Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hebmuller / 1949 Longblock Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Hebmuller / 1949 Longblock Build Reply with quote

These are the latest photos for an aluminum blocked 1949 engine that I'm putting together for a customers '49 Hebmuller. Enjoy! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If your engine is not this clean BEFORE you start assembling your engine.....STOP!!! Re-clean until the inside is just as clean as the outside!

Shortblock together now......

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com

Last edited by Mr. Okrasa on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmuller / 1949 Longblock Build Reply with quote

You haven´t cut a little hole from the front to the middle ?
So every time a half liter of old oil stay in the engine when you change the oil. That is a startermistake.
Later VW have made that cut from factoryproduction.
Marcus

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmuller / 1949 Longblock Build Reply with quote

beetlekey wrote:

"That is a startermistake"
Marcus

You are right about me being a "starter". This is my first VW engine that I ever rebuilt.........duh Brick wall

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't ment you to be a starter! He means that it was a children's disease from these early VW engines and that VW recognized this and changed it in later production. (VW was the "starter") Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you opend the camshaftbox behind the oilpump ore not?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conversations between german english speakers and american english speakers can turn so quickly Smile

i recommend to all american english speakers to perform a simple test before they get irate and jump on german english speakers:

can the question be answered with "yes", "no" or a value like "12"? if so, that is the appropriate response.

if the test fails, go ahead jump....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets get this back on track with a technical question;

Whats correct procedure to start up a completely rebuilt 25 hp engine

Turn over with starter first with plugs out to circulate oil?
Run for how long at revs?
Empty and flush?
Run in period?

Thanks,
R
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a legitimate question that deserves consideration and a reply.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymartian wrote:
Ok lets get this back on track with a technical question;

Well, the question of beetlekey was as technical as it could be.
Wasn´t it?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marcus tried to say: There has to be a breakthrough in the wall between the "crankroom" and the "room" for the two spur-gears from crankshaft and camshaft. Otherwise you won't be able to change oil completely, there will rest half a liter of oil without that breakthrough. VW has learned that and switched to it on January 1950.
It is not a "must have" but it is a "nice to have". In my opinion it makes sense to optimise the early engine a little bit, for more reliability. But I also respect if people want to stay original to the core.
I think (juged by watching his pictures) Mr Okrasa does a nice and proper work and always made people happy with his rebuilds. If he would not live over the ocean, he would be also my adress for my engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The client should be aware of this quirk of the block design. Might there be room to use an extractor through the oil filler neck, to empty the cam gear chamber? Actually, I'm more interested in the block cleaning process that was used here......
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one want to thank beetlekey. I will definitely make that mod on my oldspeed 49 case.

Please let us know any other mods and tricks you know. Maybe a thought for a new thread.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Joe will contact the owner. If not, I will inform him...as it is for an Hebmuller Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Actually, I'm more interested in the block cleaning process that was used here......

Looks like it was glass beaded - pretty clean. Nice work Joe.
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass beads = death to a motor.

They stick in the pores of the metal then come out when it gets hot. I have tried carefully blocking every orifice and fastidious cleaning and had premature failures twice - do not try this. It only takes a few grains of glass to damage bearings - they stick in the soft metal and wear away bearing surfaces.

Soda is the safest media - it dissolves in water and will not do the damage.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Fuller wrote:
Glass beads = death to a motor.

I disagree, but this is fine. I have had others tell me the same thing. Mostly from lazy engine builders who didn't want to put the work into cleaning it like that. I think they are wrong too. I use and recommend what works for me, YRMV. I glass beaded the engine case on my daily driver three years ago, and it has over 30K miles on it now. I did the same to my previous daily driver and the bearings looked pretty nice when the crankshaft split into two with 25K miles on it. It would be hard to say how mint they looked before the crank let go but they did not look like media had been run through them. Next thing someone will tell me it's the glass that caused the crank to break. I'm no metallurgist, but I think it would be impossible for glass to "stick to the pores" of the magnesium or aluminum, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it will stick to grease and oil. If you had premature bearing failure after cleaning a case with glass then I suspect you did not do a very thorough job cleaning it. I do not block any of the holes - infact quite the opposite, I encourage media to go down through the passages and can watch it come out clean through the other side. When I'm done cleaning a case with glass I will rifle brush all of the passages again and flow solvent through all of them before drying it with compressed air. Most of the passages you can sight down the length of them, only a few you cannot because of 90 degree bends but those you can watch the rifle brush come through them to verify it's clean. Then I start the machining process, alignbore, thrust, deck, set screws, etc., and ofcourse it gets cleaned again when I'm done with that.
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleseb wrote:
Well I for one want to thank beetlekey. I will definitely make that mod on my oldspeed 49 case.

Please let us know any other mods and tricks you know. Maybe a thought for a new thread.

You are welcomed.
I am not an engine guy ( i am the upholstery guy Wink )
But my knowlege come from the worker that worked for EPH ( rip )
That guy have an airplaneengine licence. He build over 1000 Planeengines frome 30hp here in my town
Other think is to put that "wing" between the kdf zylinders away, it slow the air. original ore not, put it away.
That is the reasen you find them on german ebay so cheap.
Marcus

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the deflector shown here? Looks kinda like a wing.

Don
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

Do you mean the deflector shown here? Looks kinda like a wing.

Don

Yupp, that is the bad boy.
There is also one under the zylinder but that is a must have!
Marcus

Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at it this way.

You suggest a fantastic way of detailing a motor. The finish looks awesome (and I think what has been done here also).

Some members of the forum read this think this is also a great idea and rush off to do the same. As with my experience they don't happen to remove every last bit of media and the result is catastrophic engine failure - which didn't happen to me because I noted symptoms in time.

Its irresponsible to suggest something without letting people know associated risks with such a procedure or what they have to do to eliminate them. Getting it just a little bit wrong is disastrous.

You do remove all plugs from all oil galleries to ensure you can rod out all these don't you?.... something beyond the capability of many who choose to build their own engines and not mentioned in any factory manual - call them lazy if you wish).

You can call me lazy too if you want but I have also done it without problems - pretty much required if you want to replicate Joes Gold finish on electron cases.

I can tell you that pressure flushing all galleries with clean solvent with the parts washer and repeatedly blasting out the galleries with compressed air for more than a day doesn't do it

I'll also make another couple of comments - media blasting with glass beads peens the surface of aluminium, permanently alters the structure and destroys originality that cannot be bought back. It looks fantastic but wont pass muster for originality in a top concours. There are other ways that brighten and clean aluminium or electron.

I am sure most engine machines shops will have more than one story about glass beads - mine does.

A senior engineer with a certain National airline warned me of the dangers of glass beads - I ignored his advice and it didn't go well - I can only assume the practice is not allowed in aviation engines - I wonder why.

People can make their own choice. yes it can be done. A few stray beads = death.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: