Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Medano Pass Muster - Date change 7/31-8/2 2015 - Colorado
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Medano Pass Muster - Date change 7/31-8/2 2015 - Colorado Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
Manfred58sc and I have been putting together an off road adventure here in Colorado. It's taken some time to iron out the details but we got it squared away.

So let's get ready for the Medano Pass Muster!

The new dates for this event will be 7/31-8/2 2015. This adventure will be open to all stock height (or lifted) VW Split Window Bus's, Bay Window Bus's, and Vanagons. Due to the challenging nature of the terrain please do not attempt this with a lowered bus or Eurovan. Friday night camping will be at the UFO watchtower just outside of Hooper. Camping there is $10 and we will have a reserved section. Signing up (on this thread) is appreciated so we know how big of a space to reserve. Early start on Saturday with final meet up at the base of Medano Pass Primitive Road( Dunes side) at 8:30. The park charges $10 per vehicle to enter. The Climb begins promptly at 9:00 am. This should 4-6 hour off road trip with sections of flat dirt road, sand, off road obstacles and 3 water crossings. Camping Saturday night will be on FR559 in the San Isabel National Forest on the east side of the pass. We will exit FS559 to CR559 to State Hwy 69. This is a family and dog friendly event. We encourage anyone who needs to get some work done to host "wrenching parties" so that as many of us can participate as possible.

As stated this is an off road adventure on a 4x4 road. This will be a no bus left behind trip and we will all need to bring a fair amount of supplies. You need to be self sustaining for this trip and have the approiate gear for off roading. Minimal things you will need are: good tires, toe strap, air compressor (will need to air down in the sandy sections), snow chains (there might be snow on top of the pass), tools and what ever else you carry.

We are happy to put this together and hope to see lots of buses from the Four Corners and beyond (insert creepy alien music Smile )!

Let the Muster begin!!!

UFO watchtower:
Located 2¹/² miles N.of Hooper, CO on HWY 17
Watch for the ALIEN signs!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 10 times in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in Cool

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this will be a blast.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.

BTW Rich where is the end point or exit point? I want to map out my return to Taos.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are in! who else is down to cruise 285 with us?! Cool

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to try it, not sure a Bus can handle it though! In the spring the water is like 4 feet deep just out of the dunes! Have seen, Toyota 4X4s that could not handle getting through the deep water and sand on the West end. The East end is really rocky too! I went up it a bit from the Westcliffe side and it was just too rough a ride for captive passengers. Pretty sure the water in the spring would be over 3 feet deep in places.

Beautiful area though, defiantly bring a dirt bike and scout it first! It will be interesting!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a challenge, some driving skill is required! The water crossings are an unknown and will remain so till the trip. I will be bringing plenty of chains/straps/come-allongs. I think I will bring a genny and a decent compressor for air ups. The sand areas are only grief if you stop in the wrong place. I did it from the Wet Valley side to to Dunes side back in the 90's, things have actually improved since then. On that trip I saw late 70's plymouth 4 door do the whole trip. The rocks up top are not bad, just go slow. Brian your return trip to Taos will probably be down hwy 67 to Walensberg then 160 back (there is a short cut i can show you..). There are all sorts of You-tube vids showing the whole trip done in Bloated 4wd's. This trip help Bus owners understand the "true power of a fully operational death star" or "its good to commit fully" to one's assault of the mighty Medano Pass!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I've always wanted to try it, not sure a Bus can handle it though!

Come on Dan, where's your sence of adventure.
’65 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenge accepted! Cool

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:

BTW Rich where is the end point or exit point? I want to map out my return to Taos.

Sorry I didn't include that. I edited the original post and added it. FS559 to CR559 to St. Hwy 69.
’65 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has me thinking what it would take to keep the spark wires and distributor from failing under water?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of off road products to protect the distributor (sleeves etc.), if the plug wires are in good shape with the circular flaps they should be fine for a short burst. If the water is as high as the Jeep (in the pic) then the Synchros will go first and then they anchor for the rest of us. It's not like the entire trail is that bad, just a few challenges to keep it interesting. "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for."
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang a Baja would have issues it seems. A stock bug would have problems too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
If the water is as high as the Jeep (in the pic) then the Synchros will go first and then they anchor for the rest of us.

Shocked Shocked Whose got a Synchros? Laughing I got a Syncro, that other sounds like pitted chrome.

Thanks Manfred for making me a guinea pig.... Laughing I will only go first after the tallest guy on the trip wades across first. I guess you are elected. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for."

My motto Smile

Looks like i should make sure my door seals are good...

Wonder how long the ba6 will last underwater?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:

Sorry I didn't include that. I edited the original post and added it. FS559 to CR559 to St. Hwy 69.

Thanks Rich. I was looking at the Forest Service road maps yesterday and not certain which section of 559 we were exiting on.

Manfred, I just asked Yvonne if she would be interested in trying this trek in the 2wd Vanagon Westy? She is up for it, which means I have to purchase some 15" MT tires for it, or something more aggressive. Would you guys be up for a novice driver coming along? I will take care of all the mechanical if it does breakdown.
The only reason I brought it up to her, was that way we could bring all of our dogs and do something that I enjoy together. She said she is not ascared! lol
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Yvonne is welcome!! Yes, driving skill is a must, but that does not mean this isn't a great place to learn that. Your fleet is very capable for off road adventures and we will all help each other out to address any issues that may arise. Dogs are also very welcome at this muster. The only modification I am planning on my stock 69 is some 205/75/14 with gnarly tread and decent sidewalls. I'm not suggesting the trip could not be done with street tires, it could. There are ways to temporarily reduce the flow in the water crossings, many,many dead trees in the area (enough said). We will be prepared with proper gear and attitudes.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Of course Yvonne is welcome!! Yes, driving skill is a must, but that does not mean this isn't a great place to learn that. Your fleet is very capable for off road adventures and we will all help each other out to address any issues that may arise. Dogs are also very welcome at this muster. The only modification I am planning on my stock 69 is some 205/75/14 with gnarly tread and decent sidewalls. I'm not suggesting the trip could not be done with street tires, it could. There are ways to temporarily reduce the flow in the water crossings, many,many dead trees in the area (enough said). We will be prepared with proper gear and attitudes.

Or a bus. Laughing Laughing
We'll see at the time, if she is still up for it. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will happily wade across any stream to check the scene and drive in a "dead man" if necessary. Compared to the recoveries I did with the towing company I used to work for , this is a pleasure. We need a sign up sheet..how do we do that? Brian?? Rich??
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medano Pass Muster Roster. Quote and add your name.

# 1. Manfred58sc/Manfred Bereuter
# 2. richparker/ Rich Parker
# 3. peaceful warrior/Brian Lewis
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: