Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Buggy
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HungLow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: 73 Buggy Reply with quote

Ok, lets start by letting you guys know that i finally rebuilt the engine, it needed it bad, i made the same mistakes most people do when they do it the first time you rebuild the engine like putting the reverse light on the - side of the coil so yes it died after i put it in reverse, got that taken care off, now my gen light is on, i misplace the black cover off the gen/alt i do not know if this would have anything to do with it, but the light stays on now, im get to see if the batt is getting charge, but from seeing the light on im guessing is not, any ideas if that cover makes a difference!? thanks for any info. Laughing
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your saying about the generator but it should charge if you have the right wires hooked up to it if it was charging before. Might be the field wire is wrong or something!
HungLow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
here is a picture of what im talking about, the alt is missing the black cover it has and now you can see inside, i dont know if this makes a difference, that and you can see the wires and maybe let me know if i missed someting[/img]
HungLow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the light that turned on. Never mind just notice the tan wire is my ground, now i need to find the hole for the screw to put it on, now i notices that the car dies when i stop fast a a stop, if i stop slowly there isnt a problem, only when i stop fast, it was doing this before the rebuild and i thought it was because of low compression, i know thats not the problem anymore, the carb is fairly new i wonder if i just have a bad one, any other ideas you guys might have!?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by HungLow on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right off the bat I can tell you the generator needs to be rotated 90°

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
HungLow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Q dog, i noticed that too, the ground is in the wrong place too, I will change that tomorrow, not I wonder about the car turning off when I make a hard stop.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the photo of your generator and yes you have a generator not an alternator, it looks like the brown wire which is a ground wire is attached with the big red wire. Is if? If so that would short out the generator!

As far as dying durning fast stops, it's fairly common. Probably the Idle is too rich or even the float in the carb is bad causing the float bowel to over fill with gas. Also if the end play of the engine is loose the crank could be shifting position which will affect the distributor advance, it could be too retarded! Also it could be a vacuum leak! How are the hose connections to the carb? Right place? Also make sure the wire to the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb isn't shorting out intermittently or that it is not coming un-screwed.
HungLow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dann yeah i noticed the wire and fixed the problem, i will have to take the carb apart and see whats going on, when i bought it it came with an EMPI carb, i have read they are not the best, maybe ill look for another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: