Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Austin - Central Texas Vanagon Support Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcarr1212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Good Vanagon mechanic Austin, TX Reply with quote

Was just told by Austin Veedub they are one month out on any Vanagon work as they only have one mechanic for Vanagons. Having intermittent starting trouble. Replaced fuel pressure thingy, replaced CO2 sensor. Starts great runs for several days and then won't start. This last time it stalled after slamming on the brakes during daily Mopac adventures. Use to start if I held down accelerator and ran starter. Any recommendations on mechanic or fixes would be great.

Tim

91 GL, auto
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Good Vanagon mechanic Austin, TX Reply with quote

tcarr1212 wrote:
Was just told by Austin Veedub they are one month out on any Vanagon work as they only have one mechanic for Vanagons. Having intermittent starting trouble. Replaced fuel pressure thingy, replaced CO2 sensor. Starts great runs for several days and then won't start. This last time it stalled after slamming on the brakes during daily Mopac adventures. Use to start if I held down accelerator and ran starter. Any recommendations on mechanic or fixes would be great.

Tim

91 GL, auto

http://texasvanagons.com/repair-shops/

There's a few shops there that our TXV members have used in the past to work on their Vanagons. Check it out and join the TexasVanagons group!
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Vanagon mechanic Austin, TX Reply with quote

tcarr1212 wrote:

Tim

91 GL, auto

Hard to say what the verdict might be; as for local shops, I'd go with Underground. I've tried 3 of the 4 listed on the TXV site. Good luck!
scooterick86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe fuel pump clogged? I've had similar issues. Weak fuel delivery. Clogged up from crud in the tank.
ndoxsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Austin shops Reply with quote

I have been going to Underground for several years and recommend them. I wish they had a proper lift though, so I could have a better gander under my vans.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for the ATX group regarding Underground--they've left their N Lamar shop and moved further north to around Anderson Mill Rd at 11501 Randy Road.

Wanted to get the word out before somebody makes the mistake of limping to their old shop only to find out they've moved.
KindaHippyish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on going there pretty soon, probably this week, so thanks for the heads up. I checked out that address on maps. Is it in a residential area?
1986 Vanagon GL Syncro 2.1L WBX 4SPD - RIP Sad
86 for nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Justin on Friday. They hope to be up and running next week, as far as knowing what they have in inventory once things are unpacked and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MartinG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Underground VW's New Location Reply with quote

I drove by that address the other day just so I'd know where it was when I need them. It is indeed in a residential area. I hope they get up and running soon.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86 for nix wrote:
I talked to Justin on Friday. They hope to be up and running next week, as far as knowing what they have in inventory once things are unpacked and all.

total curiosity - did he mention why they moved? cheaper rent or did they get booted by a developer?

Either way, I'm bummed to see those guys move out of central ATX, but I'm gladded they're still at least in the general area.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston Area:

I'm posting this here since we have a few Houston area Vanagon owners that have attended the Austin Campouts.

I'm looking at setting up a camping event for the second weekend of June possibly in Huntsville State Park (65 miles north of downtown Houston). That would be Friday June 12th thru Sunday June 14th.

Where: Huntsville State Park
When: June 12th - 14th
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/kXGG2

So far it'd be myself, Kevin D. and possibly Dana A. and Nathan W.

Anyone else available this weekend? Also.. If you don't want to camp or can't devote the whole weekend you're welcome to drive up and hang out for the day...

We can get 2 vans per site easily so once I get a good idea of attendees I'll book the appropriate number of sites.

Anyone else interested?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your TexasVanagons Notification email for the month of June.

======================================
CONTEST Announcement!

TexasVanagons is giving away a $75 GoWesty Gift Certificate to one lucky winner. Entering is easy plus we give you a chance to get up to 3 entries for our random drawing. This contest is open to all Texas based Vanagon owners.

Contest info here:
http://texasvanagons.com/contest-75-gowesty-gift-card-giveaway/

June Event Calendar

Sharkapalooza VW Experience
Pilot Point, Texas
June 5 - 7
Event Type: Show/Campout
Map Here: https://goo.gl/maps/6DmNh
Info Here: http://www.sharkapaloozaexp.com/

Houston Area Vanagon Campout
Huntsville, Texas
June 12 - 14
Event Type: Campout/Meetup
Map Here: https://goo.gl/maps/mNpRS
Info Here:
I've booked 2 sites at Huntsville State Park (~65 miles north of downtown Houston) for Friday June 12 - Sunday June 14 in the "Coloneh Camping Area".

Attending:
1. Abel L.
2. Kevin D.
3. Dana A.
4. Nathan W.

There are water and electric hookups and we can get 2 vans per spot easily. So far I think we have 4 vans total going (as of 5/26) and there will be plenty of room if someone wants to come hang out for the day and not camp.

If we get more vans interested in coming out let me know and I can reserve another spot or two. The park is filling up quickly with the onset of summer so make up your minds quickly as it might sell out soon. Simply reply to me if you're interested. Thanks.

For complete list of Texas Events please visit:
http://texasvanagons.com/2015-events/
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Area Vanagon Meetup

Austin, Texas
Date: June 19 - Friday
Time: 5pm - 10pm
Event Type: Meetup
Info Here:

Member Nathan Doxsey has been kind enough to host us at his house for an Austin Meetup. For privacy reasons I am not going to post his address publicly here but I will send the address to attendees privately once you've confirmed. Location is near N Lamar Blvd & W 45th St .

The preliminary plan is just hang out and order a bunch of pizzas for us to grub on. Your're welcome to bring your beer of choice for the evening. Once the event gets closer and I get a good feel for the number of attendees I'll finalize dinner plans then.

Nathan assures me there is plenty of parking for as many vans as we can muster! Perfect! Meetup time is set at 5pm - 10pm so you can come and go as your schedule allows. I will be in town for the weekend and since Sunday is Father's Day I figured we'd get a meetup set for Friday.

Facebook Event Page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1652829748284726/

Abel Longoria
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
Austin Area Vanagon Meetup

Austin, Texas
Date: June 19 - Friday
Time: 5pm - 10pm
Event Type: Meetup
Info Here:

Member Nathan Doxsey has been kind enough to host us at his house for an Austin Meetup. For privacy reasons I am not going to post his address publicly here but I will send the address to attendees privately once you've confirmed. Location is near N Lamar Blvd & W 45th St .

The preliminary plan is just hang out and order a bunch of pizzas for us to grub on. Your're welcome to bring your beer of choice for the evening. Once the event gets closer and I get a good feel for the number of attendees I'll finalize dinner plans then.

Nathan assures me there is plenty of parking for as many vans as we can muster! Perfect! Meetup time is set at 5pm - 10pm so you can come and go as your schedule allows. I will be in town for the weekend and since Sunday is Father's Day I figured we'd get a meetup set for Friday.

Facebook Event Page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1652829748284726/

Abel Longoria

Dang! Even on my side of town, and we'll have to miss because we leave for CO that morning. You guys have fun. I'll try to make the next one.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Dang! Even on my side of town, and we'll have to miss because we leave for CO that morning. You guys have fun. I'll try to make the next one.

Bummer. There will be more, promise!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the big camping event I was telling a lot of you guys about. It's October 9-11 and held on Lake Belton which is about 70 miles North of Austin (just West of Temple). I've been the past 2 years and its been a blast! Definitely mark it on your calendars!

Event info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1578849335712719/

There's a ton of old school buses out at this event (~100) and our Vanagon attendance numbers have been steadily increasing! Gotta get a bunch more out there this year... Hope to see you there!

2012 - 9 Vanagons
2013 - 13 Vanagons
2014 - 16 Vanagons
2015 - ????
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you missed out on the Austin area meetup we had this past Friday night here's a small write-up on the event.

http://texasvanagons.com/austin-meetup-june-2015/

Hopefully we'll see you at the next one!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MartinG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture! Had a blast. Maybe my GL will be running next time! Very Happy

[/quote]
austinindian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: free parts Reply with quote

Before these go into ATX's landfill, was wondering if anyone wanted these used items. The plastic piece is the rear heater core cover in the non-westy vans and the seal (plastic ribbon type) is for the rear quarter driver's side window.

Bummed I missed the ATX meetup. Will swing by the next I hope.
artastx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Need to replace engine in my Blown 2.2L Sub in my 1990 Carat Reply with quote

I need help finding someone to install a 2.2L Subaru engine to replace my blown one in or around Austin,TX. I have a 1990 Carat fully converted and ready for a 2.2 swap. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: