Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Trustworthy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool. Would you mind typing a "recommendation" build spec for a powerful 1904? Actually, if I'm using my same gear, I'm sure my W100 cam should be upgraded. And maybe rockers? Maybe some straight cut gears?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight cut gears are not needed. Use them if you like the sound. As for the cam, something around the Engle 120/Scat C45 or equivalent. I personally wouldn't go any larger (duration-wise) as low end torque will begin to be sacrificed (and your carbs aren't up to the high rpm capability of a larger cam). Ratio rockers aren't neccessary, but a cam designed for ratio rockers will be easier on the lifter bores. More lift is of course possible, but there is no need to go over .500" at the valve for your application. For example, the Engle 120 is designed for stock 1.1:1 rockers, and lifts .435" at the valve. 1.25:1 rockers can also be used, increasing the lift to about .494". Same goes for cams designed for 1.4:1 rockers. Heads are important, this is where the power is made so no skimping there. Properly ported 40x35.5 valve heads, dual springs, HD aluminium or steel pushrods. Keep the deck height tight, Between .040"- .060", the tighter the better. Around 9-9.5:1 compression. Your Weber's will of course work, maybe upgrade to slightly larger vents (34mm) when you start tuning. 1 1/2" exhaust primaries. As for a crank, for the price there is nothing better than a DPR welded stroker. The 5.325" VW journal rods from aircooled.net will make the 74 nearly drop in without extra machining (but check everything!), and keep the engine from getting too wide.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes good idea!
74 or 76 stroke and short rods. I would prefer the CB H-beams rather than the AA I-beam. AA ones are ROUGH Shocked

Engle 120 can is a classic for sure!!
Probably want to change up to 32mm venturies in the carbs and try 220 air 135 main jets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: