Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lucky I didn't have myself a fire!
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Lucky I didn't have myself a fire! Reply with quote

I have an electrical circuit 110v that powers my garage lights, an outside light, garage door opener and my dining room lights.
There is also a much used garage outlet on this same circuit! Who did that? Darn PO's!!!!!

Anyway, I've been battling a random flickering light issue for about a year. I've replaced suspected bad switches, changed fixtures (upgraded garage lighting for more /better light which may have actually started the problem)
And tried to isolate the source.
I even replaced the breaker once thinking that it was the cause.

Anyway, last night I stabbed the door opener button and was greeted with NOTHING!
Oh Crap!

I went to the circuit breaker box and nothing was tripped but when I turned off and then turned the service breaker on again, I had lights!

Hmmmmmm....... "Crappy breaker" thinks I...... Although part of me is thinking.... "No...... I replaced it, but I've gotten bad parts before........

I pull the box cover flip off the breaker and slip in a new one..... Everyone has spare breakers to instantly slip in.......... don't they?

From checking out the darkness many light switches were left on so when I slid the breaker to ON, I was greeting with a shower of sparks as the juice surged through the ground Buss!

Hmmmm...... Checked the screw, I cannot turn it but I'm thinking that it has welded itself tight from the heat and sparking that has been going on for a year!

Anyway, I'll fix this today and I'm just thrilled that I did NOT have a fire! I'll tighten everything and move forward without flickering lights. I'll also add another breaker for there are two lines on that one breaker! Too much amperage draw...... No wonder it trips!

Look at the 3rd screw up, see the black carbon? You can also see the white ozone residue on the side of the main breaker!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some fun fireworks!

Moral of the story?
Flickering lights? Find the problem NOW!!!!!
Don't do as I did and wait!!!!

I'm very very very Lucky!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tightened every connection in the box except the 220 feed.......

Cut off the wires at the Buss for the fastening screw is seized tight!

Cut off the burned ends and reinstalled into new lug locations.

Pretty Huh? .......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it is a good idea to turn power off and tighten every screw on an old panel. I might do that during the holidays, out house is a few decades old.

Do I see more than one wire under one of the screws? I think according to code this is a no-no-- use a wire nut on a wire stub instead?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I hear it is a good idea to turn power off and tighten every screw on an old panel. I might do that during the holidays, out house is a few decades old.

Do I see more than one wire under one of the screws? I think according to code this is a no-no-- use a wire nut on a wire stub instead?

There were indeed two, one was the neutral for the 110 15amp breaker, the other was the neutral for a 30amp 220 breaker.

I think this was caused by thermo expansion loosening the set screw on two wires.

The wires are copper and I noticed that many have a "compound" on them. Similar to what I've seen Aluminum wiring have.

I moved the 220 to it's own ground lug.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got Alum wiring, gonna snug up everything this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Ive got Alum wiring, gonna snug up everything this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

Been there done it. To make it safe we removed the meter which isolated the entire house. Then removed and cleaned each wire and used a flux for this wire then reinstalled and tightened no more problems . The power company usually will overlook a broken seal on the meter once. Don't be tempted to install backwards because it would make your bill go down. If you have the newer digital meter this wont work anyway.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't be tempted to install backwards because it would make your bill go down.

You only need to do that if you grow indoors. Wink

I got a new fancy meter. Just going to shut off the main in the box and make sure wires are not loose. Ive had no funny outlets or fixtures so its just maintenance.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
. Don't be tempted to install backwards because it would make your bill go down. .

Thats better (or just as bad) as the guy I knew who would wrap his fingers with electrical tape, slide on his wifes dish gloves, stand on a tire, pull the meter and place spoons in the lugs at night...
He was proud of his "great" idea until he got lit up.. Laughing ... and then literally lit up and fried one night.. and yet survived...
Wish I coulda witnessed that... cause I kept warning him..
After that we could tell a bad storm was on its way cause as his left eye would twitch when lightning was within 20 miles... Laughing

Dumb asses are everywhere.. It's entertainment at its best sometimes..

Good catch djkeev....

I noted our lights continuously flickering one icy evening.. Checked my breaker box in the dark.. (nothing) then took a walk down the road..
We had a main service pole breaker sizzling in our area... it would arc blue glow red, then shower sparks as it reconnected.. Did this several times and I could almost set my watch by how long it took for the current to melt the connection..
I called the fire dept and they came out and watched it with us until the power company showed up..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alain riaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routine maintenance in industrial equipment : screw tightening campaign every year.
AND
avoid screws in electrical equipment.
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never double up the neutrals. Many panels will allow you to double up the grounds provided they are the same gauge. One panel will allow you to land 3 wires under a larger lug on the buss.
I twist mine when I do it

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could have been you

Link
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... we ain't got no time for that ^^^ .. Laughing
Somebody needs to lay off the cold pop...

Props to the news anchor for not cracking up... I sure would have lost it.....

now.....Moving on......

djkeev.... and all..

Check your connections.... even for stupid odd issues...

Ill add.. as I had this happen within the last week and a half.... Confused

We were in the process of cleaning up for Thanksgiving guests last weekend.
I was running a vacuum cleaner around the house when I noticed that it would surge every 2 minutes or so.. (note: plugged into my foyer receptacle)
I really didnt put much thought into it just figured maybe some dust in the dynamo Laughing .

Later on on Thanksgiving we were sitting around shooting the shit listening the stereo when it just cut off... I tried to turn it back on and..... nothing. Cycled the power cord and it intermittently came back to life.. Confused
Later while watching a little TV .. suddenly everything electrical on my living room receptacle circuits... cycled power... twice within about 5 minutes Shocked TV, stereo etc...
I quickly tried to look at connections and figured I had a bad shelf stereo as it had been playing the audio of the TV and it seemed to cycle first. Maybe causing some back feed that the TV picked up..
Hmmm.. so unplugged it but found I still had an issue... the TV cycled by it self, then a phone on an opposite wall cycled power....
Great..... Mad (thinking back to the vacuum)
So figured I will need to check a breaker and connections over on the upcoming weekend, well I didnt make it until then.... we decided to pop in a movie last night and after about an hour into it.. things started cycling.. Living room mainly noticed as its where we were..
I then realized it seemed to be cycling when my upstairs heat pump cycled on and off..
I knew I needed to check it NOW as it seemed to be more consistent.

I grabbed a flashlight and went to the breaker box, as soon as I pulled the cover off that very distinct crack and sparks were noted on the right side...
Nothing appeared to have been hot or oxidized..
I grabbed a screw driver and just started walking down the grounds and breakers, and sure enough I had found quite a few that were questionably more loose than they should be.
After cranking down on them all, it so far seemed to cure my issues.

My home is 15 years old now, and I checked those same connections about 12 years ago when I was adding a circuit..
I would say its contributed to thermal expansion and contraction more than anything..

So check em' people.. that lil buzz may be a simple fix...

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not alone! ^^^^^
Glad you caught yours early!

Tightening connections in a circuit panel box is one of those maintenence items that never enters your mind!

I wonder how many home fires could be prevented by doing so?

I also wonder how many loose outlet wires there are in any given home as well?

One of those safety items, not unlike Dryer Fires and Plastic Vent Hoses became years ago?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Glad I'm not alone! ^^^^^

Tightening connections in a circuit panel box is one of those maintenence items that never enters your mind!

I wonder how many home fires could be prevented by doing so?

I also wonder how many loose outlet wires there are in any given home as well?

One of those safety items, not unlike Dryer Fires and Plastic Vent Hoses became years ago?

Dave

I went back and rechecked a few things.. as when I plugged our 6 zillion bulb tree heater Mad in the living room I noted a little surging in the elements.. I diagnosed it right back to the same circuits I was having issues with.
Sure enough after isolating which ground circuit... the ONE ground I thought was tight enough was cooked and threads welded.. as I could wiggle the wire a little in its pocket.
So snip'd it clean and moved it..
All is well and all issues are cured.... for this year.. Laughing

I caught it early because this topic was fresh on my mind... Wink
Thanks..

Thinking back now... Think ..
I think my initial problem started when the wife brought home a new fangled upright floor lamp about 2 year ago. Rolling Eyes When she screwed in the bulb it bent the center contact to the ground case.. and at the flick of its switch roasted the cord and sent sparks and smoke flying tripping the breaker...
This just so happened to be the same circuits my issues were on recently...

Oh.....and I agree.. if you and I have found only slight issues.... no telling whats out there going unchecked.. and unnoticed...
Pays to be tuned into your home.. (and things)

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: