Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 911
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Engine Porsche 3.0 or Subaru 3.0/3.0?
Porsche 3.0
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Subaru 3.0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Subaru 3.3
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

fearslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: 75 911 Reply with quote

My mechanic has a 1975 911 targa that is in rough shape body wise(pain faded and chipped no dings or dents and front bumper is off) and had a later years fenders welded on not shotty but not finished either. interior needs to be re done period... BUT it has a rebuilt 3.0 motor and 915(?) tranny. Anyways he is a certified Porsche Volkswagen mechanic from the 70's and he did the work. And I trust him. never gotten a bad engine from him, or tranny ever. but he said he wanted 11k for it, however I am not so inclined to pay that. its perfect for what I want but is it worth that? if not what is it worth? and would i be completely nuts to ditch the 3.0 and go for a 3.0/3.3 subaru six? Am I nuts for wanting to lower it? Would it be worth more to restore and sell or to just customize how I like it and drive it as an everyday...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DirtyCossack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's market I think you'd be crazy for not keeping it as stock as possible. I don't think the fenders will turn off a potential buyer, but engine would. I've never personally sold one of these, but I've noticed a lot of buyers of sports cars perceive lowered cars and changed stance in general to have negative effects on handling. Whether it's true or not I can't say. Now "upgraded" suspension with little drop is a different story, but when they get too low, so do offers.

As to price, I think 11k is steep, but with the frenzy for old Porsches in full effect, someone will buy it. I'd think it's real value is $5k, but fair rate today is $8k.

But I'm no expert, just a fan.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyCossack wrote:
In today's market I think you'd be crazy for not keeping it as stock as possible. I don't think the fenders will turn off a potential buyer, but engine would. I've never personally sold one of these, but I've noticed a lot of buyers of sports cars perceive lowered cars and changed stance in general to have negative effects on handling. Whether it's true or not I can't say. Now "upgraded" suspension with little drop is a different story, but when they get too low, so do offers.

As to price, I think 11k is steep, but with the frenzy for old Porsches in full effect, someone will buy it. I'd think it's real value is $5k, but fair rate today is $8k.

But I'm no expert, just a fan.

5K....maybe a little low if its a truly a fully rebuilt engine...and depending on a few suspension condition items.

But 11k is too much for how much body and interior work needs to be done. The mechanic is obviously trying to get back out of it his engine parts cost.

The car alone with no engine or a non-running engine is probably $3-4K at most. Just too much to be done...not that whats there is bad.

You can bury 5-8K in properly building a 3.0 six....but getting back your investment is not what the price of classic cars is all about...or else my VW412 is now worth about 35k.

A fair price if the engine has papers is about 6-8K for the car I would say.

But I agree will all else. Lowering of a 911 outside of using factory high performance parts and tire/wheel combinations to drop stance....is not only a price killer...it has no functional value. The average Targa is already low enough to take maximum advantage of its tire, wheel, damper and torsion bar combinations. If you upgrade those....there are easy next steps of lowering. Just dont slam it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fearslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

As for slamming it I wouldn't dare, the only thing to slammed is a rat rod or volks rod. But anything used to lower it would be performance not slamming it for the sake if slamming it.

As for the engine it isn't currently ruining but the story behind it is that he rebuilt the engine for a 79 and was driving that around and then the car got totaled and so he pulled the engine and transmission out and put them in this car and the car was totaled less than a thousand miles after the rebuild.
fearslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been looking at the statistics of the subaru 3.6L and according to motor trend, 256 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque. The 3.0 in this car as it sits I understand produces 180 horses at 187 ftlbs torque, but the turbo trans produces 265 horsepower and 290 lb-ft but has extreme turbo lag... Im assuming sence the 3.6 is N/A if a turbo were to be put on it it wouldnt experience to much lag assuming a scroll turbo or the likes was use. Also having a 915 tranny in the car allows for that engine to be swapped and would be able to hold the power just fine. Also i have heard of the 2.7/3.0 getting somewhere around 27mpg highway and that is what the 3.6 is rated for in a car that is almost a ton heavier than the 911. do you think that would have some perks?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: