Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New front seat upholstery
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: New front seat upholstery Reply with quote

Just thought I'd show off my new front seat upholstery. I couldn't find any commercially made upholstery for my 411, so I removed the old torn stuff and cut each piece out to use them as patterns. I found some nice brown vinyl at Joann's Fabric Store, and bought a sewing machine. I find the brown vinyl piping on Ebay. I used 2" foam in place of the hair pads, along with some batting material. Still have to install the buttons below the headrest.

Here's the old stuff before removal:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the finished product:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great the fit is excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
The 1971 seats (that is a 1971 right?).....are a bit simpler in the head rest area and the back, area. The back of the seat pocket area....im debating in deleting for simplicity.

Im still up in the air on whether to retore my seats or put Procar 90 seats on my 412 frames and skirts.
Nice!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a '71. The upholstery construction reminded me of the bug and bus seats I've worked on, although none of those kits will fit the 411.
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. Looks pretty nice.
1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality results. I'm impressed.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimiRon wrote:
Yes, this is a '71. The upholstery construction reminded me of the bug and bus seats I've worked on, although none of those kits will fit the 411.

We just bought this 411 and I have to say, the upholstery work is excellent. Top notch. SimiRon does great work. The color matches perfectly and the seats are very comfortable. Thanks Ron!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespa93103 wrote:
SimiRon wrote:

We just bought this 411 and I have to say, the upholstery work is excellent. Top notch. SimiRon does great work. The color matches perfectly and the seats are very comfortable. Thanks Ron!!

Yes...he did a great job. Its also a bit luckier that the car had that optional high back headrest seat. That is option M258.
Its only the second time I have ever seen it in a 411/412. It was available in all years...but appeared to be rarely chosen. I have seen a handful or so with the low back seat option...mostly earlier models like 1970 and 1971.

The low back seat was virtually identical in all respects to the detachable headrest version except for the headrest mount bar.

The high back version you have has a LOT less parts in it than the detachable headrest version. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: