Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Woes on Newly Installed Engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Timing Woes on Newly Installed Engine Reply with quote

- '77 2.0 GD code engine, just rebuilt by Headflow Masters
- FI system purchased used, from a '77 Federal
- All vacuum hoses are new and tight
- According to invoice I received, engine has hydraulic lifters

So, after owning it for 9 1/2 years, I just started my bus for the very first time yesterday. The engine is brand new, and it was the first time it has ever been started. Before starting, I located the notch on the pulley as shown by Ratwell.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I turned the pulley until the notch was just shy of the 8 degree mark, and I set the distributor so the rotor was pointing at the number 1 firing position. After allowing the oil pressure to build up I connected the ignition wires and the engine started right up. The timing mark that I had set to the 8 degree mark was way off to the left, almost off of the scale. I tried turning the distributor to set the timing, but when I closed in on the correct reading, the engine began to run like shit, to the point of almost stalling. I definitely had the timing gun connected to the correct wire, I double checked twice. There was also some 'popping' from the exhaust, which I assume is from the timing problem. Am I going about this the wrong way? I could definitely use some advice on this.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a timing scale right? If not stop and get one on there. You are running some sort of Vac advanced dizzy and not an 009?

Pull the #1 Plug and pop off the distributor cap, Now rotate the engine by hand until the cap is pointing at firing position #1, look down plug hole, and see where the piston is, should be very close to TDC. Once you can make that determination, you can proceed.

You may have to eyeball and rotate the Distributor to the firing position with the cap position.

Set the motor to 4-8 BTDC, and snug but not fully tighten it down. All else being equal, The car should start anywhere from -10 to +10 of TDC.

Now once running, get the timing light out, make sure the gun is set to flash on 0* advance and tape or secure the adjustment (on the gun).

Have you broke in the Cam yet? Forget timing for now (mostly) and get the breakin done first. If it runs smooth go with it. you can always make adjustments while its breaking in. 2000-2500RPM should likely be in the 15-22* Mechanical advance range.

Then you can set the timing after the oil has been changed, 3500RPM hoses off, 28-30* BTDC

The popping you can fgure out later, but its related to the mixture or the bad timing.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerosurf has it- timing 101- we have heard of fan and pulleys taken apart and the pulley put on wrong ruining your chance of correct timing- but if you can see the piston and feel the valves close, your pretty close to TDC. Once there, check your mark and scale (not the engine case seam) for correct orientation. Remember the scale works for the piston location - if thats wrong, your not going to be happy.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552509&highlight=
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4 timing as found on a 1977 GD. The marker in the photo is on TDC. Yours probably is 7.5 BTDC at idle but we time these at 28 - 29 BTDC at full in RPM with the hoses off. Ask for assistance if you don't know how to do that. Since timing and scales have been discussed 10,389 times this year expect flak.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the timing is idle speed is an iffy proposition. If you have the hoses on then you are dependent on having the hoses run 100% correctly and all the hoses and diaphragms holding vacuum, the throttle body has to be properly adjusted and not worn out as well. You are also dependent on the rpm's being low enough that the centrifugal advance has not yet started. Set you timing statically at 8° like you did and then reset it using a timing light at 28-30° BTDC at 3500+ rpms with the hose(s) off and plugged.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
You do have a timing scale right? If not stop and get one on there. You are running some sort of Vac advanced dizzy and not an 009?

Timing scale is there, distributor is 022 905 205S, single vacuum can.

So I tried Wildthings' suggestions, which seemed to be working until I released the throttle and let it return to idle. It ran like shit for a second and the engine died. In order to get it to start I had to adjust the distributor back to where it was. I'm thinking now that one of the cylinders may not be firing. Would this cause problems with the timing? The reason I think this is because there seems to be a little too much engine vibration (which I guess could be the timing). I had the injectors cleaned by Cruzin' Performance in the spring, and I know they say not to let the injectors sit too long before running them. Maybe one of them is stuck? Not sure if that would cause a timing issue though. I'll pull the fuel rails off this weekend to see if the injectors are spraying correctly. One last question. Is it possible to have the distributor timed 180 degrees off? I know the pistons hit TDC once per revolution and it takes two crank revolutions to turn the distributor once. Assuming the distributor drive gear is in properly, is this a possibility? Can't wait to figure this out so I can take this POS for a cruise.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine will only run over a timing range of +/- 30° (crank angle) of where it should be, so no the engine will not run if the timing is 180° out or even 90° out on the cap.

There is an off chance the key that aligns the fan hub with the crankshaft is missing or sheared. You can not set the timing if this has happened. There is also a roll pin that aligns the fan with the hub and if it were missing someone may have put the fan on the hub incorrectly.

If you are using an advance style timing light, you need to turn the advance feature off when setting the timing on these engines.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little mystified by your comment that the engine was just rebuilt and you are having timing issues. I would presume that the engine would be checked thoroughly for mechanically related timing issues (cam, distributor, fan mount relationship, valve train, etc.) prior to release to you. At that point, timing and ignition would be partial to engine management, not internal mechanical.

Was the entire engine just rebuilt, or was it just the heads, or a long block, or what Question

Did you verify each and every component of your fuel injection set up was tested and met minimum standard?

On my 1977 FI bus I had what seemed like a timing issue, which turned out to be a broken off wire from one of the four fuel injector resistors in the pack.

Another time I had a rough, very hard to get started condition, which turned out to be a faulty brand new TSII sensor. I really loved that fuel injected system when it ran as intended, but learned that each and every component must be given respect.

Also, I thought one of the first things to do with a rebuilt engine is to break in the cam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't wait to figure this out so I can take this POS for a cruise.

So we bought a 40+/- year old car, pumped some money into it, and expect it to instantly run like a star? If the motor was rebuilt by someone else, why are you not speaking with them? That should be the first place to start.

And if you are the one who put the engine in, and the accessories on - with a bad attitude the bus is simply kicking you back for your disrespect to it. Show it some respect, slow down and take a breath. We will help you thru this. It is acceptable to take a lounge chair out into the garage, sit in it, and nap or sip on a pina colada when the bus feels frustrating. It takes most of us a year or more to restore a bus to where it runs and feels right.

I would start by comparing the spark plug wiring to the pattern in the service manual. What you are describing sounds like crossed, or loose plug wires. Next I would check the injector wiring to be sure all the injectors are working. You also want to check your dwell angle.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

So we bought a 40+/- year old car, pumped some money into it, and expect it to instantly run like a star? If the motor was rebuilt by someone else, why are you not speaking with them? That should be the first place to start.

And if you are the one who put the engine in, and the accessories on - with a bad attitude the bus is simply kicking you back for your disrespect to it. Show it some respect, slow down and take a breath. We will help you thru this. It is acceptable to take a lounge chair out into the garage, sit in it, and nap or sip on a pina colada when the bus feels frustrating. It takes most of us a year or more to restore a bus to where it runs and feels right.

Wow, you have some serious anger issues dude. You obviously didn't read a thing that I wrote and just jumped at the opportunity to belittle me. For the most part, everyone on TS is unbelievably helpful to one another, but there are a handful of people here that are just total douche bags and act as if they are too important, busy, or just too good to be bothered with other people's 'stupid' questions. If that's the case, just don't respond. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to take time out of your life to respond to me. All I'm doing is looking for people who may have had a similar problem and help point me in the right direction. Your assumptions about me couldn't be further from the truth and only make yourself look bad.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
... Wow, you have some serious anger issues dude. You obviously didn't read a thing that I wrote and just jumped at the opportunity to belittle me. For the most part, everyone on TS is unbelievably helpful to one another, but there are a handful of people here that are just total douche bags and act as if they are too important, busy, or just too good to be bothered with other people's 'stupid' questions. If that's the case, just don't respond. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to take time out of your life to respond to me. All I'm doing is looking for people who may have had a similar problem and help point me in the right direction. Your assumptions about me couldn't be further from the truth and only make yourself look bad.

I believe that every bus owner here wants his/her bus(es) to be something to be proud of - and reliable - unless the occasional goal for some is putting lipstick on a pig and flipping it to some unsuspecting soul. Not all of us enjoy reading foul language.

Quote:
All I'm doing is looking for people who may have had a similar problem and help point me in the right direction.

If that is true, you might try by answering some of the questions others asked you so they can help.

I thought this was a good reply that needed answers:

Wasted youth wrote:
I'm a little mystified by your comment that the engine was just rebuilt and you are having timing issues. I would presume that the engine would be checked thoroughly for mechanically related timing issues (cam, distributor, fan mount relationship, valve train, etc.) prior to release to you. At that point, timing and ignition would be partial to engine management, not internal mechanical.

Was the entire engine just rebuilt, or was it just the heads, or a long block, or what Question

Did you verify each and every component of your fuel injection set up was tested and met minimum standard?

On my 1977 FI bus I had what seemed like a timing issue, which turned out to be a broken off wire from one of the four fuel injector resistors in the pack.

Another time I had a rough, very hard to get started condition, which turned out to be a faulty brand new TSII sensor. I really loved that fuel injected system when it ran as intended, but learned that each and every component must be given respect.

Also, I thought one of the first things to do with a rebuilt engine is to break in the cam?

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Timing Woes on Newly Installed Engine Reply with quote

One observation: Type IV engines do run on three cylinders when spark/fuel
is taken away from one. If the engine is warm it will lope along & not die.
I would check the distributor, twist the rotor to be sure the centrifugal
mechanism is free, the rotor should move a bit and come back
You may have to pull the distributor & check the advance plate to see if
the plate the points are on can move, if it's frozen,even partially,you
won't get full travel there either.
If you can't measure from 8 degrees BTDC to 28 BTDC it may be a broken
spring/ internal corrosion stopping it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to suck his ass, nor detract from the original point of this thread, I would like to say that SGKent is very knowledgeable, a frequent contributor and has helped me often. Either by reading his old threads or posts, or direct and continuous contributions. There are many people here just like that. Were it not for these folks, I would be as ignorant to the cause as I was just a couple of years ago.

That said, calling your bus a POS (whether you were facetious or not) will often trigger the response you did not like reading. Trust me, I was shocked at how serious some people take this craft. Shocked You will need to develop a thick skin. Any doubts about that, just suggest putting on a Weber Progressive and painting your bus with Rustoleum. Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow indeed!, a VW (or any mechanical contrivance for that matter) is very similar to a computer, garbage in = garbage out, blame the bus or the attitude of people trying to help all you want but in the end the way it runs (or doesn't) is entirely the result of what you yourself do.
Now's the time to make a choice, either peel all that stuff off an reinstall it in a methodical method following the data readily available in the books, or continue to throw feces at everyone who makes suggestions that don't quite jive with your idea of how the world should work or disagree with your somewhat misguided theories.

Sorry Oscar, you've gone down quite a few notches on the respect scale with me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a few users over this past year (one in my area) with poor injectors after having them serviced by Cruzin unfortunately. Perhaps you did leave them sit too long and maybe that's what happened with the others as well.

If you have a spare set you can swap with, go for it.

SKGent has provided me some of the most valuable information on TS. Your assumptions of he are even further off the mark than his may have been of you, let it go and move on.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

I would start by comparing the spark plug wiring to the pattern in the service manual. What you are describing sounds like crossed, or loose plug wires. Next I would check the injector wiring to be sure all the injectors are working. You also want to check your dwell angle.

Hmm...re-reading I guess I was too harsh on SGKent and he is probably undeserving of my frustration/annoyance with some of the other Samba members (none of whom have posted in this thread BTW). Guess he happened to be the one that "broke the camel's back" and I've never had any issues with anything he's said in the past, so I definitely owe him an apology. I did however feel as if he thinks that I expect my Bus to run perfectly just by throwing some money at it and not putting in any work. That definitely couldn't be further from the truth. I started working on getting this thing running about a year ago and have easily spent hundreds of hours cleaning, testing, researching, repairing etc., so it sucks to have someone accuse (or at least appear to be accusing) me of not putting in any effort. Anyhow, I hope no hard feelings SGK, and I could definitely still use all the help I can get from you guys on figuring this thing out. One other note, Wasted youth mentioned the fact that I called my Bus a POS. In all honesty, it is, and I like it that way. Would I like to someday have a nice interior and paint job? Sure, but for now I plan on keeping it the way it is, with the inch thick coat of dust from sitting in my garage for 10 years. I'm certainly not mad at him for it, I just want to let you know why I said it. I was surprised that anyone would think it strange. Regardless, here's where I'm at with the Bus. I had a little time over the weekend to play with it a bit, but no progress.

- If I set the timing statically to 8 degrees, engine will start, but will usually die out pretty quickly. However, when I check the timing with a gun, even at idle it's reading all the way to the left, almost off the scale. Timing issue is more than likely a symptom of a problem, and not the problem itself.

- Wires are definitely on correctly and in correct 1-4-3-2 order.

- I'm getting some exhaust popping when I rev the throttle and release it. Hope it's not an exhaust leak. I placed a wet rag over the tailpipe and it quickly built up pressure and nearly stalled until I removed rag. I wasn't sure if I was going to cause any damage to the engine by doing this and I didn't want to push my luck.

- While idling, I pulled each spark plug wire, and each one caused the engine to lose power, so at least to some extent, each cylinder is firing.

- I checked the injector resistor at its plug and all checked out fine.

- I bench tested AFM before engine was installed and checked out fine.

- I pulled the injectors off of driver's side and cranked engine, spray pattern seemed fine. I haven't pulled the right side yet, as I ran out of time.

- Engine starts when temps are in the 30's, so I assume CSV (brand new) is working.

- TS2 is new, but I have not tested it yet.

- When I took Bus for a test drive, it seems to run very well, and idles a bit better after warming up, but still far from perfect. I haven't driven a Bus since my last one died in Nashville in '06, so I can't really compare this to anything as far as engine power is concerned, but it honestly seems to drive rather well.

- I tried a different set of points, but no difference in performance.

- According to invoice from Headflow Masters, they used hydraulic lifters, so I have been put off checking their adjustment.

To answer Wasted youth's questions:
Quote:

- Engine was completely rebuilt, I received it as a longblock. As far as fan mount relationship, I assembled all of that myself. No missing guide or anything like that. The markings on the pulley match up in all of the right places according to Ratwell's site.

- I did not test and verify each and every component. Some pieces are new (which apparently doesn't mean that they work) and I did test some, which I mentioned earlier in the post. I'm using the A.F.M. manual that I got here on TS as a guide, it seems a little more thorough than Bentley

- As far as breaking in the cam, I assume you mean running it at 2000 RPMs for 20 minutes? I did do that, but I actually had it running for a few minutes beforehand. However, Adrian from Headflow Masters told me that it was completely unnecessary and that he has never done it on a single engine that he has built. BTW, he did not test run my engine so I was the first to start it. He said because of laws in certain states he cannot run every engine because of shipping, I guess because they could possibly have oil left in them in that can leak?

Anyhow, that's where I'm at. It's kind of tough to get any real work done on it this time of year because of the weather. Not to mention I only have a few hours on the weekends to play with it, so it's going to take me forever to test everything out. Thanks again, and sorry if I came off like an ass.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heading out the door here, but...

Verified vacuum leaks?

Verified correct distributor? >> Check OldVolksHome they have a table of distributors based on models/years, etc.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hoses and Vacuum leaks seem to be (one of) your likely next steps.

Is your AFM plugged in? You can unplug it to start and that should help you keep it running while the idle warms up.

Have you checked and rechecked all the electrical connections to the Double relay and series resistor, as well as the TS2 being seated in the head snugly.

Let it run for 20-30 mins, then you need to set (recheck) the valves. 3/4-1 1/2 turns once the lifters are pumped up. The first few thousand miles on my engine seemed to like it best about 3/4 turn. While the valve cover is off, you can also make sure the rocker shaft nuts are torqued down properly and the pushrod tube spring is seated. this is just good maintenance.

Popping out the exhaust is either leaks, intake or exhaust, or richness. Which could be directly related to the extreme advanced timing you say you are having.

Also popping could be a bad decel valve, but you are not there yet.

You are sure your timing light is not advanced? It starts... so stop static timing it, now loosen the distributor to get it timed properly.

Also we all like pics.... plus it couldn't hurt to have another set of eyes looking at the motor

PS... Happy 500th post to me!

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Yeah, hoses and Vacuum leaks seem to be (one of) your likely next steps.

Is your AFM plugged in? You can unplug it to start and that should help you keep it running while the idle warms up.

Have you checked and rechecked all the electrical connections to the Double relay and series resistor, as well as the TS2 being seated in the head snugly.

Let it run for 20-30 mins, then you need to set (recheck) the valves. 3/4-1 1/2 turns once the lifters are pumped up. The first few thousand miles on my engine seemed to like it best about 3/4 turn. While the valve cover is off, you can also make sure the rocker shaft nuts are torqued down properly and the pushrod tube spring is seated. this is just good maintenance.

Popping out the exhaust is either leaks, intake or exhaust, or richness. Which could be directly related to the extreme advanced timing you say you are having.

Also popping could be a bad decel valve, but you are not there yet.

You are sure your timing light is not advanced? It starts... so stop static timing it, now loosen the distributor to get it timed properly.

Also we all like pics.... plus it couldn't hurt to have another set of eyes looking at the motor

PS... Happy 500th post to me!

Good advice and Congrats!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: