Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ Reply with quote

This Vanagon driver is wanted for questioning as he has been allegedly trying to lure young people/children to his van in the San Tan Valley, Arizona. Namely my neighborhood and other surrounding areas. There have been multiple reports. One mother claim he chased her daughter. He also reportedly pulled a dog into his van and then tried to get a child to get in. His license plates are fake, 4 different plates so far. If you know this vehicle or driver contact me and I will pass on the info or the san tan valley Sheriff department. Surely someone knows this Van.

He has been driving all over the various communities freaking people out and have all mothers up in arms. Hanging around the schools and at the bus stops. They started a facebook page to catch him and his " Hippy Van"..... Please help resolve this ASAP...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On Nov. 20, 2014, at approximately 7:41 a.m., the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office received a report of suspicious activity related to the driver of a white van near a school bus stop on N. Honeysuckle Dr, San Tan Valley, AZ. The caller felt the driver of the van may have been trying to lure children to get into his vehicle.

According to bus driver, who was the reporting party, the bus stop serves to transport students for Magma Ranch Elementary.

Upon investigation, Deputies learned that the incident today stemmed from a Facebook posting that a student believed she observed on the previous day; warning people of a suspicious white van in the area.

While walking to her school bus stop, today, the student observed a white van drive by her. The vehicle, however, continued in the same direction it was traveling and she did not observe the driver attempt to stop, talk to or lure her in any manner.

The student, being weary of the vehicle, wisely turned around and ran in the other direction, but was still able to catch her bus and make it to school. The vehicle, in question today, was described as an older-model, white Volkswagen-type van.

Though posts on social media suggest there was a report on Fri., Nov. 14, 2014, this represents the first known report to the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office involving a vehicle matching this description.

Any member of the public with additional information related to this incident or vehicle is asked to call Sgt. Ross Teeple by contacting the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office at 520-866-5111.

Sheriff Paul Babeu stated, “The Pinal County Sheriff's Office takes these types of situations seriously and we will continue to actively investigate. Parents and the public are reminded to remain vigilant as to any suspicious activity, especially when it involves our children.”

Last edited by Kommercial on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone recognizes any of the stickers on the rear window that might also be useful info.

This creep needs to be hauled in.

At least I don't see a Samba sticker on there.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!

So I actually just called the Washington State Patrol office and had them run that plate. It's a bit hard to read, but looks like Z11 XSW ? But also the X could be a K and the W could be a V. Maybe someone with a better computer monitor can verify. Anyway, the non emergency number is 425-401-7788.

The WSP could not provide any information on the plates. They stated it would be far more useful to have the VIN. I asked if they could check by vehicle make and model, but they stated they had no way of performing a search like that with their software.

Is anyone missing a van? Seems like with the Seahawks sticker the owner would from the PNW. Either way, hope this guy gets busted and quick!

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this gives me a BIG WTF.. a plat number you say, nearly complete only a couple variations possible and you know the make and model
but the State DMV can't figure it out on their end.. Rolling Eyes

61Scout wrote:
Yikes!

So I actually just called the Washington State Patrol office and had them run that plate. It's a bit hard to read, but looks like Z11 XSW ? But also the X could be a K and the W could be a V. Maybe someone with a better computer monitor can verify. Anyway, the non emergency number is 425-401-7788.

The WSP could not provide any information on the plates. They stated it would be far more useful to have the VIN. I asked if they could check by vehicle make and model, but they stated they had no way of performing a search like that with their software.

Is anyone missing a van? Seems like with the Seahawks sticker the owner would from the PNW. Either way, hope this guy gets busted and quick!

Kevin

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tag is 711 XSV. Very clear when the photo isn't enlarged as it's been posted on the Facebook Vanagon Owners group
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With multiple plates this guys in a stolen van and has a plan thats not good. Bad news.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
His license plates are fake, 4 different plates so far.

Poster stated the suspect has been using fake plates.

Still, the plates are from Washington and it has a Seahawks sticker.

I wonder if it was stolen.

Here's a slightly better photo:

Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fish emblem where the VW emblem should be is also a good clue. Maybe someone has seen that emblem before?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the fuel lines have not been changed.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I called on the correct plates, but the WSP still can't help. Basically, not being the owner of the stolen vehicle and/or the stolen plates (who knows if the plates are from the stolen vehicle) they won't be able to release any information to me. She said she'd put some notes in the computer, but that's the best she could do at this time.

She said the best thing to do is for the folks in AZ, especially the victims in this case, to report and make sure AZ law enforcement has it on their radar. If enough (or the right) pressure is placed on AZ law enforcement they will post a report to other states to keep a look out for this van.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwood443 wrote:
That fish emblem where the VW emblem should be is also a good clue.

The VW emblem is only located there on the later years making it a little easier to figure out the year range.
Probably a stolen PNW van on vacation. Sad

Screwing around like that in a open carry state is asking for trouble.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously! THe dudes face is right in the DS rearview...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Screwing around like that in a open carry state is asking for trouble.

Not only that, he's a complete moron for attempting anything illegal, especially child abductions, in a Vanagon Westy here.
They are relatively rare sights in the metro Phoenix area and, ergo, attract a bit of attention just while driving around running errands.

I'm on the north side of town, but will keep my eyes open.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Seems like with the Seahawks sticker the owner would

be a bandwagon jumper.
_smoker_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But seriously, if I ever saw someone trying to lure my kids into a vehicle, the police would be the last thing he'd have to worry about.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, let's hope rampant vigilantism doesn't take hold before the alleged perp is questioned by the authorities.

Years ago, when my then very pregnant wife and I were turning into our driveway in our nearly new '96 Passat TDI, I noticed a couple kids were walking on the sidewalk. I stopped mid turn and motioned for them to proceed, obviously implying (I thought) that I would wait until they passed. The kids' eyes grew wide, and they tore off across my lawn as they high-tailed it out of sight. We thought the behavior odd, but moved on with our lives. About twenty minutes later, a cop shows up at the door and begins asking odd questions. We quickly reach the conclusion that the kids had misinterpreted my waving as a kind of luring behavior. Crisis averted, but it was certainly a valuable lesson in how easily it is to mix perfectly innocuous signals with those of nefarious intent.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated original msg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon "abducter" wanted for questioning, AZ Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

Here's a slightly better photo:

Here's an even better pic....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we can catch him when he gets vanagon syndrome and posts on here. .......
but really. its a double crime cause he's subjecting a westy to it.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing it on channel 5 news in 30 mins

Last edited by Kommercial on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: