Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

News personalities
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: News personalities Reply with quote

Why do we care about the names of our news broadcasters, why do they insist on posting it with rolling script and then saying their name every time they come back on ?
These are paid professionals that are in it for the money and feel like they are celebrities.
Come on let's congratulate the unsung hero's do what they do for the right reasons.
Just seems like they are advertising for better jobs while getting paid to do one.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: News personalities Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Why do we care about the names of our news broadcasters, why do they insist on posting it with rolling script and then saying their name every time they come back on ?
These are paid professionals that are in it for the money and feel like they are celebrities.
Come on let's congratulate the unsung hero's do what they do for the right reasons.
Just seems like they are advertising for better jobs while getting paid to do one.

Stacy

why do you watch the news?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not reporters. Reporters are neutral, they are commentators giving either their opinion or that of their employer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all to get you to watch.

You are more likely to watch familiar faces than strangers...... Think of the Cheers theme song....... You go where everybody knows your name, or, you "know" theirs at least.

Ratings..... Dollars....... It's that simple.

Over the years I've met and known some TV news/weather personalities here in the NYC area.
Some are really nice people..... A particularly famous one that comes across as a really nice guy on TV every morning......... Is a complete and total A-Hole!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he hit from the first post, they are all looking for the next big payday. Cant blame them really. They all want their catch phrase that they are known for, think Walter Cronkite's "And that's the way it is".

They all hope for disaster and chaos because it sells, no one makes it big doing human interest stories or fluff pieces. You never know when or if you are going to get the big story so you better have your shit together when it happens and have your intro and closing lines down and polished when the time comes. It comes off as cheesy until they make it big then it seems to work.

Just like us they are waiting for that big score for them its a top anchor spot for us its a 23 window barndoor walkthrough original paint one owner bus.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont watch bias media (news), let alone care about the puppets that are called news anchors! its all negative, agenda based anyway. just my 2cents.

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer spending an hour reading my newspaper to spending an hour watching TV news. In one hour I get many, many times more information from the newspaper than from the TV.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand the news, especially any NPR program where they all talk funny like they are intelligent and then have shows like "All things considered" as long as it fits their agenda.
I generally only catch the news before a show I might want to see or the tail end of it before Seinfeld at night.
I was just watching the breaking news before Jeopardy where they were talking about that shooting acquittal with the white cop and the angelic black guy. While it is uncalled for that to happen ,look up the guys rap sheet. Definitely had some experience in the field. Funny how the Media glosses over that.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally get all my news from online news sites.. No pearly straight teeth or make-up caked faces or empty suits without creases is not a problem.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because a law enforcement officer of any color just doing his job is not going to get the ratings. We as people have created this monster in one way or another by watching the news only when something big happens, these things are monitored and tracked very easily these days especially when you watch it online.

Newspapers have their spin as well either liberal (New York Times) or conservative (New York Post) so you're not really safe there either.

You have to realize that every story has three sides, his side, her side, and the truth, its up to you to educate yourself enough to know when you are being led down the primrose path. There are a lot of very important topics that are current that people don't know or care to know the facts that will affect us later on. Its a sad state of affairs when most 40 to 50 year old people know more about the One Direction / Today Show controversy than they do about the current "lone wolf" trend that is starting to emerge as a real threat.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subhuman wrote:
i dont watch bias media (news), let alone care about the puppets that are called news anchors! its all negative, agenda based anyway. just my 2cents.

How would you know that if you don't watch?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Jazeera America news is pretty unbiased & worldwide coverage rather than all USA politics. Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Al Jazeera America news is pretty unbiased & worldwide coverage rather than all USA politics. Rolling Eyes

I went to high school with an Al Jazeera. I wonder if it's the same dude.
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
subhuman wrote:

How would you know that if you don't watch?

as stated, i dont watch, not ive never watched. by watching and listning and being able to make my own choices as a young man, i choose not to watch said bias media.

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find that www.nakednews.com to be the least biased. After all, they have nothing to hide.

NSFW

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^NICE!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^NICE!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't trust the liberal or conservative media... they're a bunch of boobs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: News personalities Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Why do we care about the names of our news broadcasters, ...
Stacy

Good question.

I went to college for journalism. I spent 20 years working in local television doing everything ... running cameras, writing scripts, directing live news, etc. There isn't a much more humbling experience than running out to get a story, putting something great on the air, and the only comments you get from the public is the reporter should have combed his hair before going on the air.

Today's commercial news is shaped by ratings. News directors are being forced by station and network management to run stories that get ratings and don't piss off advertisers. They hire people because they look good on air, not because they know what they are talking about. The only agenda out there is to get higher ratings. So really, the biggest thing wrong with broadcast news is the audience.

If you are human - if you have a heart - It is nearly impossible to remove all bias and emotion from reporting, but good journalists are always trying to show the truth, and the really good ones are quick to point out when they screw up. I get my news from lots of sources. I read a lot and try to find the truth, and a lot of what is out there is bending that truth to get ratings and page hits.

Personally, I like NPR, BBC, Sky News and Al Jazeera for broadcast outlets. There are a few big name journalists that I have a great deal of respect for, but a great deal more that could go away and I wouldn't miss them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read my local paper and the New York Times everyday. I don't have my tv hooked to cable or antenna, the tv is for movies, twin peaks or the trailer park boys.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: News personalities Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Personally, I like NPR, BBC, Sky News and Al Jazeera for broadcast outlets. There are a few big name journalists that I have a great deal of respect for, but a great deal more that could go away and I wouldn't miss them.

X 2 It takes longer than 1.5 minutes to explain a news event or explain why it matters to me.

I also read my 2 local newspapers and the NY Times (on my Kindle).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: