Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 vs 2.5 Gas mileage/ performance?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Subaru 2.2 vs 2.5 Gas mileage/ performance? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am in the beginning stages of considering a Subaru swap with a subarugears 5 Speed manual transmission. I am just starting to read and have realized the 2.5's have 30 hp more than the 2.2's.
What kind of gas mileage are you guys seeing? I have a tin top 2WD "westfakia"
If you have done a swap to a 2.2 do you wish for more power (yes we all want more power) but is there a fuel mileage penalty that would sway your decision?
Thanks for all of your help,
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Do you live in CA? If so a 2.2 may be the only easy way to go, if not then not an issue.

I have a 2.5 and get 18-22 mpg depending on how fast I drive on the highway. Around the burbs I get 20 mpg, on the highway at 75 mph I get 18, at 55-60 mph I get closer to 22. YMMV. Very Happy

I have no experience with a 2.2...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave O,
Thanks for the response. I live in Carnation Washington so California emissions won't effect me. Thanks for the info.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Subaru 2.2 in a Vanagon Syncro, because I live in California.

I was very disappointed with the lack of power. Do not go there.

Fuel mileage is not a relevant variable. Regardless what gas motor you have, you will get essentially the same gas mileage. Because the weight of the van is a constant, and it takes a certain amount of fuel to move the mass of the vehicle a certain speed.

Definitely go with a 2.5, its a MUCH better option, because if you want to, you can go faster uphill than with a 2.2.

I hated my 2.2 on the freeway above 5000 feet in rolling hills of Arizona and New Mexico. I could not keep up with 75mph traffic, and often had to use 3rd on hills... on the freeway! A 2.2 at altitude is a DOG. Ask me how I really feel, LOL...
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.2 in a Carat with an auto, stock rims, and tire size. I get 21.something mpg consistently. Good power upgrade compared to stock, but not a rocket ship. Fully loaded to go camping the van does okay until you get up in the high Sierra and then it definitely is running out of power, but where the stock engine was pushing us at 35mph at the top of the passes the 2.2 has us up around 50mph. Lower down (0-5000 ft) its fine and I can easily keep up with traffic. This is all similar to the 2.0 inline-4 I did previously. Made the van useful and reliable, but you won't win any races. In CA you are looking at the 2.2 or the 1.8T. I would have gone 1.8T if I had the money (you need Stephan's kit to do it legally in CA with the auto). But for $3,500 I got a useable van that can make it over the Sierra and its reliable.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.2L large block Subaru conversion in a full Westfalia with an automatic transmission. I consistently get 16 to 19 mpg.

Your question about gas mileage is interesting to me because I have seen quotes of anywhere from 14 to 26mpg for Subaru converted vans on TheSamba. All things being equal, I would expect a 2.2 to get better gas mileage than a 2.5. But clearly, there are variations in vehicle weight, tire size, transmissions, etc. that make it hard to figure out the difference in gas mileage.

Do you know if anyone is doing Subaru installations with a focus on improved gas mileage? Since you are not in California, I wonder if you have any options available to you that would provide better gas mileage. Does an OBD2 install get better gas mileage than an OBD1?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever factors come into play and opinions differ. My Syncro Multivan went from about 14.5 to almost 17 on average with a swap from a stock 2.1 to a stock 2.2 Subaru. Subaru is a more efficient engine, I agree it is not as powerful as my friends 3.0 6 hole Subaru ,but except for the 3 times a year I either to Tahoe a or over the Grapevine it is miles ahead of a stock WBX.
For those guys doing conversions ,you should keep in mind that when you do sell a converted Van that there is a good chance it will end up in California . I have seen tons of vans foe sale that will not Smog in California. I know every one is going to keep their vans forever, but some times forever comes quicker than you think.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
forever comes quicker than you think

wise words

If contemplating a sale to a california resident, who expects to keep up with freeway traffic, the 180 hp 1.8t is far superior in terms of power and driveabily, compared to the 137 hp subie 2.2

there are 2 California vendors supporting 1.8t conversion options
http://www.gmwerks.com/Vanagon.html
http://www.h2ovanagon.com
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't honestly think the difference would be staggering between the two, especially if you are going to the trouble of installing the subaru 5mt. My 85 Westy with the EJ22 is pretty peppy IMO for a Vanagon, and I also own a 2001 Forester with the 2.5. While I guess I'd like the 2.5 for the marginal power improvement, I think the EJ22 is proven as a far more reliable powerplant from a headgasket perspective, and given the difficulty in bleeding cooling systems in a Vanagon, a more tolerant powerplant is a desireable trait Wink

I may consider doing a homebrew Turbo/intercooled build on my EJ22 at somepoint...but really from what I've read the Subaru 5mt tranny is the best improvement overall for proper gearing to take advantage of the Subaru's power delivery traits.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval dude,
The 2.2 isn't much of an upgrade for a full westy or syncro, but are fine for the tintops. The 92-94 2.2 is a bullet proof engine, BUT, if you are considering the early obd1 - it really limits you to that engine only. The later OBD2 2.2's allow for a much easier swap to the 2.5 if more power is desired.

I was still downshifting in my 2.2 over the passes in my westy, but you can easily go 60+ in 3rd because these engines easily can run at 5k all day if needed. The combo of a 2.2 and a 5 speed would have eliminated that though - especially in a tintop. I drove Clymers 2.5/5speed combo - it was awesome. What should have been done from the factory in my mind.

You are very close to many with both 2.2's and 2.5's, so I would drive both engine conversions and decide. I don't think you will see a hit in mileage from the 2.2 to the 2.5 - maybe 1 mpg. But it is so hard to tell due to how fast you drive and how the mileage really goes down with speed.

You should have run down 202 a few weeks ago for the Meet at Marymoor. There were dozens of both there!

Paul
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine there isn't a huge mileage difference between the 2.2 and 2.5... but what about a 2.2 with the bus transaxle vs that same 2.2 with the subie 5mt? I've been counting on putting a turbo ABA in my van, but reading all these threads about the subie trans has me second guessing myself... I had a 97 legacy wagon with the 2.2 and 5 speed. That car was amazing. I owned it from 150k to 250k miles, and it didn't ask for anything except oil changes and a timing belt job, it got 30mpg on the highway, and would go through a foot of snow without thinking twice. Very Happy
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Westy Weekender poptop with the Phase 2 EJ22 scoots just fine, MPG is typically 18-22 - it's capable of speeds that the van really is not, I've zipped around at 85mph a few times and there was still more to give, I would guess top speed is 90-95mph.

If you spend a lot of time above 5k feet, maybe the lack of power would get annoying, but I think it would be fine. Granted I'm not hauling around a kitchen, or driving two extra wheels. Under 5000 feet it will climb all but the very steepest grades in 4th gear. The later EJ22 (Phase 2) have about +10hp +10tq over the earlier motors, which isn't insignificant.

I would really choose one over the other based on the condition of the motor / miles / price / etc as opposed to overall speed / performance - they're both huge upgrades over a stock WBX motor.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our EJ22 has been in the Syncro Westy since 2004. It is an early KEP kit. I bought it in Calif with the badge intact. I live in Utah and am always climbing canyons to get anywhere. It does lack the power you would want, but I have learned to downshift and can usually run 65 at 4900 RPM and unless it is over 6% grades it is just fine sitting there.

Mileage varies but is always 18-22 mpg.

I would love the additional power, but am reluctant to add more stress to the transaxle and loose the ability to sell to a future owner in Calif.

I may be slower than most of you, but I "WILL" get there not much behind you. Wink
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, the 2006+ have around 178hp fully floored and about 150 with the gas pedal at 1/3 or less (funny but they are specs). The second intake valve being almost close this way.

The Legacy SOHC 2011-2013 is supposed to have 190hp

In other words, if you drive all day long at 50-55mph you should get 340+ mile per tank.

But I did so with my 2002 full 16 valves in Mexico, I was close to 600km (370miles) driving 85-90kmph (50-55 mph).

A good 2.2L in full shape will follow any 2.5L on acceleration until 50 mph is reached.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine you choose partly depends on the Subarugears R&P you choose. If you go for the 4.11, I would say you definitely need the extra power of the 2.5L. If you decide to drop to the 4.44, the 2.2L would be great in a lighter van. With the 4.44 R&P, gears 3-4 would actually be slightly lower than the stock transmission so, climbing hills in 4th would be a breeze.
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information.

wcdennis; great point about which Ring and Pinion I choose may dictate the engine.
Syncro Jael, dobryan,and Iliketowalk: thank you for the MPG figures and your honest analysis of the performance.
Franklinstower: Great info. I would like to find "Clymer" and get some input from him about MPG figures.
Geodude: great info.
Jon_slider: Thanks for the thoughts on performance. What were/are your MPG figures?

You guys have provided me with a bunch of real world information. It looks like I need to research the ring and pinion choices from Subarugears and get some more MPG figures from the 2.5 guys.

Peter
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driving is about half highway and half very hilly terrain. My van is a tintop thats usually empty or loaded with tools/materials. 07' 2.5 and Im getting 20 to 23 mpg.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that there is no significant mpg difference betwween the 2.2 and the 2.5.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent driven a 2.2 conversion but it sounds like the extra .3 litres makes a world of difference. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: