Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

This may be a waste of time but I'll ask anyhow. I love driving my '66 Sedan but that sucker sure does ride rough. We have fairly bumpy streets and I was wondering if there's anything short of transplanting the body onto a later model Beetle pan that will improve the ride.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some possible causes:
- worn rear torsion arm bushings.
- worn shock bushings.
- gas shocks (too firm for the light Beetle).
- too-high tire pressure

Also, other worn suspension parts will make you feel bumps sharply, even though the basic ride is okay. Tie rods, ball joints, play in the steering gear can all make it seem harsher than it really is.

Also, a lot of noise make sit seem harsher. Air leaks, squeaks, rattles all make your brain think it's shaking itself apart.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
This may be a waste of time but I'll ask anyhow. I love driving my '66 Sedan but that sucker sure does ride rough. We have fairly bumpy streets and I was wondering if there's anything short of transplanting the body onto a later model Beetle pan that will improve the ride.

What tire inflations? Should be 18PSI front 28 PSI rear. Also, what kind of shocks? Any gas charged shocks ride like shit. You need original VW oil shocks for the best ride like Wolfsburg West sells.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

shortride wrote:

What tire inflations? Should be 18PSI front 28 PSI rear. Also, what kind of shocks? Any gas charged shocks ride like shit. You need original VW oil shocks for the best ride like Wolfsburg West sells.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
shortride wrote:

As far as I know the shocks are stock and the tire pressure in my new Coker tires is exactly as you stated. I'm no expert at this but it feels like the torsion bars are worn out. I guess that's possible isn't it?

doc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What symptoms are you experiencing? And as far as the ride quality, what is your basis of comparison? Torsion bars do wear, but a lot of guys are running 60 year old bars with no complaints. Check All bushings, and consider cleaning out the old grease in the front tubes and re-greasing.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc1976 wrote:
What symptoms are you experiencing? And as far as the ride quality, what is your basis of comparison? Torsion bars do wear, but a lot of guys are running 60 year old bars with no complaints. Check All bushings, and consider cleaning out the old grease in the front tubes and re-greasing.

The suspension feels stiff. I feel every little bump in the road. I know this is and old car and shouldn't expect it to ride like a new one. It may just be wishful thinking but I would like to improve the ride somewhat. There's not a rattle in the car and I'm thankful for that. The shocks need to remove to see what condition they are in first I would imagine. On the other hand there may not be much can be done to my car to improve the ride.

planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: '66 ride Reply with quote

I agree with the gas shocks and tire pressure. I'm wondering how worn torsion springs will make it ride stiff instead of soft and mushy.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check and see what shocks you have on it. I drove a buddy's 68 and he wanted to drive my stock 67. He was SHOCKED at how nice my 67 rode compared to his. I couldn't stand how his 68 rode. It was so stiff and had no suspension travel. When I got out of his 68, I couldn't even push his front end down. He had gas charged front shocks on it and was running 32psi front and 36 rear.

He went and bought stock, oil filled shocks and lowered his tire pressures down and said he had a new car..

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the car lowered or stock height?

Stand on the front bumper and see if your suspension has any play. Only things that would effect the ride quality would be the ball joints, torsion leaves & shocks.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a full tank ........
fabricator john
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
shortride wrote:

As far as I know the shocks are stock and the tire pressure in my new Coker tires is exactly as you stated. I'm no expert at this but it feels like the torsion bars are worn out. I guess that's possible isn't it?

In the amount of decades past,it is entirely possible that the stock oil shocks have either leaked out all of the oil, or congealed, or some other malady could have transpired.

You don't necessarily have to purchase the, from WW, you just need to know the brand "Boge" and that they are oil shocks.

Good luck, and let us know what you discover!

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

shortride wrote:

The torsion bars don't actually "wear out" but they do sag with age, so the car feels lower, or lop sided and it can "wollow" in corners. Very easy to fix if that is the problem.

First get behind the car and look at the tyres from the rear - they should be a little pigeon toed - positive camber, and the car should look level left to right. If the tyres look vertical or even negative camber, then the torsion bars have sagged some. The axle tubes should have about a 2 degree down angle from the gearbox to the wheels.

Also look at the car on level ground - put a spirit level on the door sill - it should be level - if the car slopes to the rear at all, then that confirms the torsion bars have sagged.

There is a complete article on our web site for resetting to torsion bars. You probably wont need any new parts (although if the big rubber end-bushings are worn you'll get a harsh rattly ride), and it takes about 3 hours per side the first time you do it.

www.vw-resource.com/rearaxle.html
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anything To Make My '66 Sedan Ride Better? Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
shortride wrote:

The torsion bars don't actually "wear out" but they do sag with age, so the car feels lower, or lop sided and it can "wollow" in corners. Very easy to fix if that is the problem.

First get behind the car and look at the tyres from the rear - they should be a little pigeon toed - positive camber, and the car should look level left to right. If the tyres look vertical or even negative camber, then the torsion bars have sagged some. The axle tubes should have about a 2 degree down angle from the gearbox to the wheels.

Also look at the car on level ground - put a spirit level on the door sill - it should be level - if the car slopes to the rear at all, then that confirms the torsion bars have sagged.

There is a complete article on our web site for resetting to torsion bars. You probably wont need any new parts (although if the big rubber end-bushings are worn you'll get a harsh rattly ride), and it takes about 3 hours per side the first time you do it.

www.vw-resource.com/rearaxle.html

I had this subject come up shortly after I got my car back in February and have had different comments made about it.

The rear wheels and tires are perfectly straight up and down. According to the level the rear of the car is lower than the front by about one inch.

I realize it's been a long time but I had a brand new '66 Sedan in Germany and I don't remember it sitting as low as this car. I also realize this is an old car and I should expect it to sit or ride like a new one but I was hoping there was something I could do to help the ride and get it closer to factory spec's.

Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortride,

Just reset the rear torsion bars and it's back to "as new" for the rear suspension.

VW knew they would eventually sag with age so designed them to be reset easily. There are 44 spline on one end and 40 on the other, so a one-up-one-down rotation on each end changes the spring plate angle by 0.9 degrees or so, so it's possible to get quite close to "new" with the settings.

I've done it twice in the 43 years I've had my 1970 bug - it still has it's original torsion bars and even the rubber bushes at the outer ends are the originals.

Just make sure you mark the spring plates and brake hubs with a chisel mark so you can line them up again after doing the job - the spring plates have elongated holes for setting the toe out (yes, toe out 2mm) for the rear suspension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this first before you do anything else, push down on the bumpers with the shocks hooked up, observe resistance. then undo one end of the shocks and repeat test. If it is the shocks you will tell by the resistance felt.
I have over 300K on my 60 and have yet to adjust the rear torsion bars and it sets and rides like new. I run Boge oil filled shocks on the front and KYB GR2's on the rear.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yrs I refurbed bugs the shocks on most never changed, worn/flat. Not orig but radials made a big diff after air press set . I finally settled on Gabriel gas, not real firm like most and made sure it was sitting at correct level. These dropped ones will never ride anything but crap, vw's best won'tbe like todays small ones, my 2cts.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
Shortride,

Just reset the rear torsion bars and it's back to "as new" for the rear suspension.

VW knew they would eventually sag with age so designed them to be reset easily. There are 44 spline on one end and 40 on the other, so a one-up-one-down rotation on each end changes the spring plate angle by 0.9 degrees or so, so it's possible to get quite close to "new" with the settings.

I've done it twice in the 43 years I've had my 1970 bug - it still has it's original torsion bars and even the rubber bushes at the outer ends are the originals.

Just make sure you mark the spring plates and brake hubs with a chisel mark so you can line them up again after doing the job - the spring plates have elongated holes for setting the toe out (yes, toe out 2mm) for the rear suspension.

I was told by someone that the back-end is actually suppose to be lower. I do remember that my new '66 had positive camber on the rear wheels.

I'm going to leave that to someone that know more and has experience re-indexing the torsion bars.

Thanks for the input guys.

Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:

I was told by someone that the back-end is actually suppose to be lower. I do remember that my new '66 had positive camber on the rear wheels.

I'm going to leave that to someone that know more and has experience re-indexing the torsion bars.

Thanks for the input guys.

"Someone" does not know much about bugs.

ALL, repeat ALL swing axle bugs come with a slight positive camber - the axles should angle down from the gearbox to the wheels by about 2 degrees.

That ensures that a small pool of gear oil remains behind the wheel bearings - it's the only lube they get. running negative camber ensures you will be running dry wheel bearings. Positive camber also ensures than the suspension has the maximum amount of vertical travel without HUGE changes in camber angle (positive to negative rather than negative to wildly negative). Setting the car to negative camber can also destroy the drive-spades on the inner ends of the axles.

Resetting the rear torsion bars so you have the correct slight positive camber is easy to do (read the article on our web site), and returns the suspension to the factory settings. Just don't swap the torsion bars when resetting (do one side at a time) as they all have a pre-set ...left and right hand versions.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1966 owner's manual says tire pressures should be 16 psi front and 24 psi rear, if carrying 1 to 2 passengers, and 17 / 26 if carrying 3 to 5.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: