Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock radio for 1956 vw bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnath56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Stock radio for 1956 vw bug Reply with quote

Any sites other than here good for finding stock radios for a 1956 vw bug? I found the one I need on here but it doesn't work and would like to find a working one. Any advice or information is appreciated
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old motorola volumatic radios will need new vacuum tubes and capacitors to work! I would take it to a Electronics Repair Shop. They are pretty rare in working condition these days.
dnath56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter to me if it works or not. It would be more just for looks. I think mine had a sapphire from where the holes are. Just having a hard time finding one
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can watch eBay too, I see Oval-era radios on there from time to time too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock radio would be a block off plate in the dash.

Lots and lots of radios were sold by the VW dealerships and by any aftermarket supplier of radios.

Pick a radio you like the looks of or has the band/s you want that was manufactured the same year or even a few years later. Get the best condition exterior wise and complete as possible. Then send it off to get it repaired, or of course get one that has already been repaired.
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what brands were available for the '56 beetle?

I have a Sapphire I in the garage, not sure if it works or not. I'd have to dig it out. But I'm not sure if this was for the '56 or later year. My '56 came with a Motorola Big M.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to remember that these VWs were often bought new without a radio. Later when the 1st owner paid off the last for his VW, without a monthly payment the next month or two it was easy to save up and buy a radio.

Plus when the old VW was sold or traded back into the local VW shop, the dealership would spruce up the interior by replacing front seat upholstery with new, driver door card with new, and often enough to install a new radio. So if you could only afford a no frills new VW, there was the used VWs with frills for less $$$.

Have seen 1961 instructions on how to install all transistor radio in 1956 dash.

Sapphire came out in 1960.

Check out the "Archives" button at upper right and hover your mouse cursor over it. A list will pop up there. Left click on the "Literature" and on the next web page scroll down to "Miscellaneous" column. The "Radio Brochures" there is OK, but the "Accessory Brochures" just above is a bit better. Pick your year and a few years later and brows around.

Here is a previous post, found thru a search for "1956 VW radio":

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2158078
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Bard - thanks for the information. Interesting that you attached that previous post. I did a search before I posted and could only find this one. Anyway, great information.

I will pull the Sapphire out of the garage and probably post it for sale. I won't be using it any time soon.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

Do also keep in mind that VW dealers would also install radios from previous years that were just sitting on the shelf. So do check out the 54-55 radios that might strike you as great looking or have radio bands you would like to have.

Plus due to competition from the USA, most Euro automobile manufactures worked together to standardize the electrical systems so same colored wires were used. Plus the dash opening in the Euro automobiles were standardized so a Euro made radio will fit many other Euro made automobiles. EG Porsche used same Euro radios as VW, just changed the face plates, knobs, and the face with green radio numbers to match the other Porsche dash gauges.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great web site:

http://www.gutefahrt.com/

Left click on the "Radio" on the left side of the screen.

Next web page it takes you to, left click on the particular radio brand you would like to explore and then scroll down thru the info....
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/page-liens/autoradios-eur.htm

http://derwhites356literature.com/DerWhitesBlaupunktRadios.html
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a little search for nick stokes dub tunes. He has all the radios and does restorations . The Motorola you are talking about is known as "the big M "
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Do a little search for nick stokes dub tunes. He has all the radios and does restorations . The Motorola you are talking about is known as "the big M "

His site
http://www.vwradios.com/Home.html

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: