Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should I ? 85 camper
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: should I ? 85 camper Reply with quote

I have a 70 westy, needs a bit of work before its ready for a long trip. I looked at an 85 westy today, has about 150,000 on the clock. 5k on the rebuilt motor. its dirty and needs a bit of small maintenance items. a few items with the suspension bushings are going bad. It runs good and drives good. new hoses all the stuff down with a rebuild looks good.

the sell wants $10,500 for it but for the most its ready to go a weekend of work and it appears ready for the road.

is there any reason I should not buy an 85 ? any issues with years.. ? my full game plane is to drive into south america ect ..

opinions ? I need to make a decision soon ?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason you shouldn't buy this 85 that needs work?

Yea, about 4 grand worth of reasons.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: I am not understanding ? Reply with quote

what the 4k worth or reason ?

lets assume the rebuilt motor is solid ? there times that need to be repaired are stuff like door locks, and cosmetic stuff ?

am i missing something ?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you missing?
If this is the only early westfaila that you have ever seen, and you are all aroused by it being filthy, and needing work, you shouldn't pay more than 6--$6500.00 for it--maybe--if it was fluffed & buffed and all of the items that are wrong with it repaired.

This is what you are missing.

For ten five, you can get yourself into a much later model Vanagon in better shape.

Just take a look in the samba.com want ads--

BUT WAIT--THERE'S MORE!

Did you know that winter is almost here, has just about landed?
Folk's unload these things pretty reasonable in the winter--
Buy Boats, Motorcycles & Westfalia's in the Winter, Buy snow ski's, snowmoblies in the summer--

This guy is really crazy for even asking $10,500.00 for that old worn out Van--rebuilt engine or not.
Who rebuilt the engine?

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

door locks and cosmetic stuff are the least of your worries. 'surface rust' that is rust at the seams, aka, rot from the inside coming to the surface, is one reason to walk away or a serious haggle.

150k, may need a new transmission soon. that is 1-2k. assume the motor is solid, but if it isn't then that is about 5k. does it stink of coolant inside, then you'll need new heater cores/valves. do the heaters even work?

is it just the bushing that are bad, or are there some serious rust/rot issues down there. no idea what a front-end rebuild costs.

always add about 5k to fix it. can you still afford it? if so, why not. drive it gentle still. might be newer than the 70, but these vans won't drive for long at 120kmh/75mph on the highway before something goes amiss.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the $10,500.00 your just about to be bushed for, and dump it into the 70, and Hasta Lavista Baby--South Bound & Down to the magnifico seniorita's.

This would be a better move---you know what you have now, you don't know what your going to get---

Bend over Bama Lam.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I am not understanding ? Reply with quote

david2676 wrote:
...lets assume the rebuilt motor is solid ?

To quote Zero Mostel: "Assume away!'.

You would want a lot of info about who did the rebuild and what was done in addition to assessing any rust concerns and mechanical work needed.

Could be a good deal and right for your plans, but to little info (IMO) to say at this point.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too little--like much too little.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look at Craigslist here and there must be 6 early Westfaila's posted for anywhere from 4 to 6 grand.
Where in the heck have you been shopping?

Dubai?
Vanaganistan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an 83.5 for 7. It was the PO's daily driver and everything you can think of was already done to it. Propex heater, 300W solar set up, reputable engine swap, etc. You are getting hosed for 10.5
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Okay I got the point ... Reply with quote

point taken thats why I asked... 10.5 seemed a bit much for the care considering the interior was dirty its far from a show car but its not trashed to death either. He does have papers show the service history it had one owner until he current owner bought it. Its had most of the basic 150k service work done .... except for tranny. The motor was done at a shop.. he has the work order showing what was done...

I was not really sure how much value a motor added to it. The guy that owns it does not work on it neither did the previous owner so its for the most part not hacked up. Typical story where the guy who bought with the idea of doing a big trip and living in the bus for a year or two to travel. Then life got in the way and they scratched the plans to take off and travel.

seems like the jury is in on this, I meed hunt a bit more for a better deal !
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its dirty most people who stop and look are just going to keep on walking. That needed to be reflected in the price. A seller who is asking top dollar while not making any effort to beautify the vehicle probably is also very willing to be less than open and truthful.

In my experience the best sellers often ask very little.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California you are going to be hard pressed to find a Westy with a recent rebuilt engine for less than 10k. The rebuilds alone run about 4-5k.

You need to assess what your your budget is, what your expectations are, and find something in those bounds.

My recent experience in buying a Westy in California leads me to believe there is no way your are going to find one with a rebuilt engine that needs zero work for 6-7k. I don't know where everyone else is shopping, but that ain't happening here. Very Happy

I do agree though that you need to check out who rebuilt it, what was done, and what else needs to be done to it. I'm getting a transmission rebuild now, and you're looking at about $1400 if you pull it and install it yourself, and about 2k if a shop does it all for you.

Expenses add up fast, so leave some room in your budget. Also, asking price and selling price are not the same thing. Don't be afraid to offer less unless it's a smoking deal, in which you should bring cash!
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the one in Sebastopol for $5800 and spend the other $5K for seats and possibly a new engine. Assuming it live in California all its life and the paint is OK.

The other question is the $10500 one has a VIN # of WV2XB. Is this a conversion ? I know the full Westy is WV2ZB but I am not sure about the weekender.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: second thoughts Reply with quote

I am thinking out loud here... ! feel free to redirect me !

I talk to the owner of the bus, He sent me a copy of the inspection. there really is nothing that worries me just odds and ends stuff. the more tests 90 in all 4. It needs some minor maintenance items.

As I said before my biggest item for wanting to go to a newer bus is 1. my back my 70 the seats are not as good. I had major back surgery a few years ago and better seats would give me a couple hours extra driving time per day and make me happier. 2. I can go now... My 70 needs a bit of work before its ready to go, I could sell the 70 and with the money i get and the money I would not put into getting it ready I would be pretty close to what i would spend on this 85.

I think in my area I am going to have to hunt for awhile to find one in good shape with a new motor. I am likely paying about $1500 more than what I should. if it was under $10,000 I would be happier with the deal.

my last or real concern is, is there anything on an 85 year model that makes it problem. any reason it would be less reliable than a different year?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The more has 90 in all 4"

That's nice.

Now run like hell, it's really junk.

Throw some Vanagon seats in your ride.
Problem solved.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the newest ,nicest van you can find. i would never buy a car based on someone else's rebuild. 86 started the the real improvements.
The only part of your plan I like is getting rid of the 70 while the market is hot and buying something more driveable.
I'm with Terry here ,that's a 6-8 K van tops. Everyone uses GW as a Benchmark, but realize that every van they build is and 86 or newer .
If you come here looking for advice ,there are no shortages of opinion. So choose wisely young Grasshopper.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: second thoughts Reply with quote

david2676 wrote:
I talk to the owner of the bus, He sent me a copy of the inspection. there really is nothing that worries me just odds and ends stuff. the more tests 90 in all 4. It needs some minor maintenance items.

Make a couple of appointments: 1) with the seller, 2) with the Bus Lab up in Berkeley. Go meet the seller and test drive the van up to the Bus Lab, the place that did the $8K-worth of a rebuild, and talk to them about the van they worked on.

david2676 wrote:

I think in my area I am going to have to hunt for awhile to find one in good shape with a new motor. I am likely paying about $1500 more than what I should. if it was under $10,000 I would be happier with the deal.

Then offer the seller what you think the van is worth, or are willing to pay for it. All the seller can do is say, "No".

The van looks decent to me, worth checking out in person at least. My '90's interior was dirty when I looked at it... not dirty in the sense that there was crap everywhere, just a it's-clearly-been-used-for-roadtripping-and-rarely-cleaned look. Took me a weekend to clean, no biggie; certainly not a reason I'd pass a good van up for.

Edit: On the interior subject, that '85 has the interior famous for shredding itself. So, that'll be an expense for you at some point, depending on how bad the upholstery is at the moment.

In the Bay Area, it's pretty slim pickings for a late '80s/early '90s Vanagon camper for under $12,000 (on Craigslist anyway).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

It's just his stupid phone auto-spell checker.

Here, I'll translate for you:
90 pounds compression in all 4 cylinders.

Which, depending on the builder, as already said, may mean squat
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:

It's just his stupid phone auto-spell checker.

Here, I'll translate for you:
90 pounds compression in all 4 cylinders.

Which, depending on the builder, as already said, may mean squat

The minimum acceptable compression is supposed to be 8 BAR or 116 PSI, 90 psi is less than 80% of the minimum. Maybe the so called new engine is already hurting, or maybe the rebuilder used pistons with and incorrect pin height.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: