Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Desirability of Split window Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you decide, do your research and be well informed when making the final purchase.
Are you going to buy a turnkey bus? :Make sure it wasnt made turnkey by shortcuts and hackery. There is a lot of that out there.
Are you going to fix it up yourself? :Make sure you know what you are getting into. missing parts can be very expensive, and in some cases, somewhat difficult to find.

Im a commercial bus person myself. I love trucks and panels. I wouldnt mind an early pressed bumper Kombi either.

Whatever you decide, i cant stress enough, RESEARCH and look for a NICE, ORIGINAL PAINT BUS. Thats gonna be your best bet IMHO
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with bubba...camper camper camper. Traded a 21 window for mine in fact. BUT, the best thing you might do is attend one of the several excellent bus shows in Florida!
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
notchboy wrote:
bubba wrote:
Campers,campers,campers! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Swivels, Swivels, Swivels !!!! Razz
Swivel Camper, Swivel Camper, Swivel Camper, best of both worlds! Laughing
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
notchboy wrote:
bubba wrote:
Campers,campers,campers! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Swivels, Swivels, Swivels !!!! Razz
Swivel Camper, Swivel Camper, Swivel Camper, best of both worlds! Laughing

Nerd! Laughing
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completeness is key. Without a doubt the hardest and most expensive model to piece together is a Westfalia . Don't let the Deluxe guys tell you otherwise.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Completeness is key. Without a doubt the hardest and most expensive model to piece together is a Westfalia . Don't let the Deluxe guys tell you otherwise.

x2 I might not have owned a deluxe, but early beetle and kombi are a walk in the park compared to early westy, you can still buy nos barndoor parts but when did you see an early westy nos part?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Totally agree; sometimes it feels like you will never get to stop hunting for all the bits and pieces; but if that's what you like. . . .

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
crofty wrote:
Totally agree; sometimes it feels like you will never get to stop hunting for all the bits and pieces; but if that's what you like. . . .

It took me 5 years to find my privy tent poles.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
crofty wrote:

I have given up ever replacing the missing cabinets from my rhd flipseat, and am resigned to converting some lhd ones after 8 years of looking. Case in point... I was lucky to acquire a nice solid 54 single cab this year (after years of looking), one that had been stripped of pretty much everything, it was a shell with 20- eng , within 8 mths Ive got pretty much all the correct og parts to put it back together.
Early westys are a looong term commitment, unless you are lucky enough to get a complete one or savvy enough and with deep enough pockets like some, to buy whole buses just to get the parts you are after...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask a 100 split window bus owners what is the best model/year to start, chances are you will get 200 different answers.

Just like what a lot of dedicated pre-67 bus owners had told you in this forum, it is all subjective. You mentioned that you own two Porsche 911’s. Those things go 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Well, VW pre-67 buses with original stock engines can go 0-60 in…well, rusts starts flying off your bus at 60mph.

Personally, I love owning campers because I love camping. Other VW bus owners I know are into 21/23 window buses because of different reasons. Some are satisfied to just owning an 11-window or a single cab. Some will only buy buses that were built during the 1950’s era.

There is one or more buses out there that has your name in it. All you need to do is find that bus(es).
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ateneo wrote:

Just like what a lot of dedicated pre-67 bus owners had told you in this forum, it is all subjective. You mentioned that you own two Porsche 911’s. Those things go 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Well, VW pre-67 buses with original stock engines can go 0-60 in…well, rusts starts flying off your bus at 60mph.

Agreed.
Ok we had fun on another thread with price differences, so here goes another:

It's not the MPH that's exciting, it's the smiles, the danger & feeling one with the road.
10mph in a Split = 35mph in a Porsche C4
25mph in a split = 70mph in a C4
45mph in a split = 100mph in a C4
60mph in a split = 130mph in a C4

When the rust starts flying & wind gusts push you around, it feels like the rear end just let loose on a twisty road in your Porsche.
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be an expert with mechanicals, but I just thought this video is hilarious & wanted to post it. It's not directed at you, but so true. I laugh every time I watch it.

12 years ago I had a DD panel that needed work. I wasn't ready for it. You need to be ready for it. Watch this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snckhUVo8XU
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breckskier wrote:
You may be an expert with mechanicals, but I just thought this video is hilarious & wanted to post it. It's not directed at you, but so true. I laugh every time I watch it.

12 years ago I had a DD panel that needed work. I wasn't ready for it. You need to be ready for it. Watch this...

That video is hilarious; "you meet the nicest poeople in a Honda!"

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Breckskier wrote:

Funny.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
crofty wrote:

The flip seat camper is the worst by far.

I suspect if those poles took you five years to find you were not willing to pay market value for them. Not that there's anything wrong with shopping wholesale, but those poles are not tough to find at all relative to other things.

Try finding the chair or a bowl.

i think a complete flipseat includes about $20,000 in "standard" accessories, and even with 20k in your pocket I doubt you could find them all. Two tents, rack, stove, bowl, light, cups, cot, chair, water bottles, table and tire bracket, toilet....
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
Breckskier wrote:

Funny.

That was great. How the truth can be so funny.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

The flip seat camper is the worst by far.

I suspect if those poles took you five years to find you were not willing to pay market value for them. Not that there's anything wrong with shopping wholesale, but those poles are not tough to find at all relative to other things.

Try finding the chair or a bowl.

i think a complete flipseat includes about $20,000 in "standard" accessories, and even with 20k in your pocket I doubt you could find them all. Two tents, rack, stove, bowl, light, cups, cot, chair, water bottles, table and tire bracket, toilet....

I didn't place an ad or anything, I just mentioned it to a few people over the years. I also never saw any pop up while I was looking.
Anyway, a Kind Gentleman from Idaho introduced me to a set at a very reasonable price to which I will be ever grateful!

As far as gathering parts, I couldn't agree more. I've had to find and buy a Privy tent, Foyer Tent, water bottles, complete table, icebox racks, NOS tumblers, chandelier, rack, and a few other small parts. It's crazy.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases of "car" brand valuation, the rarer, the more valuable. Ironic that the Sambas are demanding far more $$ than their hardtop counterparts, yet there were more Sambas produced. Subjective indeed, but then maybe there are less of them now due to rust, etc......and "cool" factor I suppose.

I cannot imagine owning one and not having the tools and ability to turn your own wrenches. As a matter of fact, I would deem it foolish to own one you could not fix on the side of the road yourself.

This would be my very first question I'd ask any prospective buyer.

Last edited by Fredrok on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: without question Reply with quote

Without question, the most desirable and valuable of all buses is the 1966 Westfalia camper, and the earlier that it was manufactured in that year, the better.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a little bit different then most bus guys. I like late splitties the best...bring on the fried eggs and elephant ears!

Drivability is the main reason, 1500cc engine and big nut gear boxes are where its at for stock (or mostly stock) bus drive trains.

As far as models go, ive never been much of a camper model follower, and kombi's have less interior paneling then I like. deluxes are neat, but i prefer 13 windows the best, - they are the most pleasing to my eye. and dont care at all for sunroofs. but as far as purchasing prices generally go, 11 window standards have been the most bus for my budget, and really i can give or take all the delux trimming stuff. 11 window standards have basically the same interior as deluxes - meaning full interior paneling - two tone to boot - and headliner. i dislike panels - hard to see out of and in the summer they function as rolling ovens. the trucks are cool, id take a single or double cab any day.

i also like neat M- Codes, but super rare options are not a high priority for me when it comes to finding a bus to buy. I look for completeness over any other feature. my current bus (1964 euro standard) doesn't really have any neat m-codes, but is it lacking a certain code - no destination country code - which in of itself is cool - it means it is a true german domestic market bus. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: