Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Got a couple of these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front axle control arm bearing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave as much original on that car as possible. Cars like these aren't growing on trees anymore. It's getting harder and harder to find these unrestored cars these days. Most everything from that era falls into two categories these days-fully (and oftentimes over-) restored and then the hoodride/patina slammed lowered cars. Not too many cars like these get the chance to just remain original. With current collector car trends and movements shying away from the restored scene to the preservation scene, I'd try and retain as many of the original bits on the car as possible. Obviously replace safety related items like brakes, fuel line, tires, etc. I recently acquired a beautiful turquoise '63 Bug with 19k original documented miles. There really is nothing quite like a bone stock nice original car. I trust you'll do the right thing for the car as you get into it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. I look forward to more pics of the other cars too.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Got a couple of these:

Front axle control arm bearing?

This is what I meant too - possible front beam bearing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
What a great car and story! Looking forward to seeing the other cars, regardless of their condition.

here is another black '57. No engine (but seeing as I have 7 extras lying around that I didn't have last week...) and the interior is pretty rough. Lots of rust in the floorpans and heater channels. If folks are interested, I can do more pics of these cars.

Here is a red '56. Bottom is completely shot; it would take one of you miracle workers to bring this one back. My wife cannot believe I paid money for this and then brought it home. My daughter (off at Vanderbilt) pleaded: "tell me people cannot see these from the road in front of our house!" She's convinced I've lost my mind. You can see we had to be creative in attaching the bumpers for the trip home. The woods in the background are full of old cars. Mostly saabs, dodge trucks, and tractors. These vw's all lived out there for decades.

And finally here is a (jungle green?) '56. According to Miss. Cate, this is the one they started with by shipping it here from West Germany in 1956. She said it was wrecked in '78 or 9 and he got the barn find black '57 right after that. Which makes sense when you look at the dates in his little yellow notebook which start in '78. Props to Kevin and his son Andy (pictured) who helped load all this up and move it to my farm. They were great!

And here is the barn find being hauled onto the trailer at Miss Cate's house.

So now you have the rogue's gallery of oval windows from upstate South Carolina. As I said, if there is interest in more pics of the rough ones, I'll be glad to oblige. Oh, did I mention that she has clean titles to all of these? I own 5 vw's now! These 4 and the KG. woooohoooo.

ps can someone tell me why the blue Bentley book for these cars is so expensive? The orange one for my KG was only about $50.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Last edited by Gwdghiaguy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron..take more pic's we here @ Samba love pics......inside all sides.
Byron just a thought if you were to piece the rough ones out, you could help finance the barn find black one to road worthy weekend car. Volks are always looking for pieces to complete their projects, Or perhaps sell them to others that may want a project?
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Byron..take more pic's we here @ Samba love pics......inside all sides.
Byron just a thought if you were to piece the rough ones out, you could help finance the barn find black one to road worthy weekend car. Volks are always looking for pieces to complete their projects, Or perhaps sell them to others that may want a project?
Thomas

Great minds think alike! Wink Last night I started browsing some vw parts sites to get a feel for prices and it was an eye opener, let me tell you. I have 3 Wolfsburg crests that Wolfsburg West (say that 3 times real fast) wants $45 for.

I want to keep a couple of engines to play with and maybe a front end; the rest will go on the samba classifieds. I'm not sure of the best way to do this (and I don't mean the best way to screw all you guys looking for vintage parts) but it would be nice to recoup some of my investment. Sell them whole or part them out? And how do you ship a fender anyway? Things I've never had to consider. This is opening up a whole new world for me so any advice would be great!

Lot's more pictures coming.

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goreygoreymanunited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man who has goats and VWs! Hello brother! Sadly my childhood goats are no longer with us, I will have some more one day. This is a truly incredible find. Just when I really thought they had all dried up.

Awesome wheels on your trailer!
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done nothing to the engine compartment. Just opened the rear deck lid and looked at it. Not a lot to it, is there? I thought my '71 Ghia had a simple engine. So I think i'll spend some time cleaning up in here.

Please chime in if you see anything interesting or if I say something stupid. Not sure samba has enough bandwidth for that last part...

This carb looks better than the ones in the parts stash.

Original coil?

Lot of dust on that one.

and this fuel pump.

I may have posted this one already.

And just for jollies, here's the bus engine that Everett identified for us.

And I just did my first YouTube video. One guess as to the topic.

http://youtu.be/9YdQsxpR2UU

Enjoy!

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Last edited by Gwdghiaguy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the choke cable is still hooked up. Have you tried push pulling it? On my 58 Ghia it was rusted stuck, but I soaked it for days with blaster and wd, finally came loose, same with the fuel line, try soaking it and drilling it out with an old clutch cable, replacing a fuel line isn't the easiest chore. Great thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron, if I were you, I would build your car 1st....then sell off all the parts you didn't use. Nothing hurts worse than selling parts, and then needing that part and have to buy stuff that you sold, at sometimes twice the price you sold it for! I'm going through that right now, as are some of my friends. Swap meets are getting smaller and smaller when it comes to the early parts because a lot of people are holding onto the hard to find oval/ bus parts.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

And how do you ship a fender anyway?
Byron

Thanks for the photos of all the cars!

You can fit two front or two rear fenders into the large wardrobe boxes from UHaul and then ship them via Greyhound. $12 for the box, last time I checked, and surprisingly cheap to ship through Greyhound.

But as one or two others have mentioned. Having a ready supply of original parts cars is also very, very valuable. And it's more often than not, the little small items like specific screws or bolts that come in most handy. Even if you had to sell most of the large body parts, etc., I'd highly recommend parting out a couple doors, and at least one interior, dash and trunk, etc. and keeping EVERY little screw, bolt and random hardware piece that you can.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please can we have more pics of the other cars... this is the best haul of ovals I've seen for years and in the world of the internet we love to live vicariously.

instead of looking at repro part prices, a better guide is the classifieds here. personally I ignore the most expensive prices here as I think it's people trying their luck but it will give you an idea.

if it were me I wouldn't strip parts off the black and green cars yet, there are probably people who would love them complete, even with rust issues, as project cars.

the advice about keeping every last bolt and screw from what you strip is good and true. more and more it is the details that set a car apart. (why people love unrestored cars so much)
plus, even things that look like rubbish can have value to the right person. for instance the front fender on the red car is trashed, but it's still an og bullet fender (a 56/7 US/Canada only part), to someone with the skills to straighten it, it is 10 times better than a brand new ready to paint generic repro.
with patina'd and survivor cars being in fashion people are looking for specific parts with the right amount of patina to finish off their cars, creating an interest in stuff a restorer wouldn't look twice at.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
please can we have more pics of the other cars... this is the best haul of ovals I've seen for years and in the world of the internet we love to live vicariously.

Here is the red '56. Sorry that some of the pics are blurry.

1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are a few of the green '56.

1971 Baywindow Bus

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks like those other cars, the red one for sure, are prime candidates for parting out. They look to have a ton of great parts on them, that could go on to save some other ovals. Very Happy Cool
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Byron, if I were you, I would build your car 1st....then sell off all the parts you didn't use. Nothing hurts worse than selling parts, and then needing that part and have to buy stuff that you sold, at sometimes twice the price you sold it for!

This is great advice. That's why I'm here--to try to learn from my elders. If I don't take maximum advantage of this situation, it will be because I didn't listen to sound advice like this. Thanks motofly.
1971 Baywindow Bus

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Byron...I'm building 2 ovals at the moment. I'd love to be your neighbor right now!! You've got some solid parts there on the red and green car. My personal opinion...I wouldn't take a thing off the green car, that's an easy survivor car repair. I would love to have something to start with like that, or the worse of the black cars. Those 2 are 50% better than what I started with, and 100% more complete! If you need parts, start with the red car... If you need to make some money back from what you spent, I'd bet you could sell off the green or other black car pretty easily. I'd hate to see you have to do that, because nice oval parts are getting PRICEY! Just spend some time in the classifieds and see what it would cost you to buy everything attached to the dash. It's mind blowing!!

Scott
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the green one is definitely fixable. Very Happy

the extra gauges it have look interesting, from the senders they look like oil temp, oil pressure, fuel and ???? I take a guess it's an ammeter.

you must feel like a kid in a candy shop. I found a single scruffy 58/9 on a farm yesterday and I'm buzzing with excitement from just that.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post just keeps getting better and better. This is the first thread i check when i log on in the evening. Congrats on the major score!!! I would kill to have that green one. Hell im crazy enough to want to tackle the red one. Cut out the bad top and graft in either a new one or a rag. Lol .
Have fun with em!

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: