Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a gas heater today
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Scored a gas heater today Reply with quote

Hey guys! I picked up a gas heater today. I haggled the guy and bought it for 80 bucks. It's a stewart warner model 8345c 12volt I can't seem to locate the exact manuals in the technical section. It appears on first inspection that I'm missing the cable. I'd love some technical advice if anyone is willing to help. I'll load up some pics here in a few. I've searched read through multiple threads trying to find the answers. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm cold!! Wink
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tag
[/img]

I assume that this is where the control cable connects to.
[img]

And I'm trying to figue out what this black thing is. It's been cut off. Looks to be insulated wire jacket?[/img]
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the photos here, they might shed some light for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagon-VW-Pre-1965-Ins...1c49599101

wiring

Check out the manuals here on THE SAMBA.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/heater_ac.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That black hose looks like a drain hose.On the ones I've had running I've never seen anything drain though. I'm guessing not that important. I'll try to post a link but I'm on my cell so not too swift in that respect. If it doesn't take you can search "The ultimate Stewart Warner gas heater thread".

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...gas+heater

Looks like it worked ! Forgot to mention you can buy a choke cable from any auto parts store and rig an on-off switch to your heater if you can't find an original cable switch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
That black hose looks like a drain hose.On the ones I've had running I've never seen anything drain though. I'm guessing not that important. I'll try to post a link but I'm on my cell so not too swift in that respect. If it doesn't take you can search "The ultimate Stewart Warner gas heater thread".

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...gas+heater

Looks like it worked ! Forgot to mention you can buy a choke cable from any auto parts store and rig an on-off switch to your heater if you can't find an original cable switch.

Thanks for the response. Good idea on the choke cable. I had a spare brake cable from my bicycle. I figured I could make that work. Right now I have had the whole thing broken down. I individually checked each motor and connections. Everything checked out individually. Then I reassembled the unit. I'm thinking I'm having issues with the fuel pump. I'm not getting fuel to the ignition point. I've got the little blue/white spark inside the chamber. Just no fire! I disconnected the fuel line to the burner, and it didn't show any evidence of fuel making it through to the burner. I'm taking my time and making sure I get this thing running properly. And safely. I had mentioned in the "ultimate stewart warner thread" that I'm thinking of installing a small lawnmower style fuel tank, just so the heater is just 1 piece unit. I'd also be leaving the stock fuel system alone. I welcome any ideas/suggestions on my progress. This week is supposed to get pretty cold and I gotta get warm!!
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the fuel pump to work well enough on mine either, I figure the diaphragm was too worn or whatever. So I used an electic fuel pump 5-7psi and it works fine. Ran a relay for it triggered off the thermostat switch.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find the electric fuel pump? And what kind? I'd love to some pics of that setup!
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Airtex model e8012s fuel pump, mounted right at the front of the fuel tank and ties into a T fitting at the gas tank outlet below. The relay is just a standard spdt relay, Orange is power, green is grounded to the unit, blue is output to the fuel pump and the red is the trigger from the heater.

The other red wire with the black connector is what you'll need power to for the heater, whether its a toggle switch or you manage to find the proper cable setup for one.

Oh and ignore the red wire nut on the relay power, I still need to put another female connector and put it into the relay harness. It works so it hasn't been real high on the priorities. Laughing

umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm seriously thinking I'm going to run a separate fuel tank for the heater...so basically I need to get a low pressure pump...between 4-10psi?
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the stock setup was about 7 psi if I remember correctly. Tied in with the relay the fuel pump only kicks in when he thermostat calls for it. Gas useage is pretty minimal and it'll have he car nice and toasty in under a minute. I don't have heater boxes at all in my baja so I'm still wanting to find a way to utilize the defrost vents.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexicant wrote:
I think the stock setup was about 7 psi if I remember correctly. Tied in with the relay the fuel pump only kicks in when he thermostat calls for it. Gas useage is pretty minimal and it'll have he car nice and toasty in under a minute. I don't have heater boxes at all in my baja so I'm still wanting to find a way to utilize the defrost vents.

I've been thinking about routing a vent for defrost. Where my hot air comes in the car is just a square hole. The po didn't have the vent for it...so what I plan on doing is fitting a piece of sheet metal over the hole with a 2" Round pipe coming out. Then attaching a y to it...Then attaching a piece of flex pipe to one side of the y and using a magnet with a round tool holder, sticking that to the dash with an attachment I got with a heat gun years ago. In using the magnet, you could easily remove the "defrost" hose, cap that side of the Y and stick it under the passenger seat, for whenever you need to use it. I'm not sure what you think of the idea, but I think it could work. I've got a 63, so I have no defrost as well.
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting definitely post up pics if you get that going. Last year I just used one of those 12v heater/defrost thingys from the auto parts store. It worked ok but not much volume of air across the windshield.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure...those 12v plug ins are generally crap! Would you be willing to post up a pic of the cable assembly? where it connects to the thermostat? That's been puzzling me a bit. I got mine with no cable and that plastic piece that rides over the micro switch is confusing me a bit. Does the cable actually tie into that? I checked out the unit before I came into work tonight (I work 2nd shift) and noticed that I'm not getting spark in the combustion chamber now. My spark plug porcelain is cracked on the top side...
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go

umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man!! I know this heater talk has been talked about so much that people are reluctant to talk to me about them. I really appreciate your help. I'm off work here in a half an hour. I'm going to check the fuel pump to decide whether or not I'm going electric. I will post updates!
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, ask away! I know I spent tons of time pouring through pages and pages of threads just to find a certain pic of something, so maybe this thread will quickly answer someone else's questions in the future.
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious about Beetle heating system. I have a '66 Beetle I restored with the factory heat exchangers still working and I get tons of HOT to very hot heat from behind the front seats or front floor or the 3 dash outlets depending on the adjustments of the 2 knobs on the tunnel. I couldn't imagine needing more heat even in ice cold Canada. Sometimes I need to crack the windows to let heat out.

What is it Im missing about needing a gasoline heater system? Is it really that cold that the factory system can't warm the interior up?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:
Just curious about Beetle heating system. I have a '66 Beetle I restored with the factory heat exchangers still working and I get tons of HOT to very hot heat from behind the front seats or front floor or the 3 dash outlets depending on the adjustments of the 2 knobs on the tunnel. I couldn't imagine needing more heat even in ice cold Canada. Sometimes I need to crack the windows to let heat out.

What is it Im missing about needing a gasoline heater system? Is it really that cold that the factory system can't warm the interior up?

Thanks.

Well on my Baja part of my heater channels have been welded as a PO's repair so this was the easiest choice for me to have heat. Also there's no waiting to have heat as it'll toast you out of the car in a few minutes from the time you turn it on.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:

Thanks.

For me, the po removed almost all of the factory heater system..my 2nd hand gas heater is way more economical than buying all new heater system components. Maybe before next winter I'll have everything.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go on Rock autos site they sell an airtex 5-9 psi 12 volt for $32 shipped( to my address at least) They have a big selection. They're in the "tools and parts " section under fuel.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?a=G-coilspring
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: