Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" 9 slot beauty rings
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: 15" 9 slot beauty rings Reply with quote

Hey Samba friends.

I just purchased a set of NOS '15" beauty rings. I thought they would fit my '67 Beetle, but I'm not so sure. Does anyone know what a 9 slot set will fit? From my research, the '67 seems like 10 slots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Forgive me if this has been talked about before.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they were optional on all 1965 Beetle models. Consider yourself lucky, I tried to get a set for my 64, but no one sells them anymore. Click on the link to see my 65 111 "A" sedan.. I still have the originals, but bought these from BFY NOS before they went out of business ;
http://pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0133_edited_1.jpg
http://pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0131_edited_1.jpg
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Yes, they were optional on all 1965 Beetle models. Consider yourself lucky, I tried to get a set for my 64, but no one sells them anymore. Click on the link to see my 65 111 "A" sedan.. I still have the originals, but bought these from BFY NOS before they went out of business ;
http://pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0133_edited_1.jpg
http://pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0131_edited_1.jpg

Thanks so much.
I just went out to my garage, and these do actually fit my '67 rims. The bigger question is, was 9 or 10 slots correct for the '67? Also, what are these worth?
aircooledartifacts.com

Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Thanks so much.
I just went out to my garage, and these do actually fit my '67 rims. The bigger question is, was 9 or 10 slots correct for the '67? Also, what are these worth?

I think less for 67, if you go to W/West and look at the beauty rims they show which are different and certainly more abundant they sell for $160 bucks, ironically when you go to their first page it has a picture of the rings on a later..1968+ Beetle. Anyroad your NOS one are worth a lot more! Lucky guy!
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Thanks so much.

I think less for 67, if you go to W/West and look at the beauty rims they show which are different and certainly more abundant they sell for $160 bucks, ironically when you go to their first page it has a picture of the rings on a later..1968+ Beetle. Anyroad your NOS one are worth a lot more! Lucky guy!

Are you wanting to make me an offer? Laughing
aircooledartifacts.com

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:
erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Thanks so much.

Sorry , I have my originals and the re-pops that you saw in the link. I do think they should go to a SERIOUS collector who would do them justice.
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:
erokCom wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Thanks so much.

Sorry , I have my originals and the re-pops that you saw in the link. I do think they should go to a SERIOUS collector who would do them justice.

No worries. I just put them on my '67. They sure look nice.. Laughing
aircooledartifacts.com

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 67...

9 slot should be VWOA Accessory for the 65 and earlier.
They wont fit under the 66/67 cap neatly due to the cap retention differences..

Nice find.. and an easy sale.. since most of the repro's now are 8 slot like the late models..

Found them in brochures from 57 -65 (and see for 66 67 under)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/57accessories.php

66 and 67 = 10 larger oval slots correspond to the slotted rims.

glutamodo wrote:
I don't think there were many options for those 66-67 wheels - I'm assuming you still have the original style slotted wheels and not older smoothies?

Ghias and Convertibles came stock with trim rings, although Ghias changed to 4-lug for 67, so here's a page from a 66 brochure showing them:

And from a 67-model-year accessories brochure:

Rome wrote:
Remember that the convertibles were built at Karmann in Osnabrueck, not at Wolfsburg where the sedans were built. '67 Sedans had 2-tone wheels (in '66 too) with the new slotted cooling vents. I'm quite sure (Bill May will most likely confirm or correct me) that the "beauty rings" as shown above were standard equipment on Beetle convertibles as of 1966. In order to provide the most contrast thru the brake cooling holes, Karmann would've painted the entire wheel black. Whether those rings and the hubcaps were installed at the factory, or kept loose in the car and installed by the dealer, I don't know, but imagine that they were kept loose in the car for shipping purposes (lessen chance of damage).

Also, you must be careful when you order the rings for a '67- the ones shown above are the correct ones for just those 2 years. The holes were a fat oval, not a narrow slit like the ones for the unvented 5-bolt hole wheels from '65 and earlier. Since the '66 and '67 wheels used a different type of "flat" hubcap than from '68 on, the rings for a '68 and later Beetle (with the 4-bolt wheels) would not fit right. I'm sure that the 4-bolt rings also had a different amount of cooling slots, and they were shaped ever so slightly differently too.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. These will be for sale here on the site later today.
aircooledartifacts.com

AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...

Here they are..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721343

Or directly from our site.
http://lanerussell.com/products/genuine-vw-beauty-rings
aircooledartifacts.com

shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new set of 10 slot Beauty Rings and can't decide if I want to put them on my '66.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran

Last edited by shortride on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
I've got a new set of 10 slotted ones and can't decide if I want to put them on my '66.

NOS?
aircooledartifacts.com

shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
shortride wrote:
I've got a new set of 10 slotted ones and can't decide if I want to put them on my '66.

NOS?

I don't know. The original owners I bought the car from include them when I bought the car. How do you identify a set of NOS?

AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
erokCom wrote:
shortride wrote:

NOS?

I don't know. The original owners I bought the car from include them when I bought the car. How do you identify a set of NOS?

Metal quality, along with the curves of the openings. Also, VW stamped. Post a photo.
aircooledartifacts.com

shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
shortride wrote:
erokCom wrote:
shortride wrote:

NOS?

Metal quality, along with the curves of the openings. Also, VW stamped. Post a photo.

These look too new to be NOS. Sorry for the out of focus photo.

AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not NOS. But shiny. I bet they are EMPI.
aircooledartifacts.com

shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
I bet they are EMPI.

Is that good?

AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
erokCom wrote:
I bet they are EMPI.

Is that good?

Not as good as NOS. But, good.
aircooledartifacts.com

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be so sure they are aftermarket..
The aftermarket ones are 8 slots.. even the EMPI ones.

When in doubt look for a makers mark or VW logo.
I dont think the 9 or 10 slots have been reproduced.. ever..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Dont be so sure they are aftermarket..
The aftermarket ones are 8 slots.. even the EMPI ones.

When in doubt look for a makers mark or VW logo.
I dont think the 9 or 10 slots have been reproduced.. ever..

Wrong..
http://www.jbugs.com/product/9554.html
aircooledartifacts.com

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: