Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse Box Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Fuse Box Questions Reply with quote

First, my great thanks to members who responded to my simpleton questions, and to the forum as a whole - the information from both now has my '55 starting like a hungry kitten each cold morning, and all my lights working! Cheers to all. (grounding the starter was a lifesaver!)

Most issues could be traced to the fuse box connections. Old wires, dirty posts when they looked clean, etc.

Question now is on the fuse box (applies to the 4 and the 2 boxes)....which is: are these 're-buildable?' I have one square wire post which turns when the wire screw is tightened, and I know that will lead to trouble. I have yet to pull it off, so uncertain what the back looks like, or if these square posts are able to be secured, etc.

Guess for the next weekend project my question becomes do I get new ones (although WW offering does not look like my original, which has the awesome German paper in the middle)...or, pull them off, and clean the bejesus out of them and tighten/solder them up.

Love to hear from any source which has done so, and how they did such.
Thanks all.
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the backside brass and solder the connections. Then RTV the back to prevent moisture from causing corrosion and grounds.

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definitely not RTV up that area. Solder up the riveted connections in the fuse box/s and headlight switch instead.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse Box Questions Reply with quote

phughes wrote:
First, my great thanks to members who responded to my simpleton questions, and to the forum as a whole - the information from both now has my '55 starting like a hungry kitten each cold morning, and all my lights working! Cheers to all. (grounding the starter was a lifesaver!)

Most issues could be traced to the fuse box connections. Old wires, dirty posts when they looked clean, etc.

Question now is on the fuse box (applies to the 4 and the 2 boxes)....which is: are these 're-buildable?' I have one square wire post which turns when the wire screw is tightened, and I know that will lead to trouble. I have yet to pull it off, so uncertain what the back looks like, or if these square posts are able to be secured, etc.

Guess for the next weekend project my question becomes do I get new ones (although WW offering does not look like my original, which has the awesome German paper in the middle)...or, pull them off, and clean the bejesus out of them and tighten/solder them up.

Love to hear from any source which has done so, and how they did such.
Thanks all.

It's not period, but you can drill through a square post and then solder wires yo make a good connection. You don't want a partial electrical connect....that means fire..... Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Abscate on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not our soldering job. DPO did OK, but needed hotter soldering iron and a little more practice or instruction. Still with the obvious soldering you get the idea of where to fix it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you carefully ping back down that one loose rivet on the back and solder every connection it will work much better!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it off and do a thorough cleaning. Use an ohm meter to see how much resistance you have between the screw terminal and the fuse spring. If your screw terminal block is moving spray some DeoxIT on it, twist it back and forth gently with a pair of pliers in an effort to get some of the DeoxIT to flow into the joint. Turn your fuse box upside down, placing the screw terminal block on a solid object such as a workbench vice and reset the rivet on the backside by carefully striking it with a hammer and something suitable such as a large steel punch which has a beveled pointed end on it but not so long that the point touches the recess of the rivet. Recheck the resistance between the screw terminal and the fuse spring.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many alternator stators fail at location where the solid wire was crimp to the terminals. When terminals are crimped on stranded wire, the crimped cylinder rebounds to a larger diameter after the crimp is completed. The stranded wire expands to create a gas tight joint between the terminal and the wire. This is required to keep the air form allowing corrosion to form over time, which would compromise the electrical connection.

The junctions at the bus bar between terminals creates an opportunity for air to enter the junction and cause corrosion. The current flowing through the compromised connection causes heat, which makes the problem worse leading to a failed connection.

Removing the bus bar and the terminals to clean them is not practical. A 16 AWG wire should be soldered between the terminals after a small drill is used to clean out the hole in the rivet to accommodate the bus wire. Solder the bus wire in the hole. Make sure the solder bus wire and terminal is heated enough to flow the solder.

I have encountered this problem in the past and soldering a bus wire between the two rivet holes was a successful solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: