Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust design effect on turbo performance
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: exhaust design effect on turbo performance Reply with quote

I recently replaced dual carbs w/Garrett T3 turbo fed w/Weber DCOE-45; and unit came with exhaust system (J-tubes, collector/header, flange to turbine housing). Still working thru tuning process; however, in reading from Garrett website, a question came to mind regarding effect of "unequal" length exhaust runs leading to the collector. Per Garrett, to optimize turbo performance, following is recommended:

- make the exhaust primaries equal length to balance exhaust reversion across all cylinders; and to maintain pulse energy to the turbine; for best power, tuned primary lengths can be used

In measuring mine, lengths vary significantly due to exhaust design; and I browsed photos of samba member's turbo applications, taking note that many appear to be "unequal" as well. So, questions are: how much effect have folks noticed with unequal lengths; any lag/lurch? Any recommendations for suppliers that offer tuned exhaust kits?

Thanks for support getting the most out of my turbo upgrade.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No effect whatsoever on the street, mine even sounds like an inline 4. It's mainly race appllications that play with pulse headers/split turbine housings, which does make a big difference.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it makes very little difference. That said, I just switched to an equal length header to feed my turbo, but I've made other changes as well so i'll have no idea if it makes a difference or not.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to make the tubes as short as possible, and only as large as needed. If you have to lengthen them to make it equal then........... don't.
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unequal length exhaust should give faster spool up but the turbine will choke earlier.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheap-ass sedan header and homemade up pipe to my turbo and have no troubles with spool.
Could it be better???? Maybe......but I have less than $100.00 into the header and it has worked fine for 4 years now.

Boost comes in at 2500 rpm and I have 15 lbs by 3500 rpm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any turbo is better than no turbo....... Wink Cool

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice guys! I'm gonna stick with what I've got for now. Other mods at time of switch to turbo included: bore & stoke up from 1776 to 2180, counter-weighted crank, FK8 cam, SuperFlo heads w/1.4:1 rockers & dual springs...so, I'm feeling plenty under pedal, just curious if benefit there to tune exhaust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: