Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil sump stud replacement
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klammydia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Oil sump stud replacement Reply with quote

I post this in fear of being told to do a search. I have done much reading and have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. Being a novice I'm a little nervous and just want a little motivation before I start tomorrow. I did my first oil change on my own some months ago and when I went to do it again found the threads on one stud or possibly the nut are stripped. I think I've safely concluded it's not the one connected the the sump bracket inside. I've also come to the conclusion that the engine casing is not stripped there because I marked the stud and the nut spun but the marking therefore the stud didn't move positions. I think at this point I just need to use my bolt extractor back out the stud and loctite the new stud in place. I've also seen almost every post have some comment referencing using step-studs and less recommended Helicoils. So is it really as simple as I think it should be or am I in for a doozy.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stud itself is not moving, then just take the old one out and replace with a new stud and nut. Not too complicated. Bought a few engine cases a while back that were missing some studs. If the new stud screws in place just fine, you can then back it out and apply loctite for a final installation and then add your new nut and be on your merry way.

Heres a discussion from the past.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20

And a place to get the studs

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/newsearch.aspx?S=oil%20drain%20plate%20stud&Y=&G=&C=

The oversized ones will only be needed if your stud is stripped from the case side. Otherwise it's super easy

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Klammydia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the reply Bret.

I drove to jbugs a few days ago to get the gaskets and picked up a stud while I was there. I just wanted to hear from someone else that this is going to be as easy as I thought.

Spencer
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just want to make sure you get the right loctite. Some types break down with oil and heat and others are designed for weak thread locking.

#263 seems to check all the right boxes.

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797951950849
Klammydia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I got it out first try, and only sustained minor injuries! Off to get some loctite. Thanks for the tips and confidence that came with it.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Loctited two of mine in the summer, and two weeks ago I did another oil change and they came out again. I had to Heli-Coil them -- you can get them at Ace Hardware, if need be.

I hope yours don't come to that, though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: