Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

C Pistons + Long Rods?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: C Pistons + Long Rods? Reply with quote

Hey guys. Been doing a fair share of research looking at engine combo's for a build I am preparing for. Been doing some reading up on rod length - some people prefer shorter rods and some prefer longer rods. Lots of talk about rod angles and piston side loads, but the consensus for the right length rod for an engine combo is the one that makes the engine easiest to assemble, allows the motor to successfully fit in your engine compartment (bug) and keep your deck height in the reasonable range to minimize the amount of shims used during assembly.

But if the parameter is to make the engine easy to assemble and keep it stock width, has anyone ever run longer rods with C pin height pistons? I know they are not super common, but I am going to purchase a set of Super Squish 94mm pistons, which come in A/B/C configurations. The C pin height pistons got the gears turning in my head and made me wonder what would make them work.

I did some calculations to determine two different combo's that should technically create a very close to stock width combo with off the shelf parts. Since piston pin height and rod lengths are in inches, I will convert them to millimeters so all units of measure are equal. Give me your thoughts.

So some quick calculations:

Rod Length's
5.394" - 137mm
5.4" - 137.16mm
5.5" - 139.7mm
5.7" - 144.78

Pin Height's
A - 1.558" - 39.57mm
B - 1.380" - 35.05mm
C - 1.055" - 26.8mm

So let's compare two engine combinations that are very commonly used, highly suggested and known for being stock width, easy to assemble, and put your deck height pretty close to where it needs to be.

First combo - 78mm crank/5.5" rods/B stroker pistons
78mm + 139.7mm + 35.05mm = 252.75mm total stroke length
Rod ratio = 1.79

Second combo - 82mm crank/5.4" rods/B stroker pistons
82mm + 137.16mm + 35.05mm = 254.21mm total stroke length
Rod ratio = 1.67

Same displacement as above, but with C pistons + long rods instead - 82mm crank/5.7" rods/C stroker pistons
82mm + 144.78 + 26.8mm = 253.58mm total stroke length
Rod ratio = 1.76

So the combination is smack dab in between the two common combos - off of each by 1 millimeter. But it is an uncommon engine combo, just because it measures out the same as the other combo's doesn't always mean its a wise decision. Thats why I am extending it to all of you. I don't see why it would be any more difficult than assembling an 82/5.4/B combo.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Bret Young on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small correction, 1.005" = 25.527mm

Not being a long rod/high for ratio fan, these interest me more for the fact that you could build a 90mm stroke engine (pent roof aluminium case) with 5.6" rods that is only slightly wider than stock Smile That would put you right at 2500cc.
Too bad they aren't available in 4"- 2919cc!
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

Not being a long rod/high for ratio fan, these interest me more for the fact that you could build a 90mm stroke engine (pent roof aluminium case) with 5.6" rods that is only slightly wider than stock :) That would put you right at 2500cc.

Thanks for catching my typo. That was supposed to be 1.055" not 1.005".

I will edit it the original post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "total stroke length" way of thinking has me a little confused. If you ad up a stock engine you get 69+137+39.57= 245.57

I think of one side of the engine and compare it to stock, makes it easier for me to visualize. An 84 stroke crank pushes the piston up an additional 7.5mm/.295" over stock. A 5.325" rod is about .069" shorter than stock. A stroker B piston pulls it down another .220". So, .295"-.220"-.069= +.006". +.006" is where the top of your piston will be compared to stock.

I've always thought the difference between A and B pistons were .220", are the SS pistons different?
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

Not being a long rod/high for ratio fan, these interest me more for the fact that you could build a 90mm stroke engine (pent roof aluminium case) with 5.6" rods that is only slightly wider than stock Smile That would put you right at 2500cc.

Won't JE make whatever you want?

A nearly stock-width, 3L Type 1 sounds really, really good.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:
GTV wrote:

Thanks for catching my typo. That was supposed to be 1.055" not 1.005".

I will edit it the original post.

Ok, so the difference is .503".

88mm stroke, +0.374" (per side)
5.5" rods, +.106"
C pistons, -.503
Total= -.023"

The result is a 2442cc (or 4" bore, 2854cc) that is slightly narrower than stock.

Sorry, getting slightly off topic. Happy thanksgiving Smile

Last edited by GTV on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build 86 X 94 with 5.7 Rods and JE "C" Pistons fairly often.
Using Cima Regular length 94 Barrels the Width is very close to stock Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm switching my dragster over to C pin pistons currently.

The frame of my dragster won't let me widen the engine at all (without modifying frame and body panels) and with adding a turbo to the mix, I had to lower the compression. Too much money in the heads, i'm not changing those, so C-pin pistons it is. Should work fine for what i'm trying to accomplish.

They do however, look like a PITA to assemble compare to an A or B piston.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
They do however, look like a PITA to assemble compare to an A or B piston.

Can you elaborate why you think it will be a PITA to assemble with them? Just a matter of making them work for you application?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he means that installing the wrist pin / clips, then the oil control ring, then try to compress the rings (without overlapping the oil scraper) and install the piston in a barrel with sealer on it... Then removing the ring compressor... Then pushing the cylinder into place.

Will require a bit more effort and technique than the traditional way of installing loaded pistons in the jugs. Wink
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i've been spoiled with this:

Now i'm going to have to work for it.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to end up with a piston installed that you are 100% sure is done right... Without an overlapped oil scraper and the rings indexed approximately how you want them.... Without disturbing the nice, small bead of sealer you have on the jug sealing area.

It is tricky to not end up with sealer on your hands... And everywhere you don't want it.... Oil on surfaces that you wanted to remain clean..... Cussing like a sailor.

What is needed is that tapered ring compressor.... That would split in half after you use it, for easy removal. I don't think anyone makes them, but that is what is needed.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For oddball ring compressing jobs I take a strap of good quality springy metal, such as from a large hose clamp, and just bend the ends 90 degree at the right spot to fit the size needed, clamp together with vise-grips.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Your "total stroke length" way of thinking has me a little confused. If you ad up a stock engine you get 69+137+39.57= 245.57

Yeah I got those calculations too. Did some looking, but was not able to find anywhere what the stock pin height was.

GTV wrote:
I've always thought the difference between A and B pistons were .220", are the SS pistons different?

Don't know if the SS pistons are different or not. I am just going off the calculations on the webpage.

Hmm. Now trying to determine why there is a 7-9mm difference from the total length of a stock 69mm stroke to the 2 combos (82/5.4/B and 78/5.5/B) that are always said to be almost spot on stock width.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is because they are wrong Laughing
78+stock rod(137)+b(35) is stock width.

80+stock(137)+b(34) is stock width

80's vintage piston specs
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/714659.jpg
there you go, no charge Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you lost me with the stroke length,rods dont change the stroke length. allread cold knotch a cylinder's for pin incertion with no issues.load cylinder as usual and stick it togeather. there are many diferent pistons for the basic 94 bore with 866 pin made by manley,dss,diamond and others with many diferent dish shapes and sizes up to about 24 cc dish. pinsizes range around 1.175-1.22. and if you got the 24 cc dish and only needed12cc there is more that can be milled off the top witch efectivly rases the pin. I have the mahle motorsports 1.175 pin hight pistons for the ford 4.6/5.4 modular engine(big bore) to go with my 86 stroke&5.6 rod.I may use a 5.7rod and stick the 5.6 in my 2332 with the same pistons. for me I like to use the longest practicle rod possiable....for the most part. but using strange stuff can also throw in to the mix,but thats not for the advreage diy guy. And stacking 3 .240" shims so you can use a 6.124 rod isant practicle. as shortening cylinders to use a 76 or 78 crank isant practicle for most diy guys. if you need to stay with a narrow engine then use the highest pin hight & longest rod you can to get what you need. remember the piston pivots on the pin,the lower the pin the more levrage the top of the piston has to try to wedge in the bore and colapse skirts.thus higher pins are another nice thing to have from that stand point.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

I think of one side of the engine and compare it to stock, makes it easier for me to visualize. An 84 stroke crank pushes the piston up an additional 7.5mm/.295" over stock. A 5.325" rod is about .069" shorter than stock. A stroker B piston pulls it down another .220". So, .295"-.220"-.069= +.006". +.006" is where the top of your piston will be compared to stock.

I'm wrong, it's not .220", it's more like .178" like Bret said.

82 crank- +.256"
B pistons- -.178"
5.325" rods- -.069"
= +.009"

That sounds better.

The C's give you an extra .325" of room compared to B's. That's an extra .325" of stroke/rod length. Huge!

90 crank- +.413"
C pistons- -.503"
5.500" rods- +.106
= +.016"

That's a 90mm stroke stock width engine Shocked
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

82 crank- +.256"
B pistons- -.178"
5.325" rods- -.069"
= +.009"

That sounds better.

The C's give you an extra .325" of room compared to B's. That's an extra .325" of stroke/rod length. Huge!

So, above combo with C's and 5.7's make the piston crown +.059" from stock. After deck height is added, not much wider than factory.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "C" piston I use has a .945" compression height so it's even closer to stock width.

Cheers
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KROC wrote:
The "C" piston I use has a .945" compression height so it's even closer to stock width.

Cheers

Ahh! I was wondering how you got that combo to work. I'd call that a D piston.

86 crank- +.335"
5.7" rod- +.306
D piston- -.613"
= +.028"

Where does your [no shim] deck height usually land when you build these engines?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: