Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What rear shocks do you have?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: What rear shocks do you have? Reply with quote

I know the last thing everyone wants to read is another thread on std bug or super, timing or shocks.

I have read MANY threads and opinions on bug shocks. I am looking for my Christmas wish list a set of rear shocks. My bug seems to sit lower in the rear and raised a bit higher in the front. I would like a good set of rears that could balance it out. (I looked- what I currently have from PO- empi 965?blue shocks up front and cotap 834? In rear)

What kind do you have and why? Is it name, cost, style, stiffness, ride...

Thanks, Santa thanks you too 🎅

Last edited by Keithinky on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy EMPI shocks, it means Santa doesn't like you. plenty of different opinions. All depends on your setup.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...=titleonly

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that from 67 on, bugs intentionally had a rear sag. This is assuming that this a street car. You can reindex your rear springs to bring it up a little.

If you want to try to help the sag some, you can go for a set of Monro air shocks - they have a part number for VWs.

Coil-over springs - personally hate them, but some folks seem to like them.

KYB Excels - I run these front and rear on most of our cars. LOVE them - very comfortable ride and good handling.

KYB Gas Adjusts - These are a different design than the Excels - may give you a slight lift, particularly if used in the front, which I would never do myself. I have these on the back of our buggy and they work very well. May feel a little stiffer, but once again - better handling. This would be my suggestion.

Stock oils - I only have them on the front of one of ours - really dont care for them much, but seems like a pretty high number of people use them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a super, buy lowering struts from Topline. That'll bring the front down. The rear is probably ok unless its bouncing. I run Topline lowering struts up front with KYB in the rear.
First pic is the topline equipment
Second pic is the car on the lowering struts and 1 outer notch down in the back
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a stock strut? Are you using a shorter strut insert from topline maybe? I like the stance. I have the sport springs too and thought about the shorter inserts but haven't yet. Looks good!

Last edited by Her74buggy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyb gr2 on all 4 corners and yer fine.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not expect a set orf rear shocks to even out the ride height of your bug. Ride height is a spring issue, not shocks.
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to ask Santa for Kyb kg 5529. Seems like reviews are mostly positive.

Thanks for advice.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have noticed on a couple of cars recently that KYBs are noisy - a lot more NVH into the shell/body. Fixed with OE-spec BOGEs.. and a nicer ride with tidy handling

I use Bilsteins on my race cars and they are quiet...everything else is noisy! Very Happy
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start asking Santa for a new set of shocks, please understand that shocks >do not< support the weight of the car, your rear torsions do. Shocks only dampen the torsions so you do not get a bouncy ride. If your car is indeed sagging [you should post a picture], you should adjust the torsions. Air shocks or coil overs are a bandaid and although they may solve your height issue, they most likely will contribute to a rougher ride.

-jeffrey
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noise stems from tires. stiff shocks equate to how your wheels rebound.

you can use coil overs to lift the rear and have a super stiff ride, or get stock length shocks and reclick the torsion bars

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
Before you start asking Santa for a new set of shocks, please understand that shocks >do not< support the weight of the car, your rear torsions do. Shocks only dampen the torsions so you do not get a bouncy ride. If your car is indeed sagging [you should post a picture], you should adjust the torsions. Air shocks or coil overs are a bandaid and although they may solve your height issue, they most likely will contribute to a rougher ride.

-jeffrey

Measure the car height before and after installation of the KYB Air Adjust shocks and then repeat what you typed. Much more noticable on the fronts which, will be at least an inch higher. The air adjusts are a monotube gas charged design and dont compress and stay there. GR2 (excels) are a dual tube design and dont work the same way, so you dont have the ride height increase.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
noise stems from tires. stiff shocks equate to how your wheels rebound.

you can use coil overs to lift the rear and have a super stiff ride, or get stock length shocks and reclick the torsion bars

Yes. Not everyone likes a stiff shock in the rear.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic was requested. From pics you can see what I'm talking about. Not a big deal but if I replace rear shocks and it helps, all the better.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear shocks do you have? Reply with quote

Keithinky wrote:
My bug seems to sit lower in the rear and raised a bit higher in the front. I would like a good set of rears that could balance it out.

Springs are what makes the car higher or lower. The shocks prevent bounciness.
You need to re-index the torsion bars and replace the rubber bushings while at it!! GR2 shocks are cheap, and pretty good for most things too.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: What shocks Reply with quote

I think the guys are right that the main issues is with the torsion bars(springs)that loose some of their strength over the years,as the gravity acts more on the back where all the engine-tranny weight hangs,compared to the very light front-end,which has little load on it unless braking hard,when weight transfers to the front(you can feel and see the front nose dive and then rise after you have stopped and ease off the brakes).

Another forgotten factor is the fact that a bug is designed with the heavier stock steel wheels,along with those tall,skinny, old-fashioned cross-ply tyres.
So changes to alloy wheels,that come with different sized modern radials,cause a change in stock suspension behaviour.

I find using a 165/80 fills up the rear arches nicely on my stock 72 bug and I am running a close to stock 155 TOYO 310 pair on the front.Keeping the extra weight of a full fuel tank,spare wheel,full size heavy trolley jack and tool set all help to add some needed weight to the front end.If I lived Stateside I would have full ,heavy US Spec front fender with overiders and then run with just nerf(t-bars) at the back-looks a bit funny,but good weight distribution helps the bug drive nicer!
stault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my own experience , I have a 58 setting on a 74 pan, when doing this project, that took a long time, I chose Bilsteins all the way around, when I first took the car out for a test drive on some back roads here in PA, seemed like I had to pay more attention to keeping the car under control, had a lot of bounce to it on roads that weren't real smooth, being in this hobby for 30 plus years, I had a complete set of new kyb g2 shocks on a shelf collecting dust so I opted to replace the front with a set of the g2's and took the car out, in my case it made a huge difference, road nice and handled very good. I then decided to replace the rear Bilstein shocks and put g2's on and took it for a test drive, and had just the opposite effect, didn't hold the back end as good in the corners, so for my combo I have KYB g2 front and Bilstein rear
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is a baja so a little different. I have always found the kybs to be pretty good. I used the gas adjust ones and liked the stiffer ride AND the small bit of lift that they did provide. Even in my old street car. That said , once I changed to bilstein on the front. And then later on the rear I was really impressed with the quality of the ride and the clear improvement in handling. So if santa has a few extra bucks I would get some bilsteins. They are about 3 or 4 times the $
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: