Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Real world experience pulling with a Thing... yea or nea?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Real world experience pulling with a Thing... yea or nea? Reply with quote

Back years ago I had a little bug that I pulled a light load on a trailer all over the desert. It was a swing axle with a good running stock 1600 in it. I was always impressed with how well it did. Ive spent a good part of my day today... In fact way too much of my day reading old trailer / thing threads. They all sort of had the same theme, if your thing is tired not so good! Stopping is a good thing in your THING! But very few were threads sharing your experiences pulling a trailer with your Thing? I'm thinking very seriously about building a small light trailer that will have surge brakes on it allowing me to stop if needed. LOL I would like to haul my Dirt bike weighing in at around 250 lbs a little extra gas a cooler, a cot, and the normal over night camping stuff. The thing has a fresh 1776 in it with a low geared off road tranny so I guess my question is who has actually towed with their thing and was it a good or bad experience? What is the rated tongue weight of a 73 Thing Anyway?

Loved my Bug and I think I should be just fine towing with the thing just looking for some real life experiences doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any first hand info, but i have seen and spoken with the owners of this nice Thing and Thing trailer at one of the shows:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm guessing the set up is pretty heavy with a full sized BBQ under the decklid and an ice chest + storage up front under the hood of the trailer. Just drive it nice and easy and don't expect to break any land speed records up a grade. Remember the speed limit in CA towing a trailer is 55 mph so you can battle it out with all of the 18 wheelers. Laughing
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your right, but it makes me laugh thinking about everyone on Sunday night blasting out of the desert on the way home. If any of those guys pulling trailers are going under 75 I would be very very surprised! I could honestly look at the cop and say are you kidding me? LOL

Last edited by Metal Twister on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed a 13', fiberglass camper (a Boler, same as a Scamp) a few thousand miles with my Thing. From Lincoln, NE to the top of Pikes Peak and clear to Manassas, VA. The Thing has drum brakes all around (type 3 in the rear and late Super Beetle front...drilled for wide-5) and the trailer has electric brakes. Braking is top notch.
The thing has a mild 1700 (74 stroke with 85.5 bore) with Kadrons and a W100 cam and a stock transaxle. It'll pull the trailer loaded to over 1000 lbs at 65 mph all day long.
I use a cheap, add-on Bug hitch from the 1970's (modified to attach to the frame horns and bolt to the bottom of a stock Thing rear bumper).
No worries. Just use some common sense and think ahead.
I get LOTS of love from other motorists and outright jealousy from retired folks with their high-priced motorcoaches.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Thanks for the report! So when you think ahead your talking in miles right? LOL
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull a trailer behind mine all the time any time I go to a show this trailer is behind me I have put over 5000 miles pulling this trailer with no problems .I doo have a 1776 with a 100 cam and a stock carb with disk brakes on the front and a 69 bug transmission I am now building a 8 foot trailer to pull my 1947 Salsbury Motor scooter for next years shows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea what the trailer weight is loaded? And how about the tongue weight? Sure like the colors you have chosen for the Thing... its really rich looking.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
Do you have any idea what the trailer weight is loaded? And how about the tongue weight? Sure like the colors you have chosen for the Thing... its really rich looking.
I do not know the weight but the little car on the top has a battery and a steel frame with a fiberglass body the scooter on the bottom has 2 batters and it is pretty heavy the canopy on the back is a 10 x 10 the trailer is made out of a freezer ad I keep a small generator in that plus tools . I do have a good hitch on the back of the thing The paint is off from a Lamborghini

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was in high school I used to mow lawns for extra money. My truck was in the shop for a few weeks so I hooked my lawn mowing trailer up to the Thing and mowed out of that. It was a full size trailer with 2 mowers, weed eaters etc.. I had no issues with it. I remember taking a picture, I just don't know where it is...

The Thing Shop hitch is a really good way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '73 Owner's Manual has the following specs for towing:

Trailer w/o brakes - 880 pounds
Trailer with brakes - 1,433 pounds
Tongue weight - 55 to 88 pounds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73thing/55_56.jpg

This is typical of many vehicles. The pulling power is often not the issue. Its the ability to stop when towing a load.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! Thanks for that tech info. I shouldn't have any issues at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: