Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flatlands Engineering
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Flatlands Engineering Reply with quote

Don't know if this is the right forum but here goes:I've been trying to get in touch with flatlands engineering in the U.K. via e-mail and am having no luck.I'm looking for a front bumper for my Manx ll,in stainless, it's not available from the manx store here.It's only available in chrome.
Maybe they went out of business or they can't sell to U.S. customers?
Any clues?

Thanks
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should keep trying since Mark is a one man show and sometimes he doesn’t answer emails on a timely matter. I made an order and it took me almost a month trying to reach him. He also use to travel from time to the States to get some stuff for his projects. The only problem will be the actual currency (us dollars to pounds)since you will be paying almost double of what you can pay over here since the shipping is just ridiculous. Never less to say he sells topnotch items. Hope this Helps and hope you can get with him soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaleiza07
Thanks for the heads-up.Problem is now i'm not finding
them on the U.S. manx store anymore?In chrome that is,as an option to the generic ones that are available at most buggy sites.

Laxkraap
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m still working on my Manx II project ( got a guy on my job that does welding) to shorten the chassis. I haven’t advance too much on my project, but I will get my Manx II the time it needs (and the money) to make it happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaleiza07 wrote:
I’m still working on my Manx II project ( got a guy on my job that does welding) to shorten the chassis. I haven’t advance too much on my project, but I will get my Manx II the time it needs (and the money) to make it happen.

When i bought mine last November i told my wife 'it'll only take about $1200-1500 and a couple of weeks to fix her up'.Well after about 8 months and alot more than $1500 it's was ready to be driven.I missed a couple of my own deadlines,but i didn't want to rush things as i started to get near the 'light at the end of the tunnel'.
Just take your time and know that there are EXTREMELY knowledgeable people here on THE SAMBA and they're always willing to help with advise/suggestions when asked.
Good luck with your buggy and hopefully you'll have as much fun with the 'build' as i did.And driving it is just the iceing on the cake!

Laxkraap
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words and you're right..this will take a little bit more than 1500 bucks!
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laxkraap wrote:
Yaleiza07
them on the U.S. manx store anymore?In chrome that is,as an option to the generic ones that are available at most buggy sites.

Laxkraap

They are still available and I am not sure why they are not on the site. I will get it sorted and get them back up ASAP.
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Laxkraap wrote:
Yaleiza07

Laxkraap

They are still available and I am not sure why they are not on the site. I will get it sorted and get them back up ASAP.

Iguana
Winnie let me know these are still available.Are you running one? If so p.m. Me.
Thanks,laxkraap

Last edited by Laxkraap on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana,or anyone running a manx sidewinder,can you give me a rough idea of how far the exhaust hangs out past the engine?and is there room to adjust the valves with the exhaust in place?
Pictures would be great!
Thanks laxkraap
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sidewinder sticks out 6" to the rear of the alternator pulley nut, and it is not in the way of the valve covers at all.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, 1" clearance from pulley, 6" to outside from pulley. No issues adjusting valves.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco,manxvair..thanks for the photos and measurements.I'm still undecided about the exhaust after reading about some of the problems with the ceramic coating.
Sorry,i meant hot jet coated
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Sidewinder around 8 years ago and the jet-coating's holding up pretty well, better than any other sort of finish, chrome, paint etc.
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyers Manx are still listing the chrome ones in the latest ManxMania magazine for $325- in chrome which is close price-wise to Flatland's (approx) $290-, less shipping of course.

I guess a big factor in choosing would be your climate. I'm sure the Manx product is done in top-quality chrome but it still wouldn't last as long as stainless in anything other than maybe California's perfect climate. Plus there's always the fact that Flatland's are an authorized Meyers Manx dealer anyway.
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
Meyers Manx are still listing the chrome ones in the latest ManxMania magazine for $325- in chrome which is close price-wise to Flatland's (approx) $290-, less shipping of course.

I guess a big factor in choosing would be your climate. I'm sure the Manx product is done in top-quality chrome but it still wouldn't last as long as stainless in anything other than maybe California's perfect climate. Plus there's always the fact that Flatland's are an authorized Meyers Manx dealer anyway.

I was thinking the stainless would be a once and done purchase but wasn't sure flatlands was allowed to sell to the U.S. market.Still haven't heard back from them.
I did talk to someone,daughter maybe,About the sidewinder exhaust and the bumper and she assured me that they're still available from the manx store.Buggy is down for the winter so i've got some time to see if flatlands will respond.
Thanks,laxkraap
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, Meyers Manx stuff is as good as you can get quality-wise but no chrome can hold up to high humidity and/or rock salt on frozen roads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: