Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa VS Express kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Okrasa VS Express kit? Reply with quote

Hello all, I did try to search this but wasn't having any luck finding what I was after.

Just wondering what the best dual carb 36hp kit would be in regards to hp and torque numbers between the Okrasa dp heads kit and the express manifolds kit?

I thought all the HP was in the heads, as the big block guys say. Yet the express kit with it's dual 28's on stock heads seems to put out almost identical hp numbers to the Okrasa kit with it's dual ported heads and 32's. Am I missing something? Think

Just wondering what the best route is for easy hp?

Cheers!

My 1956 RHD Aussie Beetle ll (o\!/o) ll

Sydney, Australia
oldturtle22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in this as well as Im going down the same path!!
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you even find the express manifold kits?

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some technical insight would be good, because I am torn between the 2. The solid cast manifolds and throttle linkage also looks alot better that the welded Okrasa manifolds, not that looks are everything, but if I wanted only performance, I'd cram a 1776 or something the my bug instead Laughing

@ Bret; I'm not sure that is is exactly the same as the original express kits, but from what I am told it is now a Motorentechnik Riechert kit?? Please correct me if I am wrong! From what I understand, it works the same as the express kits on the original singleport heads with dual 28's, except the throttle linkage is a little different from what I can tell.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is the link:

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

I hope you can read German haha! Because the way the website works, I cant send the specific link to the actual page, you have to navigate to it.

Sydney, Australia
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 VDUB wrote:
Yeah, some technical insight would be good, because I am torn between the 2. The solid cast manifolds and throttle linkage also looks alot better that the welded Okrasa manifolds, not that looks are everything, but if I wanted only performance, I'd cram a 1776 or something the my bug instead Laughing

@ Bret; I'm not sure that is is exactly the same as the original express kits, but from what I am told it is now a Motorentechnik Riechert kit?? Please correct me if I am wrong! From what I understand, it works the same as the express kits on the original singleport heads with dual 28's, except the throttle linkage is a little different from what I can tell.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is the link:

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

I hope you can read German haha! Because the way the website works, I cant send the specific link to the actual page, you have to navigate to it.
Go to the web site. Click on the British flag upper left home page. The site will change to read in English.
'63 OG 117
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that, but the english site is abridged and doesn't have all the information the German one does, it even looks completely different...

This is all the english site offers regarding the same kit; http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/en/solex28.htm

In other words....nothing Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Sydney, Australia
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an email link. I would try that to find if any information on availability and pricing can be found!
'63 OG 117
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pricing chart in the German site. The parts can all be bought separately on the most part, depending on what you already have to work with, but manifolds are €130, the linkage is another €144, the carbs are price on appointment, so I imagine it isn't the cheapest kit out there. But if you already have a 28pci on your car now, you only need to find 1 other to make a pair. And small odds and ends like balance tubes can all be bought, or even made, depending on your inclination or account balance. Laughing

I would be interested to hear some real world experiences with the kit vs the Okrasa like low end torque, hp etc?? I'm thinking the vintagespeed section was not the right section to be posting in due to low traffic, I didn't even know it existed untill a few weeks ago Laughing maybe if I posted in the oval section I would get more insight??

==========

EDIT: I thought I'd give directions to the offending page!
go to; http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

1. click Vergaser/Anlagen/Zubehor
2. select in the drop down menu and click on; Riechert-Doppel-vergaseranlagen
3. click on; 2-vergaser-Anlage (Solex typ1) and then the last link for 1200/34ps

Pricing list is on that page, top left under Stückliste

Sydney, Australia
mahan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread with someone using the Riechert kit

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3375755
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwhavermahan wrote:
Here is a thread with someone using the Riechert kit

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3375755

Thanks for the link, unfortunately there is still no dyno information to compare. I found this which gives a little insight, but not quite enough...

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Ronnie, looks like you did good and the mild cam helped. Here are some HP and Torque comparisons from other 36ers over the years.

Burly

04/10 36hp HORSEPOWER RATINGS
from Burly Burlile

25hp…1131cc(64 x 75) Stock VW to 1953 rated at 25hp

36hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Stock VW stock engine(30hp Euro)24hp to rear wheels / Comp:6.6-1 Torque:60 @ 2400 rpms
56 @ 2000 rpms

41hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Deitz dual carb(28pci) S/P stock engine
Comp:6.6-1

45hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Express dual carb S/P stock engine
Comp:6.6-1

48hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Okrasa dual carb(32pbi) D/P stock cam, D/P Comp:7.5-1 Torque:75.0 @ 2200 rpms

53hp…1192cc(64 x 77) WW dual carb(32---) D/P Web cam, D/P Heads
Comp:_____ Torque:74.5@ 3000rpms

51hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Judson supercharged(28pci) Web cam, S/P Heads Comp:______ Torque:82.9@2500rpms

57hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Judson supercharged(28pci) stock engine
42hp to rear wheelsComp:6.6-1 Torque:64.0 @ 2400 rpms

?hp…1192cc(64 x 77) Bruch turbocharged(H-D Kehin)stock cam, S/P heads Comp:6.6-1

54hp…1192cc(67 x 7Cool Denzel dual carb(32pb) D/P stock cam, D/P heads Comp:7.4-1 Torque:66.7

64hp…1281cc(67 x 7Cool Denzel dual carb(32pb) D/P stock cam, D/P heads
Comp:8.2-1 big bore P&C’s, D/P heads
Torque:83.0 @ 2700 rpms

71hp…1281cc(67 x 7Cool Denzel dual carb(32pb) D/P Super Cam, D/P heads
Comp:8.2-1 big bore P&C’s, D/P heads

51hp…1285cc(69 x77) Okrasa dual carb(32pb) D/P stock cam, D/P heads
40hp to rear wheels/Comp:8.5-1 stroker crank,Torque:68.0 @ 3000 rpms

60hp…1285cc(69 x 77) Okrasa dual carb(32pb) D/P Isky 2j cam, D/P heads
Comp:8.5-1 stroker crank

65hp…1285cc(69 x 77) Okrasa dual carb(32pb) D/P Super Cam, D/P heads
Comp:8.5-1 stroker crank

63hp…1378cc(74 x 77) Bruchrasa dual carb(28pci) S/P,Turbo Cam,S/P heads
Comp:9.5-1 Porsche 356 crank

? hp…1415cc(76 x 77) Bruch single carb(28pci) S/P Erson 410 Cam,S/P heads
Comp:9.11-1,Porsche 356 crank

67.5hp.1433cc( x ) Oval 56 dual carb(Reichert 34pci)
50hp rear wheels(126nm torque)

75hp…1500cc(76.6x79) Okrasa dual carb(Weber 40)S/P,Super Cam, D/P heads
Comp:8.5-1 stroker crank, big bore P&C’s

98hp…1500cc( x ) Denzel dual carb(40) D/P Wild Cam, D/P heads
Comp:9.5-1 stroker crank, big bore P&C’s

80hp…1620cc ( x ) Okrasa dual carb(32) D/P D/P heads
Bengt Holmen stroker crank,big bore P&C’s

63.3hp.1621cc ( x ) Okrasa dual carb( Kadron) D/P D/P heads
rear wheels Julio Iniques Torque 76.32 flyhweel
¼ mile 69.45 mph 18.83 seconds

? ( x ) Pepco ? More info requested!
59.8hp at rear wheels(93nm Torque)

HEAD FLOW(cfm)

Okrasa Head Flow 54.1 cfm

Stock Head Flow 37.2 cfm

Bruchrasa Head Flow 56.2 cfm

Denzel Head Flow _?_ cfm

COMPRESSION RATIOS

Okrasa Head only 7.5-1

Okrasa Crank only 7.5-1

Okrasa combined 8.5-1 Heads with Crank

I'm guessing that this is a somewhat of an untested kit, or nobody that has either one or both of these kits has chimed in yet...

I'm just wondering why the okrasa heads and 32's from the above numbers only produced 3 more hp over the express with sp heads and 28's? Kinda seems like an anticlimax when I hear people saying that a changeover from a 28 to a 16 blade fan can produce that much of a hp gain by itself! Shocked

Sydney, Australia
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone who can read german post the price for a pair of the Express manifolds in the above link?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Can someone who can read german post the price for a pair of the Express manifolds in the above link?

Sure, the 25 and 36hp motors need the "A" type manifolds, which are 65,24€ a piece, so 130€ or there about for the pair. I'd go with their special linkage too because it kinda makes the kit look completely different from any other kits, that's 129,00€ as far as I can tell for the whole linkage kit (crossbar, center support, nuts and washers etc). You would have to factor in postage also, and also factor in the need for 2 carbs aswell, but if you have those lying around, it's no biggie Wink

Sydney, Australia
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are Riechert, not Express, which are not reproduced.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought on intake manifolds for dual carb engines. Craig Richter, author of the critically acclaimed book " How to Make an Old Porsche Fly", gives some info on intake manifold design for these cars. His premise is that straighter manifolds, opposed to "S" curved ones will give more HP at the top end, at least for 356. He is a former multiple world record holder for 356 powered cars, and took a first place trophy at the very first Pomona Winternational drag race, so I tend to listen to him. He tried the "S" shaped offerings for 356 when fitting Weber carb, and found a significant reaction in HP with them. He then cut up a few stock manifolds and welded them back together making them taller and adding flat sides to the upper outer runners. He said it made all the difference in the world. You may ask " what does this have to do with 36hp engines?" Good question. You see, as air velocity increases, it begins to act more like a solid. You may have noticed that when you turn on the water on a long garden hose, it moves, trying to make itself more straight. Air wants to do the same thing. Of course, he was revving his poor engine to nearly 7k rpm, but the principle remains the same. This is where the Okrasa manifolds, and other straigher styles, may have an advantage over some others as they are quite straight from the carb to the intake ports. A bit of careful porting can straighten the air flow even more. As a side note, unshouding of the intake valve in the head, could be be counter productive, moving fuel rich air away from the center of the chamber, and too much swirl. All that being said, I built several dual carb engines back in the late 60/70s, splicing cut stock manifolds together, with significant "S" shape
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngobet wrote:

If you read the 3rd post, I already stated that it was not the express kit, but would produce roughly the same amount of hp regardless. Also, there is in fact an express kit reproduction now, but the prices make the og kits seem fairly affordable.

Jacks wrote:
Another thought on intake manifolds for dual carb engines. Craig Richter, author of the critically acclaimed book " How to Make an Old Porsche Fly", gives some info on intake manifold design for these cars. His premise is that straighter manifolds, opposed to "S" curved ones will give more HP at the top end, at least for 356. He is a former multiple world record holder for 356 powered cars, and took a first place trophy at the very first Pomona Winternational drag race, so I tend to listen to him. He tried the "S" shaped offerings for 356 when fitting Weber carb, and found a significant reaction in HP with them. He then cut up a few stock manifolds and welded them back together making them taller and adding flat sides to the upper outer runners. He said it made all the difference in the world. You may ask " what does this have to do with 36hp engines?" Good question. You see, as air velocity increases, it begins to act more like a solid. You may have noticed that when you turn on the water on a long garden hose, it moves, trying to make itself more straight. Air wants to do the same thing. Of course, he was revving his poor engine to nearly 7k rpm, but the principle remains the same. This is where the Okrasa manifolds, and other straigher styles, may have an advantage over some others as they are quite straight from the carb to the intake ports. A bit of careful porting can straighten the air flow even more. As a side note, unshouding of the intake valve in the head, could be be counter productive, moving fuel rich air away from the center of the chamber, and too much swirl. All that being said, I built several dual carb engines back in the late 60/70s, splicing cut stock manifolds together, with significant "S" shape

Wow, killer info Jack! Do you suppose with that theory then, that the s shape would produce the power at the opposite end of the powerband, increasing the low end torque?

Sydney, Australia
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 VDUB wrote:
ngobet wrote:

If you read the 3rd post, I already stated that it was not the express kit, but would produce roughly the same amount of hp regardless. Also, there is in fact an express kit reproduction now, but the prices make the og kits seem fairly affordable.

Anyone have any info on the Reproduction Express kits mentioned above?

I am interested in buying a set of reproduction manifolds if they exist.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:
ngobet wrote:

Do you have a spare few thousand euro? Lol

Sydney, Australia
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 VDUB wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:
ngobet wrote:

I'm suprised nobody has made some reproduction manifolds for a fair price.

Thomas Jefferson
Oskar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:
ngobet wrote:

I'm suprised nobody has made some reproduction manifolds for a fair price.

Like I already told you by e-mail. A few kits, including manifolds have been made. They just have not been sold or even offered up for sale.
Alejandro Martin reproduces the complete Express Kit, but getting in contact is a bit difficult without lots of patience.

Btw, I have a complete express kit for sale in the classifieds, based on original manifolds and a reproduction linkage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: