Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How's the Thing in snow?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLCAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: How's the Thing in snow? Reply with quote

Live in the Midwest and see some snow, was curious how the thing handles in the snow.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't driven the Thing on snow, but have experience with other rear engine rear-wheel-drive cars. Understeer. On steroids.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't driven the Thing in the snow but back in the day, I loved driving the Bugs in the snow. Never really got stuck and loved grabbing the hand brake and sliding it around corners.
Don't try that at home kids! Very Happy
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does fine . I don't know how it does if it is on the road.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With chains it's awesome in snow.But the road salt is murder on the rocker panels. That's why I quit driving it in the snow.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot this driving thru the park this mouring

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
Haven't driven the Thing in the snow but back in the day, I loved driving the Bugs in the snow. Never really got stuck and loved grabbing the hand brake and sliding it around corners.

I concur!! ACVW's are super fun in snow!
Traction is improved with the engine weight being over the drive axle, and with good tires should go just fine. Keep in mind though, that steering/braking will be sketchy with Very little weight on the steering axle...Maybe some added weight in the trunk would help, much like folks that use weight in pickup beds for winter time.. Just reveres in a VW...

My wife was given a Fiero by her brother, as her first car... With the mid engine configuration, it would go great insnow... but steering was Worthless! She had to learn how to steer with Power And Steering wheel...

Our Thing was our family vehicle for many years and we traveled in snow quite often.. I don't recall any hairy experiences..
Remember... Slow and steady wins the race...

Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IHC wrote:
But the road salt is murder on the rocker panels. That's why I quit driving it in the snow.

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Semper Dad I don't have German music on mine, and the roads were a little better this mourning but 3 inches in November in Louisville is a lot and they did close the schools this mourning.
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Jzsquared on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
kenj06 wrote:

I concur!! ACVW's are super fun in snow!
Traction is improved with the engine weight being over the drive axle, and with good tires should go just fine. Keep in mind though, that steering/braking will be sketchy with Very little weight on the steering axle...Maybe some added weight in the trunk would help, much like folks that use weight in pickup beds for winter time.. Just reveres in a VW...

My wife was given a Fiero by her brother, as her first car... With the mid engine configuration, it would go great insnow... but steering was Worthless! She had to learn how to steer with Power And Steering wheel...

Our Thing was our family vehicle for many years and we traveled in snow quite often.. I don't recall any hairy experiences..
Remember... Slow and steady wins the race...

Smile

You just reminded me, we had 2 - 25 lb iron blocks we used to put in the front end in the winter. Dad always called them pig irons. Greatly helped the steering. And of course you had to have a scraper in hand because there was no defrost. Good Memories!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Beetle was excellent in the snow when it was in its stock condition, but it suffered greatly -- much more than I had anticipated -- when it was equipped with 16x6½ BBS wheels and proper tires for those wheels.

I have kept Thing away from the snow so far because of the salt except for a couple of times last winter when once it was necessary (Eos was getting a power window repair) and once I got caught in snow in a return trip from a party. Thing was decent both times.

I'm not sure what to expect now that my 5½-inch wide wheels have replaced the 4½-inch wheels that came with it since the newer tires have a more aggressive tread. I will resist the temptation unless we get enough snow to deter the salt spreaders or if I get caught in it again.

Strangely, the worst VW I have owned in the snow was Vanagon. Even sticking my wife and mother-in-law in "the wayback" only helped marginally. Except for my lowly (but faithful) $75 '65 Falcon, all of my Fords sucked beyond belief in the snow.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crossed the mountain passes in Oregon in my T181 thousands of times, no real issues with steering or traction. Did hydroplane it bad when I turned off the main road into an unplowed one with six inches of slush, these things slide quite frictionlessly on their belly pan for a long long way with no ability to stop or steer, kind of like riding an old car hood down a slope.
phulc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the tires.

With real wintertyres it drives brilliantly - there's a thing underneath Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqdZ3zKhSQ

http://www.181-berlin.de

Join us on facebook
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definitive answer: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615093
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simper Dad, I didn't know you had winters like that in El Paso. We just got back from a 2 day trip to Tahoe. No problem in the snow. In Kennewick, Wash. I used studded winter tires with great success.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: