Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pan / frame head picture needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Pan / frame head picture needed Reply with quote

I did a search of the gallery and of the forums and cant find the exact picture that I am looking for and hoping for some assistance.

I need a few pictures of the frame head area. Details that would be helpful are as follows.

1. Area of the end of the tunnel with the frame head completely removed from the bottom of the car, essentially what does the front end of the bottom plate look like with the frame head removed.

2. Pictures of the junction of the frame head to tunnel without the Napoleon's Hat installed.

3. Detailed pictures of the junction of the frame head, napoleon's hat, and front edge of the floor pan.

I just want to get everything layered correctly so that it fits properly and looks right, this area was extremely rusted so before pictures of my car are pretty useless. This is my first frame head replacement and want to get it right.

Any help that you can provide would be very helpful!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early or late ; there are two different ones .......65 down and 66 up

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its for a 67 with ball joint front end, but the pictures I need could come off a link pin car also and still be relevant, so don't be shy if you have a 64 or earlier.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best I can do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is with the bottom plate removed on my 66 (ball joint frame head)

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the last picture is very helpful thanks!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at Mkparkers pictures I am wondering if I shouldn't separate my replacement pan head and install it in two pieces kind of like the factory did. It would make the pieces easier to handle and install straight.

Any suggestions? It is surprising how little documentation of this process there is on here, either that or my search skills suck, which is a very real possibility. Nothing on it on the bug me series either.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:

Any suggestions? It is surprising how little documentation of this process there is on here, either that or my search skills suck, which is a very real possibility. Nothing on it on the bug me series either.

You must be rich . I always hear about the one percenters . This is a project only one percent would try . I started my " MAJOR " project with a completely restored powder coated pan !...I admire your boldness and good luck ..

NOTE : YOUR photos can be the guide for the next guy !!
Where is the link to this build thread .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No build thread on this one yet, it is a 67 that is so rusty most would throw it away, but it is my sons first car that he paid for himself so we are going to do it.

Not rich but I am playing the lottery so one day......

I have been taking pictures but my camera is not the best and I would rather buy VW parts than a new camera, that whole not being rich thing applies here. But I am concerned that I may inadvertently mislead someone with any mistake I make.

I have always believed that if someone else can do it then I can at least try, so here I go!

So if you guys want a build thread that would make a staunch atheist pray for help let me know.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build thread! And just tune out the hecklers 😁
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandoras box

You might find this link useful too. A friend of mine in Queensland Australia has cut several bugs apart through the tunnel so you can see how all the parts fit together (old cars destined for the scrap yard folks - nothing worth repairing).

The pics of a 63 include the front end of the tunnel and the frame head area.

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug-insideabug_63type1
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To EA812 possibly in the future I will start posting but be warned I am not a pro but at least I work slow.

To aussiebug those pictures are super helpful, see if your friend will let you post them up here in their respective categories. I am sure I am not the only one who could use them.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
Pandoras box

You might find this link useful too. A friend of mine in Queensland Australia has cut several bugs apart through the tunnel so you can see how all the parts fit together (old cars destined for the scrap yard folks - nothing worth repairing).

The pics of a 63 include the front end of the tunnel and the frame head area.

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug-insideabug_63type1

That is a nice site. See if you can convince him to post the pics on the Samba site. Easy to use to explain things to people that have never cut one up before.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: