Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very Leaky Transmission
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jupitereyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Very Leaky Transmission Reply with quote

Looking for any reason why a rebuilt tranny would be leaking a lot of fluid at the bell housing. I bought this 57 a few months ago with a 1641 which runs well, but was always popping out of 4th. I installed a rebuilt transmission, (not a split case before, or after) went to the end of the street and back only to see transmission fluid pouring out of the bottom when I stopped.
I have since pulled the motor again and replaced the rear seal. It still leaks, maybe slightly less.
The next step was to be pull motor again and change the gland nut and bearing on the flywheel. It seemed fine when checked with my finger.
Is it possible for the main shaft to be bent?
Any other suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's transmission oil you'll need to change the input shaft seal on the transmission not the front seal on the engine.

The input shaft seals get really hard over time especially if the transmission sits unused. Once they get moving again they tend to leak like a sieve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the trans builder gets too generous with sealant, the vent hole gets plugged. Then when the slightest amount of heat is generated, the pressure inside the gearbox goes up and pushes fluid out.
The vent is at the top of the nose cone. Pull the gearbox out and remove the nose cone. Clear out the vent and re-install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jupitereyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did replace the input shaft seal on the transmission, I just used the wrong term. Although, I was prepared to replace the main seal on the motor , if necessary.
I will check this vent hole. I had to change the nose cone and hockey stick out to line up with my shift linkage. I may have gotten sealant in there. This would be amazing if is the only problem!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will let you know how it turns out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: