Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Hardtop Westy restoration question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfish2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: 74 Hardtop Westy restoration question Reply with quote

I am the son of the original owner of a 1974 Westfalia hardtop (automatic) which was purchased in Germany and shipped to the states back in '74. It has the 1800cc type 4 motor and is all original except for the carb (a single two bbl Weber was used to replace the dual Solex setup and it's always hesitated from the start (probably jetting). I'm planning on replacing this back to a dual carb setup, mostly likely Weber IDFs). I run it weekly although I need to tear down the motor to replace the front seal as it lets go of its oil in about 15 minutes after it heats up. In any event I've been scouring the internet looking at options and am thinking that I'm going to rebuild the engine in the spring. There are a lot of alternatives at varying price points and as a result, I have two questions.

First, as the engine is original do you think it would make more sense to buy a long block and keep the original engine as a separate 'spare' (for potential resale if I ever consider it) given that I don't care about achieving much more performance than stock (although a few extra ponies would be nice for travel with a packed bus but only if it doesn't compromise the reliability and driveability) or to rebuild this one? I'd like to keep the engine at 1800cc but would consider a slightly larger bore.

Second, given that a little more performance would be nice, again as long as it doesn't compromise reliability (remember it's an auto trans) does anybody have any experience and input about which suppliers to consider and which to stay away from? I'm not trying to start a flame war here just looking for experience/input that's different from most of what I've read given that performance isn't my priority.
I've looked at GEX, SCAT, Pauter, and Raby engine components (I'm considering the heads, exhaust (a must as the old one has a lot of rust), a cam, and valvetrain refresh mostly although I'll likely replace the bearings and certainly all seals in addition to whatever else is needed with a bus that has 80k miles and 40 years on it). I read a lot of bad things about GEX and some about SCAT but I do not want to hot rod the bus, I just want to drive it regularly (maybe 5-8k miles/year) and get a littel extra get up and go if possible. If I were able to make 78-80 hp I'd be plenty happy. Raby's stuff looks good but to be honest it's almost an order of magnitude more expensive than all others (I'm not saying anything about whether or not it's worth it, I don't have any experience here) and I suspect that's primarily related to a) the relatively low demand/low numbers required for new/reworked AMC heads and b) a desire to make appreciable profit but again, I have no first hand experience here so I'm just not sure the high cost would be justified for me. As reliability is paramount Raby's engine components may be what makes the most sense but I'd like your opinions.
Sorry for the long post but any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Stan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience with GEX, I would cross them off my list of companies to do business with. Too much hassle, no gain. After reading articles on here, and from what I have heard in the field, I would consider Headflow masters. From what I can gather they are tops in the field.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Hardtop Westy restoration question Reply with quote

sfish2002 wrote:
I am the son of the original owner of a 1974 Westfalia hardtop (automatic) which was purchased in Germany and shipped to the states back in '74. It has the 1800cc type 4 motor and is all original except for the carb (a single two bbl Weber was used to replace the dual Solex setup and it's always hesitated from the start (probably jetting). I'm planning on replacing this back to a dual carb setup, mostly likely Weber IDFs). I run it weekly although I need to tear down the motor to replace the front seal as it lets go of its oil in about 15 minutes after it heats up. In any event I've been scouring the internet looking at options and am thinking that I'm going to rebuild the engine in the spring. There are a lot of alternatives at varying price points and as a result, I have two questions.

First, as the engine is original do you think it would make more sense to buy a long block and keep the original engine as a separate 'spare' (for potential resale if I ever consider it) given that I don't care about achieving much more performance than stock (although a few extra ponies would be nice for travel with a packed bus but only if it doesn't compromise the reliability and driveability) or to rebuild this one? I'd like to keep the engine at 1800cc but would consider a slightly larger bore.

Second, given that a little more performance would be nice, again as long as it doesn't compromise reliability (remember it's an auto trans) does anybody have any experience and input about which suppliers to consider and which to stay away from? I'm not trying to start a flame war here just looking for experience/input that's different from most of what I've read given that performance isn't my priority.
I've looked at GEX, SCAT, Pauter, and Raby engine components (I'm considering the heads, exhaust (a must as the old one has a lot of rust), a cam, and valvetrain refresh mostly although I'll likely replace the bearings and certainly all seals in addition to whatever else is needed with a bus that has 80k miles and 40 years on it). I read a lot of bad things about GEX and some about SCAT but I do not want to hot rod the bus, I just want to drive it regularly (maybe 5-8k miles/year) and get a littel extra get up and go if possible. If I were able to make 78-80 hp I'd be plenty happy. Raby's stuff looks good but to be honest it's almost an order of magnitude more expensive than all others (I'm not saying anything about whether or not it's worth it, I don't have any experience here) and I suspect that's primarily related to a) the relatively low demand/low numbers required for new/reworked AMC heads and b) a desire to make appreciable profit but again, I have no first hand experience here so I'm just not sure the high cost would be justified for me. As reliability is paramount Raby's engine components may be what makes the most sense but I'd like your opinions.
Sorry for the long post but any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Stan

Hi Stan,

Welcome! You'll proabably hear a lot of advice given here that will tell you a lot of different things. However, one thing will remain constant. Stay away from GEX. Many of us have had tremendous results, sending our engines out to Adrian at Headflow Masters. He is extremely reputable and does top quality work at a very reasonable price.

http://www.headflowmasters.com/

As far as the engine is concerned, you're on the right track. Keep that original motor!!! Also, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a "much" better or more reliable motor than the 1800. I'll leave the rest to the more experienced resident experts. I hope this gives you a jumping off point. Cool
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Raby's stuff looks good but to be honest it's almost an order of magnitude more expensive than all others

First off, remember that I haven't sold parts since 2013. The Type 4 Store is not a division of Raby Enterprises.

Secondly, perhaps the components, their quality, and the development that went into them are "an order of magnitude" different than the rest?

Cost and value are not related. The only people that "get that" are the ones that have made the wrong decision, and had to pay for it.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, if I was lucky enough to have a bus that had been in my family so long, I'd certainly want to get the best for it which is what it appears you're trying to accomplish.

My bus has a type 1 engine in it. If I had a type 4 engine in it, the first place I'd look is at Raby's parts. As he mentioned, a lot of time, effort and development went into those parts and if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Having worked owned and worked on my VW's for over 30+ years, I can't stress enough to buy the best quality parts you can. Yes, I've gone the cheaper way on some parts purchases and ALWAYS got bit for it. That's the one common theme you see posted on The Samba, day after day. People get cheap then wonder why there part didn't fit or only lasted a few days or months.

Headflow Masters seems to have a stellar reputation on this site. I've NEVER read anything negative about that business on this site, which is rare.

Gex- OMG, avoid at all costs.

Kudos to you for soliciting feedback from others on this topic. I often post questions like this too to try find the best quality parts I can before I buy them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
From my personal experience with GEX, I would cross them off my list of companies to do business with. Too much hassle, no gain. After reading articles on here, and from what I have heard in the field, I would consider Headflow masters. From what I can gather they are tops in the field.

The gentleman who has been teaching me a lot about engine assembly (from the VW Porsche training school in teh 70's) was the expert witness in the GEX court case that essentially banned them from doing business in California. According to him (and court transcripts) they didn't do things sneaky and wrong like fudge clearences; they outright installed the wrong sized bearings in engines and blamed customers for not keeping up with routine oil changes when it siezed.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: