Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring corrosion removal techniques
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Wiring corrosion removal techniques Reply with quote

I think therefore I am more on.
Along those lines it dawned upon me that a strong liquid acid dip would make quick work of dissolving tarnish and corrosion on wiring spades and connectors.

Is there a mild acid that would be safer, be easily neutralized and effective? Or do use steal your wife's emory board, slip it and hope it fits inside the connectors and gets some of the tarnish while she doesn't notice?
Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a strong vinegar - acetic acid - I buy the acetic acid used for developing film (that was the thing before digital, right?) and dilute it
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an aerosol Electrical Contact Cleaner. Any auto store. The pressure action cleans where you simply can't inside connector female pins and spades. Safe and effective.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I've never found one that cleans as well as acid on those CU-oxide fouled connectors. I do use one after the acid to clean away the acid and leave a protective deposit.

BTW acid may need an overnight bath to work
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the DeoxIT brand cleaners for removing minor oxidation and surface corrosion.

Any terminals that can't be cleaned up with a quick spray should probably be investigated further, since the corrosion often tends to travel up the wires under the insulation.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used CRC contact cleaner but that just gets the dust off.

thatvwbusguy wrote:
I like the DeoxIT brand cleaners for removing minor oxidation and surface corrosion.

Is this the stuff?

http://www.radioshack.com/deoxit-d5s-6-spray-contact-cleaner-and-rejuvenator/6400249.html#start=1

The directions "imply" that it will remove the corrosion and leave a protective coating? Sounds too good to be true. Do you add any kind of other protective coating like dielectric grease?

thanks everyone.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always used baking soda and water. Not an acid but it works and I don't worry about the residue corroding other things
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Ive always used baking soda and water. Not an acid but it works and I don't worry about the residue corroding other things

How do you apply it? Do you dip the connectors into the water with dissolved baking soda? What ratio do you mix?

Thanks for sharing.
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to remove the sheath and check that the corrosion hasn't extend into the wire. On the boats I work on it is not uncommon to find damage from corrosion over 15' to 20' (yes feet) inside the wire. If you are not seeing shiny copper when you strip the sheath then just putting a new end on or cleaning the end will not correct the problem. Keep cutting back the wire until you find clean copper, if you don't or you run out of length than it is time to replace the entire length of wire or cable. The purple or brown or rust colored corroded wire will still conduct but it will have enough added resistance internally to cause issues depending on what it is used for.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
buildyourown wrote:

How do you apply it? Do you dip the connectors into the water with dissolved baking soda? What ratio do you mix?

Thanks for sharing.

Either, but it works best if it's submerged. I just fill a little jelly jar and dunk the ends in. They get all foamy and come out sparkly clean after a few minutes.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DeoxIT D-Series is the product that I use most. It is available in 5% or 100% strength. I don't think the D-Series has any protective properties to speak of. I always use dielectric grease for connections that need to be protected from the elements.

If you do find wires that show lots of corrosion under the insulation, tinned marine wire is the best choice for replacement. Greg's Marine Wire Supply has high quality marine wire made in the USA. They offer great pricing and even better service! https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Zen/

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: