Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Cutoff Switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Battery Cutoff Switch Reply with quote

Has anyone installed one of those superbeetlesolutions battery cutoff switches? The kind that you turn on and off from a keyed section of the kick panel--and without having to remove your rear seat.

They were advertised in The Classifieds for awhile. If you installed one, how well made is the unit?

Tim
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it yet, so can't help there. But I'm thinking of the same thing for protection if something goes wrong electrically....shut everything off. You could source out the parts at a local alternator shop, but their kit looks well put together...

My last engine fire was caused by a short and it almost blew the battery....would have been nice to shut it down.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it on their website now, but Mid America Motorworks use to sell a battery cutoff switch kit as well. They came in two styles, one with the big red plastic removable key (anti-theft) and one with a low-profile grey knob that was non-removable.

No idea on the quality, or if it is/was the same as the Super Beetle Solutions kit?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I went ahead and bought the kit from MidAmerica--since I, too, couldn't find their ad again in The Classifieds. I could have bought everything separately, I suppose; but I wanted a keyed set-up, as well as all the parts (including a pre-bent bracket that you pop-rivet to the underside of the seat rail).

The kit, itself, is very complete--the cables--nice, fat copper--mounting bracket, and switch, very beefy. It comes with rubber boots for the posts, too, rivets, everything you need.

I had some confusion concerning the instructions, since the switch can be turned up or down--and I wanted it to be "up", of course; so I wrote the manufacturer on Thanksgiving, and he wrote back today, with a full explanation. Also, on their site (which I found after ordering from MidAmerica, and paying a lot more compared to the manufacturer's price), they have on their menu a block that says "News". You click "News" and it brings you to Hot VWs magazine's article on this device. The instructions were much more thorough.

After we finish decorating the house for Christmas, I'll install this kit and let you guys know how it went.

It will add to my anti-theft devices, to be sure. But it will also let me just stick a key into the switch, turn it, and cut my power when working on electrical stuff. This way, I don't have to remove the rear seat, wrench the cable off, and re-install my stupid-ass back seat that is a real bitch to get back in Rolling Eyes

Tim
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to this as I am on the fence about it. I know I want to do it, but how is it going to look.

I personally say thank you for your description and possible photos of the endeavor.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who like aesthetics..

Look into Painless Wiring's remote disconnect switch.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30204

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the Painless option, you can put the toggle under your dash. It's a little more discreet than the switch on the kick panel. Only downside is that the solenoid has a small draw on it so if your car is off and it's not disconnected, it'll drain you battery.

-j.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:

My last engine fire was caused by a short and it almost blew the battery....would have been nice to shut it down.

That's why I run a big circuit breaker under the backseat on the main battery feed.
lots of heavy gauge wiring running around a bug unprotected just begging to start a fire.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take some pictures as I'm doing the job and post them here with comments and any issues I run into.

It's pretty straightforward, unless I run into an issue like a too-short switch-to-starter-cable issue. Something weird like that, I guess. But that cable is a good three feet long, so I doubt that will be an issue.

We'll see how it goes.

I may even paint the faceplate the same color as my kickpanel. With the key removed, it'll be that much harder to notice.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I'll take some pictures as I'm doing the job and post them here with coimments and any issues I run into.

It's pretty straightforward, unless I run into an issue like a too-short switch-to-starter-cable issue. Something weird like that, I guess. But that cable is a good three feet long, so I doubt that will be an issue.

We'll see how it goes.

I may even paint the faceplate the same color as my kickpanel. With the key removed, it'll be that much harder to notice.

Tim

Yeah because if the crook is bug savvy and notices the key it would take 10sec to pop the seat and bypass it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
I kinda like the Painless option, you can put the toggle under your dash. It's a little more discreet than the switch on the kick panel. Only downside is that the solenoid has a small draw on it so if your car is off and it's not disconnected, it'll drain you battery.

-j.

Yep.. if you dont want to turn the painless one off each time.. it will drain the battery.. (Ford starter solenoid) Wink

BUT...
.. you'd really like these below from Ron Francis as it uses a relay that is more like a heavy headlamp dimmer relay (latching relay), so it only draws current while cycling on and off..
A small fused jumper can be added around the main lugs to keep battery constant memories alive.
In the event a heist is attempted or if the owner simply forgets to cycle the relay, the low amp memory fuse opens (pops)

Sort of a hidden theft attempt indicator.. Wink

Plus there are options of a "remote" feature for those who think they need one..

https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=301

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be running this one, once I get to the interior portion of the build.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/disconnects-for-batteries/keylock-battery-disconnect

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I installed the cut-off switch, and it works like a charm.

I didn't do a pictorial on it because ... well, because I'm just lazy from time to time--and today was one of those times.

The unit works well, and everything lines up. With the directions in Hot VWs magazine, I had no installment problems.

I also found out that I do need a new soldering iron, though.

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: