Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coachbuild Special
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Coachbuild Special Reply with quote

I'd like to share a VW/Porsche Special Coachbuild project I have underway. This build is the 3rd evolution of the Frankfurt Flyer aluminum bodied racers. Here are the first and second gen cars:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've appointed Landspeed Veteran and 36HP Speed Guru Tom Bruch to build out this 2 Piece case and he's done just that. Utilizing a Counterbalanced Porsche 912 Crank, Isky Cam, Wolfsburg West heads and Toms special tuning capabilities we've put together a real masterpiece.

Here is a quick video:

Link

I have taken my previous chassis design and appointed Chuck Beck to put together a vintage type race chassis, similar to the VW/Porsche Specials built just after WWII. Many people know of Chuck because of his 550 Spyders but Chuck built his first hot-rodded mid engine VW in 1956 in Germany. Since then he's built some very impressive race cars as well as the Beck Speedster, Spyder and 904. Here's a look at the chassis.

I will post more pictures over the coming months as we finish the chassis and I begin Coachwork here at my shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful work. I've read through your previous Flyer build thread many times now. For those interested: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492754&highlight=

So many of the pictures you post on the roads look so familiar but I can't quite place where they are. I am an Alexandria local also. I look forward to reading through another example of amazing fabrication!

I like to build stuff...
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE that engine sound!! Cool
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite a while since last posting. I've been hard at work on this project. Here are some progress photos.

For this build I added a little Italian flare by designing a tubular aluminum buck in "Superleggera" fashion. This will stay in the car under the alu skin.

The car was a commissioned build. The owner has some very unique ideas that fit his lifestyle and many decades of toying around with old Porsche cars. One of those ideas was to have a passenger door only (for his wife.)

We decided to use this VDO gauge set that retains the vintage look but utilizes more modern technology with a GPS speedometer. Overall it's a nice package.

I designed and fabricated this 11.6 Gallon Fuel tank and then secured it with period looking leather backed strapping.

A few more detailed photos. I redesigned the rear shell to hinge forward and be easily removable with 2 pins. This provides entire access to the engine and trans area. I also fabricated cockpit caging, roll hoop and additional tubing to the front and rear suspension points for added torsional rigidity and safety.

After building a wiring harness and routing all wires, installing the fire suppression system and covering many other inner details, the car is finally ready for skin.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.

I like to build stuff...
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me next!

Don
MattBulliBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine sounds awesome Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: