Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rediculous spark plug question....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Rediculous spark plug question.... Reply with quote

I run NGK D7EA plugs in my car. It seems that the local car parts stores never seem to have them in stock, but the local motorcycle shop does. They are all marked in a Honda box. So get ready for the stupid question.... Are these plugs the same as a plug from autozone or o'rielly or wherever else one would buy a D7EA???
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a d7ea plugs are the same just in different printed packages.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I was about to commit myself.....
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you could try Champion RA4HC or Autolite 4162. I use the Autolites. They are copper core and much less expensive than the NGK's.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand why they never have the D#EA plugs in stock, I wonder what else they're used in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can find...quite a few BMW motorcycle and Yamaha from late 80s to mid 90s.

There are a lot of different plugs that fit the range and size. For type 3...the NGK BP6ET triple is a lot better plug. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are also in a Lambrogene Deablo. Most likely not spelled right.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to sparkplugs.com fitment section, there are no Automotive OEM uses, and it is strictly a Motorcyle/ATV Plug.
https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=9695
They may not have a listing for Lamborghini, but I'm kinda doubting they're going to have a Lambo Dealer in TN for the OP to get them instock. How many other parts does the local auto parts store have instock for your 35+ year old VW? Summit Racing has the 7912/D7EA plugs instock 99% of the time, and they're probably a 1 day ground ship away from TN. You need to start a shelf in the garage for common replacement parts, and have 1, or 2 replacement sets of components on hand. With the wonderful world of back orders, and discontinuations your Aircooled VW Hobby will only get more frustrating in the future if you don't.
Ray, I too think the NGK BP6ET plug is great plug. A slight variant is the OEM plug for New Beetles. It's a 14mm plug though, if you are suggesting it to as an alternative to the D7EA.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile What happens is that a parts house will only stock what warrants any stocking and is based upon sales and/or demand....I know as I was there as a former owner.

Am retired and wanted a NGK BP7HS for my Turbo bug and the local VW guy did not stock them so I ordered three sets from him and in a couple of days they were waiting for me.

Any repore with a Foreign parts house and a UP FRONT paymt in advance will guarantee what plugs you need...in my case the owner and I talk old VW shop so my credit worthiness is not in question.

I recently went to a Liquor store looking for a certain specialty Brandy (Thanksgiving and Christmas time) and the person made a phone call I said would pay up front for two bottles) he said it was okay and would have them in two days.....enjoyed the drink yesterday.

Some spk plugs come in a 10 pack pkg while some may come in a 4 pack....depends so best is to buy quantity in advance for the long haul.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
According to sparkplugs.com fitment section, there are no Automotive OEM uses, and it is strictly a Motorcyle/ATV Plug.
https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=9695
They may not have a listing for Lamborghini, but I'm kinda doubting they're going to have a Lambo Dealer in TN for the OP to get them instock. How many other parts does the local auto parts store have instock for your 35+ year old VW? Summit Racing has the 7912/D7EA plugs instock 99% of the time, and they're probably a 1 day ground ship away from TN. You need to start a shelf in the garage for common replacement parts, and have 1, or 2 replacement sets of components on hand. With the wonderful world of back orders, and discontinuations your Aircooled VW Hobby will only get more frustrating in the future if you don't.
Ray, I too think the NGK BP6ET plug is great plug. A slight variant is the OEM plug for New Beetles. It's a 14mm plug though, if you are suggesting it to as an alternative to the D7EA.

A ton of inaccuracies on that site and other generators like it. That site is listing sparkplugs only by what data it can find....or by what data car manufacturers "recommended" from factory...which is not always what reality or performance need dictates.

For instance the Bosch W7DTC and NGK BP6ET...most "spark plug sites" list as strictly a motorcycle plug.
The better sites know that it was the recommended Motorsports plug for a great many cars and was in fact a stock dealer upgrade plug and limited factory plug for many CIS injected, high compression watercooled VW and Audi.

If it has the right electrode, thread pitch and reach, seal type and heat range for a specific automotive application I can almost guarantee it was used in more cars than just one. It may just not be "factory" spec. It may be dealer spec...or community knowledge. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
A ton of inaccuracies on that site and other generators like it. That site is listing sparkplugs only by what data it can find....or by what data car manufacturers "recommended" from factory...which is not always what reality or performance need dictates.

For instance the Bosch W7DTC and NGK BP6ET...most "spark plug sites" list as strictly a motorcycle plug.
The better sites know that it was the recommended Motorsports plug for a great many cars and was in fact a stock dealer upgrade plug and limited factory plug for many CIS injected, high compression watercooled VW and Audi.

If it has the right electrode, thread pitch and reach, seal type and heat range for a specific automotive application I can almost guarantee it was used in more cars than just one. It may just not be "factory" spec. It may be dealer spec...or community knowledge. Ray

Sparkplugs.com lists a 1263/BP6ET as an Audi/Peugeot/Volkswagen Plug from various models from 83-95, and mentions there are no non-automotive applications. O'reilly Autoparts also has a compatibility section listing vehicles the 1263/BP6ET uses, and it has the same info. Advance Auto, O'reilly, Sparkplugs.com, and Volkswagen all had the same info for the 2397 BKUR6ET-10 listing for my Mom's 98 2.0 Beetle. The 1263/BP6ET, and the 2397/BKUR6ET-10 are very similar with the differences being the 2397/BKUR6ET-10 has a 5/8 hex, a non-removable terminal nut, a resistor, and an .040 gap. I'm sure you also knew the 4563/BCP6ET is the same plug as the 1263/BP6ET only with a 5/8 hex to make installation with dual carbs a little easier. Or if you like resistor plugs the Denso 5060 K20PBR is a resistor plug with identical properties to the 4563/BCP6ET. All info obtained from Sparkplugs.com. I do agree that just because someone's listing of a plug as not being an OEM plug doesn't mean it will not work well in certain applications. If Sparkplugs.com, along with all these other sites, have all these inaccuracies, which site do you get your information from? And does it have the ability to reverse engineer a part by selecting the properties of a spark plug you are looking for, then lists plugs that exist with those properties like Sparkplugs.com?

Edit; To get back to the issue the OP is having, where in Mid TN are you located? Every Advance Autoparts in the Nashville area shows the 7912/D7EA plug in stock. Do you have any Advances's in your area?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Sparkplugs.com lists a 1263/BP6ET as an Audi/Peugeot/Volkswagen Plug from various models from 83-95, and mentions there are no non-automotive applications. O'reilly Autoparts also has a compatibility section listing vehicles the 1263/BP6ET uses, and it has the same info. Advance Auto, O'reilly, Sparkplugs.com, and Volkswagen all had the same info for the 2397 BKUR6ET-10 listing for my Mom's 98 2.0 Beetle. The 1263/BP6ET, and the 2397/BKUR6ET-10 are very similar with the differences being the 2397/BKUR6ET-10 has a 5/8 hex, a non-removable terminal nut, a resistor, and an .040 gap. I'm sure you also knew the 4563/BCP6ET is the same plug as the 1263/BP6ET only with a 5/8 hex to make installation with dual carbs a little easier. Or if you like resistor plugs the Denso 5060 K20PBR is a resistor plug with identical properties to the 4563/BCP6ET. All info obtained from Sparkplugs.com. I do agree that just because someone's listing of a plug as not being an OEM plug doesn't mean it will not work well in certain applications. If Sparkplugs.com, along with all these other sites, have all these inaccuracies, which site do you get your information from? And does it have the ability to reverse engineer a part by selecting the properties of a spark plug you are looking for, then lists plugs that exist with those properties like Sparkplugs.com?

Edit; To get back to the issue the OP is having, where in Mid TN are you located? Every Advance Autoparts in the Nashville area shows the 7912/D7EA plug in stock. Do you have any Advances's in your area?

I get my information form those who USE the plugs for stock and non stock applications at motorsport shops and dealers and from my last 35 years of experience. ...and hilariously laugh when I find errors in the on line compendiums....and above all the personel and books at a FLAPS (of all places....with some of the least trustworthy books in the business)....regarding "proper and required" application of not only spark plugs but parts. Ray

EDIT: Sorry but I did not really answer your question "where do I get my information"

And I was not suggesting that you were incorrect about the plug listing the PO was asking about....I was simply pointing out that virtually all of the online spark plug listings and sites are only "OK" references as they have errors and are missing a LOT of real world spark plug application information.

That Answer is in two pieces...or so:

1. If its just a bone stock engine you start with the part # in the book. If you cant find that part #......look here (for Bosch plugs) scroll down to page 23 and 24 http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/vpf-media/SparkPlugs/PDF/Catalog_Spark_Plugs.pdf

or ...for NGK http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf

Or...for Nippondenso http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/spec/

2. Look up the plug SPECS by breaking down the part number and letter code of the plug you want....

Then ....if you are just trying to find a plug with all of the similar and IMPORTANT fitment and heat range attributes....you can easily swap to any number of plugs that may be available with the same numbers and letters in the places that count (i.e. thread size, reach heat range etc.).

You can vary Hex size, material and electrode style (or not) and actually find that there are a whole range of plugs that exist.... that will do exactly what you need....but may never have been used for your car.

This is how over the years...many motorsports and dealers have come to install plug parts #'s in millions of vehicles that the factory did not suggest...simply because anther heat range, material or electrode style actually made an improvement.

In many cases these plugs become the defacto "go to" part 3s for a given vehicle...and never show up in listings like you find online.

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting my plugs at wallyworld.they had the 14&12 mm iridium for motorcycle for about a year then they dissapeared,I wish I had gotten a lot of them, they were cheep!!!(as in inexpensive, about $5 each as I recall .I mostly use borsh platynum's I think the ones in my 2028 are 14 years old.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: