Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How wide of a trailer?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: How wide of a trailer? Reply with quote

Still looking for a bug to baja, and was thinking I might need a trailer to go pick it up and could always use a trailer anyway since I don't have one. I see plenty of 6x12 on Craigslist for cheap and I am sure they are long enough but is that wide enough if I put bigger tires and such?
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how you build up the car.

You could put it on a super small trailer that barely fits it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... or you could get something that is overkill for the baja, but allows you to tow other vehicles if you need to.

Being a baja, if it has enough ground clearance, you could even get by with drive-over fenders and have a trailer that isn't any wider than the car. Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to buy a trailer get one big enough to put a full sized car on. Believe me once you have a tiny trailer just for your VW you will wish like holy hell you would have spent a few hundred more for a bigger trailer.

Get a trailer with brakes on it.

You can always rent a trailer from U-Haul if you only need it once.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2, a piddly single axle trailer will bite you in the ass and possibly endanger others on the road, step up now and buy a tandem with some sort of brakes and tow with confidence. (also handy to rent to your buddies when they want to move, surge brakes are better for that as they won't be hacking your plug off to attempt to wire it every time).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Get a trailer with brakes on it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warwgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more thinking of a tandem axle utility trailer, two 3500 lb axles and should be fine for a bug and will mostly be used for light duty. Firewood, construction material wood for a new fence and a backyard deck, riding mower and lawn clean up type stuff. Don't think I will need brakes on it, my suburban is a 3/4 ton for now and has drum brakes on it that take up the whole inside of a 16.5" wheel, and will soon be upgraded to hydro boost, then 1 ton running gear.

But back on topic, so it sounds like a 6' wide should do just fine but if a 6.5 is found should go for that.

Was thinking this one mainly because of the adjustable bull nose hitch, sure would be handy since my Suburban has a 6" lift and 37" tires.

https://jackson.craigslist.org/grd/4770762049.html

a bug should fit on that right?
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer 12-16'. 10' seems a little too short and un-square but that's my ocd Kicking in. We have a 6x14 and use every inch of it, wishing it was just a bit longer sometimes too. 2 quads, rhino, and 2 dirt bikes get tight
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An adjustable drop hitch is much easier to use than one on the trailer. Beat on one for 12 years till I replaced it this year.

As far as size, I would want something longer than 10 foot and wide is always good. My ancient trailer is 68 inches wide by 16 foot, great for a Bug or Bus but a Vanagon will not fit (A3 Golf fits but no room to tie down). I sucks to have to rent a trailer when you have a fleet in the yard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $400 tow dolly will tow them all & has!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hauled a bunch of Buses w/ my 14' x 6' dual axel low-boy, it's supposed to be a tilt trailer, but it is way easier to use ramps. It does have elec. Brakes. I never have to worry about a bad wheel bearing or locked brakes on the car I'm towing, just winch it on, strap it down & go....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwgn wrote:
I was more thinking of a tandem axle utility trailer, two 3500 lb axles and should be fine for a bug and will mostly be used for light duty. Firewood, construction material wood for a new fence and a backyard deck, riding mower and lawn clean up type stuff. Don't think I will need brakes on it, my suburban is a 3/4 ton for now and has drum brakes on it that take up the whole inside of a 16.5" wheel, and will soon be upgraded to hydro boost, then 1 ton running gear.

But back on topic, so it sounds like a 6' wide should do just fine but if a 6.5 is found should go for that.

Was thinking this one mainly because of the adjustable bull nose hitch, sure would be handy since my Suburban has a 6" lift and 37" tires.

https://jackson.craigslist.org/grd/4770762049.html

a bug should fit on that right?

You need brakes. Many states require brakes on a tandem axle. Get brakes on it. I don't care if your pulling it with a 10 ton dump truck. Get a trailer with brakes on it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
How much firewood and construction material does it haul? How do you tow the riding mower with it?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the laws for trailers are in the USA, but I bet they are similar to other parts of the world.

Here in Aus a trailer without brakes is limited to 750kg (1650lb) all up weight (trailer plus load), no matter how big your tow vehicle is. A mid 60s bug weighs 1675lb all by itself, so forget using a trailer without brakes.

From 750kg up to 2 tonnes (4400lb) all up weight (trailer plus load) you must have brakes on all wheels. You can use override (sliding coupling) brakes or electric brakes.

From 2 tonnes up to 4.5 tonnes (9900lbs) you must also have a break-away system so if the trailer comes loose from the towbar then the trailer brakes will engage and will HOLD on for a minimum of 15 minutes, so that means electric brakes with a battery on the trailer, or air brakes with an air bottle on the trailer (sometimes called Maxi-s), or air over hydraulic - same deal.

Trailers over 4.5 tonnes needs a driver's heavy vehicle (truck) licence to tow it.

The car and it's tow-bar must be rated for the load too.

Tiedowns are important too. You must attache BOTH ends of the vehicle to the trailer, so that's a minimum of two straps/chains, one fore and one aft. Four straps are better - one for each corner or if using over-wheel straps, one for each wheel. The straps must be rated to hold 80% of the car's weight stopping it sliding forwards, and 50% in all other directions.

Oh - and tow dollies (which lift two wheels of the towed car off the ground and rely totally on the tow-vehicle for braking) are illegal here in Aus unless you are a licensed toe-operator and driving a registered tow truck, so check your state's requirements before you use one of those.

Whatever you do, make sure you are legal so the cops wont give you a hard time, and your insurance wont knock back a claim if the worst happens.
http://www.vw-resource.com
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
Very different from where I live in Idaho, USA. There really are no regulations on trailers, brakes, etc. Anyone with a drivers license can tow a trailer with their vehicle. There are not laws regarding the weights and who can pull them. Tow dollies do not even need to be registered or licensed. My 17 year old son, who has had his license for less than a year, could pull a 10,000+ pound trailer if he wanted to.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
How much firewood and construction material does it haul? How do you tow the riding mower with it?

My pickup will haul everything the tow dolly isn't designed for. Very Happy

The same cars headed for Idaho.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help with laws regarding brakes, axles etc.

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
^^^^
Very different from where I live in Idaho, USA. There really are no regulations on trailers, brakes, etc. Anyone with a drivers license can tow a trailer with their vehicle. There are not laws regarding the weights and who can pull them. Tow dollies do not even need to be registered or licensed. My 17 year old son, who has had his license for less than a year, could pull a 10,000+ pound trailer if he wanted to.

Hmmm - Turboblue's link above indicates that there ARE towing laws in Idaho - for example, brakes required for trailers over 1500lb, and a D licence required (whatever a D licence is)

Fortunately here in Aus we have ALMOST uniform laws across our 6 states and several territories. One state (Victoria) does not require small box trailers (under 500kg) to be registered so long as they display the registration of the towing vehicle, and there are a few differences with heavy vehicles (I drive trucks for a living), but nothing like the variation across the 50 states of the USA.
http://www.vw-resource.com
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
notchback wrote:
^^^^

Hmmm - Turboblue's link above indicates that there ARE towing laws in Idaho - for example, brakes required for trailers over 1500lb, and a D licence required (whatever a D licence is)

Fortunately here in Aus we have ALMOST uniform laws across our 6 states and several territories. One state (Victoria) does not require small box trailers (under 500kg) to be registered so long as they display the registration of the towing vehicle, and there are a few differences with heavy vehicles (I drive trucks for a living), but nothing like the variation across the 50 states of the USA.
I stand corrected. I searched the statutes and didn't find anything, but upon a researching, I found that
Quote:
Every trailer or semitrailer of an unladen weight of one thousand five hundred (1,500) pounds or more when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle and be designed to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab.
http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH9SECT49-933.htm
It's interesting that most smaller trailers (5,000 lbs or less) that I have seen and used do not have brakes. My trailer is rated for 7,000 lbs and does not have brakes, yet I had no issue registering it. I'm slowing building a heavier trailer (either 10K or 15K) and it will definitely have brakes.

A class D license is a standard drivers license. Classes A, B and C are commercial licenses.

FU#3
warwgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all good thoughts and info, thanks.

I wound up just borrowing a trailer, all went well and only dropped my MPG by 1 MPG.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwgn wrote:
well all good thoughts and info, thanks.

I wound up just borrowing a trailer, all went well and only dropped my MPG by 1 MPG.

Nice Beastly tow rig !! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: