Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purist need not read further...

Getting you car back on the road, you can get a brass fuel valve from a marine store like west marine or defender for about 12 USd.

Did you up just strip the aluminum nut?? It's not ruined. For a horrible moment I thought the fuel valve boss had twisted out of the fuel tank....still not ruined but uglier.

Get the fuel tank supported over a jar or shallow container filled with Penetrating solvent if your choice. Let it soak for a week or more. Take an extra differential equations class to pass the time. A big nut like that will respond to a vice grip (tm). That is a vice grip made by ViceGrip, not Ulan Bator.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfAces wrote:
I've ruined it.

Don't fret, we all have a box of those to reminisce over when you're finished and look back... Laughing
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder take it so n ez,save bolts n nutz.Be methodology ..haste makes waste..and as my father use to tell me when attempting a project "son you got to be smarter than what your working with". BTW nice car..
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Purist need not read further...

Getting you car back on the road, you can get a brass fuel valve from a marine store like west marine or defender for about 12 USd.

Did you up just strip the aluminum nut?? It's not ruined. For a horrible moment I thought the fuel valve boss had twisted out of the fuel tank....still not ruined but uglier.

Get the fuel tank supported over a jar or shallow container filled with Penetrating solvent if your choice. Let it soak for a week or more. Take an extra differential equations class to pass the time. A big nut like that will respond to a vice grip (tm). That is a vice grip made by ViceGrip, not Ulan Bator.

Don't listen to the idiot above. Turn the tank upside down, cut a hole in the bottom of plastic yogurt container, seal bottom with clay or playdo, and fill with penetrating oil. Put top back on container to keep it from evaporating.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience your fuel tap will need to be rebuilt at a minimum due to the interior seal being shot, which is a frustrating process. If you thought removing the nut was frustrating wait until you try disassembling the device

You'd be better off saving up and buying a new one from Wolfsburg West...yes it's $75, but definitely worth it

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209021E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, KROIL is 100% worth the money.

I finally stopped moping for two seconds, emptied the fuel tank, and applied a liberal amount of it onto the nut and waited about five minutes. Then I grabbed my new 22mm wrench (Thanks for the Lifetime Warranty, Home Depot!) and gave it a turn. It gave way immediately and I was able to take it out. The nut is still in poor shape, I'm surprised I was able to do that at all.
I really did not want to break out the vice grips, Dad has told me stories of what those things can do, few are positive.

Anyway, the fuel filter is stuck in the tank, and the inside of the tap is covered in sludge, not that I expected anything less. So I put some KROIL on that too and am now waiting. I am sure I have lost restoring the inside of the tank before the end of break, and I hope all this POR-15 will stuff stay good until Spring Break in mid March.

Sorry for no pictures, the upload speed in this house is abysmal, but I will upload pictures sometime tonight.

txoval wrote:
From experience your fuel tap will need to be rebuilt at a minimum due to the interior seal being shot, which is a frustrating process. If you thought removing the nut was frustrating wait until you try disassembling the device

It's too late, the device has challenged me. I will rebuild this. Not to push back, but if I give up on something as simple as this, then I might as well give up on the whole thing. An Engine Rebuild is daunting, and a million times more complex than this, but I plan on doing it anyway, after I get that book and do a lot more research of course.
The whole process isn't frustrating, I actually enjoy working on stuff like this, it's just that I ruined a part on my Beetle is what is frustrating.

Besides, I already have the fuel tap rebuild kit from WW.

The garage is a mess, I am going to clean it out, put Her back on her wheels and clean out the inside of the tank.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King, store POR15 in fridge,tightly sealed...I had some stored now 3 or 4 yrs....still the same as new..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, it's too cold and I don't want to ruin the pipes in the house.

Anyway, here are some pictures from today. Like I said in the previous reply, all I did was empty the tank and remove the tap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This crap came out by itself. I haven't even used that chain to knock out the rest of the loose rust. That will come tomorrow when I can use the hose without freezing the pipes.

Finally free

Unfortunately, the fuel filter still in the tank. Not sure how to get that out.

Tap in soapy water and cleaned with elbow grease. I will need something more powerful to do it properly, but this is what I currently have on hand.

As always, all the pics from today: http://imgur.com/a/94Vtd
Not many this time.
EDIT: These photos have been uploaded to TheSamba gallery.

aa390392 wrote:
King, store POR15 in fridge,tightly sealed...I had some stored now 3 or 4 yrs....still the same as new..

Grandma isn't going to have any of this in her fridge.
Would them just sitting in a garage for two months be fine? I'll also ask POR-15 this since it's the middle of a business week.

Last edited by KingOfAces on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are half-way with the fuel tap nut . . . It unscrews from the tap as well.

Glad to hear that you are going for it with the rebuild on the tap. After you get it clean inside and out, the only tricky part is holding it all together (it has a stiff spring inside) when installing the snap-ring.

Try to keep your paint and stuff like that from freezing.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfAces wrote:

Thanks for posting that pic. I wondered why my fuel tap turned through 360 degrees. That little post between the two tabs is missing!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather rebuild an engine 10 times then jack with that contraption. It's not that the fuel valve is complicated, it's that its so oddly shaped and hard to hold, even in a vise to reassemble. Unless you have small hands you'll see what I'm talking about shortly.

Be careful not to break the brass tubes off while rebuilding

You need to grab the fuel sock with needle nose pliers and pull it out...it simply slides in. If it's torn up or gummed up, buy a new one

While it's not environmentally friendly, a five gallon bucket filled halfway with diesel is a good parts cleaner...and a stiff tooth brush works wonders

Buy a five gallon bucket with a lid and it will last a long time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I'd rather rebuild an engine 10 times then jack with that contraption. It's not that the fuel valve is complicated, it's that its so oddly shaped and hard to hold, even in a vise to reassemble. Unless you have small hands you'll see what I'm talking about shortly.

Be careful not to break the brass tubes off while rebuilding

You need to grab the fuel sock with needle nose pliers and pull it out...it simply slides in. If it's torn up or gummed up, buy a new one

While it's not environmentally friendly, a five gallon bucket filled halfway with diesel is a good parts cleaner...and a stiff tooth brush works wonders

Buy a five gallon bucket with a lid and it will last a long time

After I rebuild this and the engine, I'll come back with my opinion of the comparison of the two processes. Everything I have on these procedures is posturing at the moment.

I do not have a vise or a bucket, and unfortunately I am unable to run into town to get what I need, thanks to a fresh two inches of snow and a steep hill leading to the house/garage, so I am stuck here for the time being. I know it's only two inches, but the hill is so steep it's impossible to get back up once you go down with snow still on it.

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Thanks for posting that pic. I wondered why my fuel tap turned through 360 degrees. That little post between the two tabs is missing!

byron

Glad to know my excessive picture taking is helpful.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingofAces:

Just as a FYI, I fully support you in the rebuild...just want to offer you what I have learned over the years.

I actually enjoy building engines and rebuilt my first 1600cc when I was 15.

I have only rebuilt one fuel valve/tap (same type as yours) and just want you to know that it is a major pain. Pain versus Dollars is different for each person. I understand your current position and know how it feels. Time is currently more valuable than money for me, which is why I say buy the new one.

I would actually recommend that you disassemble/inventory everything you have and get it all organized, so that once you graduate, earn money, and have the space/time you can go full speed on the restoration.

Another lesson from experience
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now spring break,

It is a week earlier than I thought it was going to be, so I don't have stuff for the engine, aside from the rebuild kits. Either way, I will be starting on the fuel tank/tap once I send this quick update.

txoval wrote:
I would actually recommend that you disassemble/inventory everything you have and get it all organized, so that once you graduate, earn money, and have the space/time you can go full speed on the restoration.

Another lesson from experience

Actually I've been really giving the future of this Beetle a thought recently. My current plan and/or best case scenario is too keep it up at Grandmas as long as I can, then once I graduate College next summer, grab a job, grab a place with a garage with a friend of mine so it's actually affordable, and work on it during the weekends.

Also 56Cabrio, I got your package. Everything is there. Thank you.

It begins, again. At least it's not freezing and snowing this time.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp.

How bad is this?

Link
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess around with that tank. Buy another one that is in good shape.

It looks like there is a lot of rust around the seam and the holes that are leaking are rusting from the inside out so they are far worse on the inside.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

It looks like there is a lot of rust around the seam and the holes that are leaking are rusting from the inside out so they are far worse on the inside.

Truth.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Truth.

That's disappointing to hear. There goes my plans for Spring Break. Anyway, I suppose I'll comb the classifieds for a replacement.

I stopped working on it when I discovered the holes. The tank was drenched in water when I took that video, so I might take another one when it's dry.

Anyway, time for some pictures.

The Fleet:

Dirt

More dirt

My workbench for the day

The old, broken fuel filter.

The bottom of it is stuck onto the stripped nut.

All of the fuel tap

Last pic of the tank before I put it back in the garage

I'll get some diesel and soak the tap in it for a couple of days. At the very least I can rebuild that this week.

Finally, as always, all of the pictures I took today: http://imgur.com/a/ERvvy#0
EDIT: These pictures have also been uploaded to TheSamba gallery under the same name as the imgur album.

Last edited by KingOfAces on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a tank is not the place to take chances. There is still plenty for you to do over spring break, keep going!
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran out of time, I'll have to continue during spring break.

Last edited by KingOfAces on Fri May 08, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: