Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Venting Fuel Tank 71 Super Beetle (necessary?)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Venting Fuel Tank 71 Super Beetle (necessary?) Reply with quote

Aloha all,

71 Super Beetle with fuel smell (typical). This issue was present when I first got the car. Removed the tank, marine cleaned and sealed with POR15 tank sealer. Changed fuel line at bottom of tank. Changed fuel inlet (big hose coming from fuel cap). Changed the fuel cap. Changed the sending unit gasket. Tank has two smaller lines that have 3 inches of braided rubber with screws in them so im pretty sure that this is not factory.

I do not have the vent system (with charcoal canister as seen in other super beetles. My question is, can I just cap off (seal) the two smaller lines since they do not go to anything? I read in some post that to extend the lines and run it to the bottom of the car or out the rear but this just sounds like the smell will be moved from the trunk to the rear.

Mahalo to all that reply or that have had similar issues and have done something other than what I already listed.

Aloha'z

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing on my 71 Super Beetle..I took out the tank and discovered pretty much the same thing, hoses plugged, etc...There was a steel line going to the underside of the car where it stopped along the heater channel...I have the charcoal cannister but it's not connected to anything...I ended up taking the body off the chassis to replace the heater channels and to do some frame/floorpan replacement...I intend to fully utilize all the vacuum hoses, and whatever else makes the evaporative system functional..I think that just running a line to the rear of your Bug isn't going to eliminate the gasoline vapors...They have to be drawn into the charcoal can to be then sucked into the engine...Otherwise there's going to be a gasoline odor at all times, depending which way the wind is blowing...I'd suggest renewing all hoses to repair it and see if any pieces/parts are missing.
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdriver79 wrote:
I had the same thing on my 71 Super Beetle..I took out the tank and discovered pretty much the same thing, hoses plugged, etc...There was a steel line going to the underside of the car where it stopped along the heater channel...I have the charcoal cannister but it's not connected to anything...I ended up taking the body off the chassis to replace the heater channels and to do some frame/floorpan replacement...I intend to fully utilize all the vacuum hoses, and whatever else makes the evaporative system functional..I think that just running a line to the rear of your Bug isn't going to eliminate the gasoline vapors...They have to be drawn into the charcoal can to be then sucked into the engine...Otherwise there's going to be a gasoline odor at all times, depending which way the wind is blowing...I'd suggest renewing all hoses to repair it and see if any pieces/parts are missing.

After replacing all of the hoses, what does it vent to? I don't have a charcoal canister in the rear fender or below the windshield like I have seen on the forum. I don't remember having this issue with my 69 bug so this 71 is becoming a bit of a mystery on how it operates.

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no charcoal canister, then the venting is easy.

Connect ALL the small vent lines at the rear of the tank (up to 3 of them depending on the tank) into one line. Now T that line to the main breather pipe next to the filler neck. That leaves you one free side of the T, which becomes your vent line - this one must track up and over the instrument cluster to make a high spot in the system (Which prevents fuel smells in the car) and down the LEFT side of the tank and out under the luggage area (there might already be a slot in the bodywork under the left side of the tank) and the vent line hangs open under the body in the area near the MC (LHD cars).

Never use a vented cap in a bug - the filler is only just above the top of the tank so fuel will slosh up it in left turns and stink up the cabin. Likewise with a short vent line down the right side of the tank - that creates fuel smells in the car too - you MUST have a high point in the vent line to stop those smells.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amgo100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you have picture form VW parts catalog which shows everything. I was working on the fuel system in my 1302 this weekend and found it very useful.

http://oacdp.org/type1part/2003.png
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going over the high spot I just ran the hose through the same gap with the brake reservoir hoses. Just long enough to stick out below the pan.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amgo100 wrote:
Here you have picture form VW parts catalog which shows everything. I was working on the fuel system in my 1302 this weekend and found it very useful.

http://oacdp.org/type1part/2003.png

But he said he did not have all the emissions stuff on his car, so looking at that pic could get you confused. Using that pic as a base, you connect the two small vents at the bottom of the pic with the similar single vent at the other side of the tank into one line, then connect that through a T to the T at No6 in that pic and then the third side of that T you've just added becomes the actual vent line which goes up and over the instrument cluster. If the car has the collector (No51 in the pic) then that is simply taken out of the circuit. What all that does is to revert the venting to the earlier style non-emissions type venting.

Whether the mods are legal depends on your state/federal requirements.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
If you have no charcoal canister, then the venting is easy.

Connect ALL the small vent lines at the rear of the tank (up to 3 of them depending on the tank) into one line. Now T that line to the main breather pipe next to the filler neck. That leaves you one free side of the T, which becomes your vent line - this one must track up and over the instrument cluster to make a high spot in the system (Which prevents fuel smells in the car) and down the LEFT side of the tank and out under the luggage area (there might already be a slot in the bodywork under the left side of the tank) and the vent line hangs open under the body in the area near the MC (LHD cars).

Never use a vented cap in a bug - the filler is only just above the top of the tank so fuel will slosh up it in left turns and stink up the cabin. Likewise with a short vent line down the right side of the tank - that creates fuel smells in the car too - you MUST have a high point in the vent line to stop those smells.

Gonna pick up the hose and fittings today. I really hope this takes care of the issue, that smell is out of control. Vintage is one thing but fumes in and or around the interior is down right dangerous.

Mahalo'z

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Looped the two vent lines on the top (driver side as you are looking in the trunk). The one on the right I "tee'd" back the to upper vent looping it back into the gas tank filler and the one near the middle/bottom of the right side I extended up towards the bottom of the windshield and back down to the trunk (where the spare tire is) there was already a hole so the line just went there and to the ground.

So far, so good. Will update again in a week or so when I go on a cruise into Waikiki.

Aloha'z

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: