Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Off Topic whats it worth thread...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: The Off Topic whats it worth thread... Reply with quote

I am looking at Things with hopes to purchase one in the near future. My intention is to improve the thing for off road use but not to the point where I start chopping things up to get there. I was thinking a body lift, Cut and turn the beam, maybe 2" trailing arms, taller tires, re gearing the trans, and possibly a limited slip down the road. A full cage will be added. My question is if this type of work is done in good taste does it increase the resale value of the thing or decrease it? Or another way of looking at it... If all this was already done on a thing would it be worth more than a nice stock thing?
Thanks for the discussion and your thoughts in advance.

Last edited by Metal Twister on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the lack of quality in most peoples work, most any modification reduces the value of a vehicle in comparison to stock, at least in IMO.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes since... But as a custom car fabricator I only build the best so not to sure how that would hold up? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to buy, build, and flip this Thing as part of your business?

If the answer is "No", then don't worry about the resale value. Build what you want, and enjoy it. Cool
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a 1931 Model A Ford hot rod brings a lot more than a restored Model A. I typically buy and use the cars until someone makes me the offer I cant refuse, then its gone and Im on to the next project. I dont have any experience with the Things but I like the fact that they are basically a street legal off road car. Id hate to do my thing to it and find out later I could of put it in a container and sold it for more if untouched? As long as I dont start chopping it up the process can always be reversed I suppose. If it doesn't really make any difference I will probably just do what I want with it and not worry about it as you mentioned. I was just curious what most thought...

If I found one already done the way I want it, would it be worth more or less than an original. Im just thinking in terms of doing comps before I make an offer.
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a little more for my 73 because it was rust free and all stock. That being said I'm pulling the engine to install something with a little more power. I'll probably keep the stock engine & sell with the car some day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Twister,
The Thing values fluctuate and are all over the scale... There is no rhyme or reason(that I've picked up on) on why those prices are where they are...

It takes a purist to appreciate an untouched Thing, and agree to keep It that way.... There are plenty of highly modified Things out there that are well done and the asking price is much more than a stocker(unless an Aculpoco)..much like your Model A example....

All that being said, a posted asking price is never changed to show the sold for price.... So it's hard to judge pricing just by asking prices...
Anything is only worth what someone will pay... That is Its value....
I'm sure you know all that, just putting it out there for posterity....

In sum, there is no direct answer for your question! Lol Rolling Eyes
Clear as mud? Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, thanks for the honest reply's. So about the same as with any vehicle I guess. Ive really been impressed with the difference in prices being asked for these little Things. One thing for sure none are cheap! LOL At least here In So Cal. I have had my eye on one for a while now. No rust except for where the battery was located and that has a new floor pan ready to install. It has all the aftermarket stuff on it and sanded down and ready for paint so Im going to most likely make him an offer in the 8 grand range. Thanks again
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most people know Ron and me ( the Domeck Brothers) build what we think are some of the best Things on the road we build stock to modified, we build all of them the best we can. I drive a modified thing Ron drives a modified and a pure stock Thing . Value is in what the owner thinks his Thing is worth. If you are keeping your Thing as Ron and I do build it like you want and enjoy it as we do, but if you are building it to resale and you want the top money build it as stock as you can if you build it to your taste don't expect to sell it and make money. Our cars are not like 32 fords I have a 39 Citroen that I built as a streetrod it was not a high dollar car as stock it will bring more money as a streetrod. How many times have you seen someone lower a thing so low that it is not drivable they keep it a short time then can't understand why it will not bring good money. If you build it for money keep it stock if you are keeping it build like you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect since to me. Since my post this morning the owner of the thing I have been looking at happened to stop by the shop. Seems he has another project that he needs to get busy on. He was wondering if I would be interested in doing some barter work for the Thing? Heck yeah! Ive got to crunch some labor numbers and see if we can come to terms. Who knows... One good thing is that we came to price of around 8 grand as a fair price for it. Turns out it comes with new un used paddle tires for the sand which I am indifferent to as well as a newly rebuilt trans-axle with lower gears for off road if needed? Fresh 17something motor with a new Weber carb. Hum, guess the only thing I get to do is build a full cage... LOL And its California smog exempt!!!!! Oh happy days!
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
As most people know Ron and me ( the Domeck Brothers) build what we think are some of the best Things on the road we build stock to modified, we build all of them the best we can. I drive a modified thing Ron drives a modified and a pure stock Thing . Value is in what the owner thinks his Thing is worth. If you are keeping your Thing as Ron and I do build it like you want and enjoy it as we do, but if you are building it to resale and you want the top money build it as stock as you can if you build it to your taste don't expect to sell it and make money. Our cars are not like 32 fords I have a 39 Citroen that I built as a streetrod it was not a high dollar car as stock it will bring more money as a streetrod. How many times have you seen someone lower a thing so low that it is not drivable they keep it a short time then can't understand why it will not bring good money. If you build it for money keep it stock if you are keeping it build like you want.

Do you have any parts left over from that 39 Cit that you want to sell?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we are now talking about Citroen'sQuestion I'm new here so I'm guessing the Samba is un like other forums where folks try to stay on topic? This thread has run its course so have at it guy!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relinquishing the thread to the off topic post. No problem I will keep the guidelines in mind for the future.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my sarcasm was a little heavy handed, but those of us who have been here a while know you won't get a more definitive answer than the Domeck brothers'. Do I recognize the background of your avatar pick from Anza Borrego?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let everyone know I sent him a private message about my Citroen Thanks
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="
Do I recognize the background of your avatar pick from Anza Borrego?[/quote]

Hey I'm sorry about being so rigid the other day. It was a rough one and I took it out on strelnik. I apologizes. I'm really not that uppity about things like this.

Good eye!
Yes, split mountain about 1980 ish... That 68 bug was one of the first in San Diego with a full fender body lift on it. I widened the stock wheels and ran the old Armstrong Norseman tires on it. I loved that car! I've gone full circle with off road vehicles and soon will be going to a thing it appears.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another life I was a G-Wagen guy. This was my a 300GE cabriolet, photographed within a few feet of where your photo was taken.

How's that for off-topic? Wink
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the thread up to what ever by changing the title a tad...

very nice! I too frequent that place a few times a year. Usually through Diablo Drop on the way out to superstition. My current gas guzzling Desert Hippo. Its a 74 P Jeep Cherokee. In the same canyon... Back when I had the little wheels on it.

Im sure In the next few months I will have a pic or two of my thing under those canyon walls. Oh that just sounds sooooo wrong! LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: