Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator cable too short
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Accelerator cable too short Reply with quote

After switching to the 2L throttle body the gas pedal cable is *just* too short.

There are two parts to this--one, the cable housing will pop out of the nipple on the forward side of the vertical engine tin, which will then kink things just enough to hold the throttle open, and two, when the housing is in best I can get it the crimped cable end is literally just less than a 16th of an inch short, and so the tension in the cable itself will also hold the throttle open a fraction.

I adjusted as much as possible at the pedal cable housing.

Which leads to an even better question, what is the replacement for this unobtanium cable, late bus? I'm guessing that's the only available one long enough, and then, with what can the throttle end be be finished and recrimped? --Brad
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the same problem the other day! The wire for the 2,1 WBX TB was about 1 1/2" to short when put in the 412.
For the moment I solved it by adding another wire nipple and a short wire to the original wire end as an extension.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem aclong time ago. Instead of doing any mods to the cable housing at the firewall end...I found a, piece of tube to use as a spacer at the tunnel end and slid a piece of flexible tubing over the outside. I just used the spacer inline with the housing and the outer hose keeps it inline and its held in place with a pair of small hose clamps.

The short cable issue....I had at one time when I moved to the 2.0 TB as well. At one time I added an extender as well but its not that way right now.
I do know that there were at least two cables for the 411/412 cars. One was longer. Let me look in my log book and see if I recorded the last part # I used.

In the short term....to extend the cable.....if memory serves I used a slice of cheap mild steel rid from home depot about 1/8" on diameter. ..maybe slightly bigger. I clamped it in a vice and drilled a hole in each end the same diameter as the cable. I fed the wire in...and then crimped each end really hard.....talking like brutal vice grip work just to get it clamped enough to hold still....long enough to use a blunt chisel and 3lb sledge to really crimp it.

Thats one way.....and it works.....but come time to pull this back out of the sheet metal.... Laughing ....not so much.

So.....use a piece of about 1/4" mild rod....drill the same holes for the cable....but in the side in each end....drill two set screw holes. Put two small set screws in series in each end. That will hold just fine.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: