Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Gazelle Beige wheels
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: 1956 Gazelle Beige wheels Reply with quote

I'm trying to locate a decent picture of an L379 brown...anything. The wheels on my Lowlight have been repainted more orange than brown and I'd really like to get them back to the right tone. I've seen what pics are currently posted and am looking for something more close-up and reproducible. Any help would be appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Gazelle Beige wheels Reply with quote

Reverend Jim wrote:
I'm trying to locate a decent picture of an L379 brown...anything. The wheels on my Lowlight have been repainted more orange than brown and I'd really like to get them back to the right tone. I've seen what pics are currently posted and am looking for something more close-up and reproducible. Any help would be appreciated!

As you've been looking for pictures I'm assuming you've already seen these from the Lowlight Registry...
This one almost looks a copper colour: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=144

This one as you say "orange": http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=312
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey john, Yes, thanks.
The former is likely the picture I will use if nothing else magically shows up in the next short while. The latter is actually my car, when my buddy still owned it. Just changed hands this summer, and that shot was its first bath when we pulled it out after 25 years languishing in a storage unit.
Appreciate the response! - Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that's a great looking Ghia Jim....and....I've looked and notice you've been hiding it from us. Wink

Any chance of starting a topic about it and a little of its known history. Question

BTW The official '56 Brochure looks very Coppery too:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, a very lovely early Ghia!

... but isn't there something wrong with this picture?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it looks to me like either the center cap or the steering wheel itself is mounted upside down.
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'll get together the history of the vehicle and start a post on it soon.

KGCoupe, that is a very rare performance accessory upside-down steering wheel. Guaranteed to add 10mph and 20mpg. It has been long since corrected.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Copper Red L221 is a close match.
It's a delicious colour.

It was found on the wheels of 1953-1955 Light Beige (L275) Beetles:

Light Beige (rim outer) looks similar to Gazelle Beige.

I have a set of rims from a Light Beige (I think) beetle.
Painted over, but og Copper Red (tbc) underneath

Colour chip showing L379

Def more brown than Coral Red.

Who can post up a pic of original Rims from a Gazelle Beige Ghia?
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best picture! Colour seems to match the interior..

Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the responses. Thanks!

I'm working with my buddy's restoration shop to get as close as we can in paint and/or powdercoat. I'll post my findings and the finished product when they are done. - Jim
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more…

8URN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody ever find a modern day correct mixing formula for the L379?
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I have to say that's a great looking Ghia Jim....and....I've looked and notice you've been hiding it from us. Wink

Any chance of starting a topic about it and a little of its known history. Question

BTW The official '56 Brochure looks very Coppery too:

Sorry for the long delay, but life gets in the way of cars sometimes. Here is some history of the Ghia.

The furthest back that I have information is 1959. Mr. Pihl was the owner at the time. His family says they thought that “grandpa” had purchased it either new or close to new from Economotors in Riverside. A claim that I can not substantiate, other than a service-coupon book-cover from Economotors that was included in the service records I got with the car.

Mr. Pihl owned the car from this time until the late 1990s. I have service records from quite a number of Volkswagen dealerships and European service centers up and down California. He and his wife, and the Ghia, moved a number of times from southern to northern California. Mr. Pihl put in a triple gauge in the dash in 1960. The Ghia’s engine went belly up in ’61 and a dealership put in a 40hp replacement. That engine disappeared at some point and another was put in its place by the time we found it. Unfortunately, the sending units went with the old engine. In ’79 and 80 He put a new paint job on the car, and freshened the interior with original colors and materials.

The couple moved to Oregon in the 90’s and the car was re-tagged with Oregon VIN numbers…I don’t know why. The couple moved back to Chico in the late 90’s and, having been born in 1914, Mr. Pihl eventually passed away. The car went into a storage unit, and stayed there, sleeping, until 2008. Mrs. Pihl passed away, and the family started taking care of her estate. A very good friend of mine was told of the car by a co-worker years prior. The man was Mrs. Pihl’s grandson, and he relayed that none of the immediate family was interested in the car, and that he knew my friend would be. When Mrs. Pihl passed away, and the time came, a deal was tentatively made. We went to look at the car, and were amazed at what we saw. The thing was time-capsuled in that storage unit with about an inch of dust on it, but it was almost totally complete. The deal was sealed and it went home with my buddy. He picked at it over the next four years or so, but his interests waned, and focused on other passions. Knowing that I had always loved the car, he offered it to me in an as-is state at a price he knew I could afford.

Once I got the car, the real work started. We got all the VIN stuff squared away and, after a mere 8 months of fighting, got a clear 1956 CA title to the car, and swell ’56 license plates. The electrical, brakes, fuel, and 40hp were all service either by me or another good friend, and the car was up and running. After working out a number of issues and cobwebs from sitting so long, the Ghia is now running and driving (and stopping!) and a cherished part of our family. I have service paperwork, receipts, notes, registrations, etc. from 1959 to the present. We are proud to keep Mr. Pihl’s baby alive and well, and continue to restore and maintain her with great care.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think having history of the car is a big plus and I suppose there aren't many out there who would argue with us Jim. It does also place a responsibility on you as a "custodian" rather than simply an "owner" and shapes the way you approach a restoration and how much you do and how much you leave alone...even if it's not strictly right or to your taste. Smile

Any pictures? I'm itching to see how it's coming on. Wink
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I like to think having history of the car is a big plus and I suppose there aren't many out there who would argue with us Jim. It does also place a responsibility on you as a "custodian" rather than simply an "owner" and shapes the way you approach a restoration and how much you do and how much you leave alone...even if it's not strictly right or to your taste. Smile

Any pictures? I'm itching to see how it's coming on. Wink

I'll have it out this weekend and get some pics to post.
aircooledguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car could not be in better hands. Thanks, Jim!
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Gazelle Beige wheels Reply with quote

Been quite some time, as the birth of my son and my first year of being a dad has been pretty consuming! I'm going to shoot a test panel of some powder-coat in RAL8023 "orange brown" this week. I will post results...if they are even close!
Reverend Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Jim wrote:
Appreciate all the responses. Thanks!

I'm working with my buddy's restoration shop to get as close as we can in paint and/or powdercoat. I'll post my findings and the finished product when they are done. - Jim

Well, a long time has passed, but I now work with that buddy, and have found a very nice match to the L379 brown in question. I'm starting on that project after a long hiatus (and a kid) and I will post pictures when they are coated. They will be sporting Firestone black-wall bias plys and trim rings as well. Getting excited to have her back on the road, sporting new shoes!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: