Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

May be of interest, 912 air filter housings in a '62 sedan
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: May be of interest, 912 air filter housings in a '62 sedan Reply with quote

While I'm waiting on my new transaxle from Rancho, I thought I'd mock the engine back up and see it I can could adapt some 912 air filter housings to my '62. Looks to me like it's going to be a go. I'll need to move the top air filter housing over on the air boxes and trim the length of the snorkel but after that they'll clear everything they need to clear. Should look and work like gold once finished, I've removed all the warts, and then painted to match.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwEEt!

Always thought of this idea, but never seen anyone do it.

Those are IDFs, right?
You had to mod the base-plate to make them fit vs. the old Zeniths(?) that were on there?

Too bad those air filter housings cost so much these days...

Shouting at your passenger on the highway does indeed get old after a while!

What’s That Noise?!?
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
SwEEt!

Always thought of this idea, but never seen anyone do it.

Those are IDFs, right?
You had to mod the base-plate to make them fit vs. the old Zeniths(?) that were on there?

Too bad those air filter housings cost so much these days...

Shouting at your passenger on the highway does indeed get old after a while!

Yes, IDFs. The original baseplates just need a few holes plugged and some new ones cut in to clear the top of the IDFs. I might machine complete new bases for them and add in a little more offset.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of those and the same idea. Until a local Porsche guy gave me 200 bucks for the dented up old filter housings! 912 parts are gold now.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Zenith, 40P 11 Solex. Anybody looking for a real clean set with no dents, shoot me a PM...
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine off of the classifieds here. They're solid and pretty good shape and I got them for a fair price ($150). I'm sure I'll suffer a momentary pang of guilt cutting them up. If I had to do it over again, I would just piece them together from other ads for a lot less money.

Here's one side for $25: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702664

Last edited by Anvil on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set on my 56 Ghia...except the filters have to go on the side for a Ghia. I did shorten the funnels and re flared them to get the airflow required for my engine, since those cleaners are from a 5500 rpm 1600. If you want to keep the theme going, a modified 36 or 40 horse oil bath air cleaner makes a fantastic breather box...exactly where your current one is.
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myb356 wrote:
I got a set on my 56 Ghia...except the filters have to go on the side for a Ghia. I did shorten the funnels and re flared them to get the airflow required for my engine, since those cleaners are from a 5500 rpm 1600. If you want to keep the theme going, a modified 36 or 40 horse oil bath air cleaner makes a fantastic breather box...exactly where your current one is.
Got a pic? I was wondering how to flare the shortened snorkel.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going so far. Does the engine lid also fit fully closed? It appears as though your air intake snout might stand up just a bit too high as it extends downward- Might you need to make a thin wedge cut from the underside of the snout where it meets up with the canister ("armpit"), to enable bending the snout downward slightly; and then reweld/braze?

For the $25 one in the linked ad, I'd have also bought it to "experiment".

From other photos of your car (Beetle in fall scenery), do you have your exhaust wrapped to also reduce engine noise?

I've also done some armchair thinking about another setup for my IDFs, to use the CB Performance turbo carb covers, and a 1967 (egads!) Beetle air cleaner mounted centrally using an angle-iron base. The angle iron would be installed on the fan shroud like a Berg carb linkage- using the 2 top holes for the generator backing plate and the upper coil hole. Use two fresh air hoses to connect the turbo covers to the rear face of the air cleaner. I bought a slightly dented air cleaner this summer for about $20 to experiment. But I'll need to install a CSP carb linkage to provide clearance in the upper section of the fan shroud to replace the Berg one I have now. Maybe a winter project.
myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no pics at the moment.. I am currently 8000 miles from my car.... As far as re flaring. I just used a hammer backed by something round.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever finish installing these air filter housings? What manifolds did you use? If so, I imagine it quieted down the intake roar down some?
tigerdyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Did you ever finish installing these air filter housings?
Could you please tell What manifolds did you use?

My plan was to do the same Very Happy
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, still not done. Engine and tranny are out of the car right now for upgrades. Manifolds I have are about 3/4" shorter than normal CB intakes. They might have originally been for Type 3s but got them used from a buddy.
tigerdyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: May be of interest, 912 air filter housings in a '62 sedan Reply with quote

Hello

Did you finish your engine?

If yes could I see some Pictures of your engnie? Are you still running your porsche 912 air filters?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: