Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail light styles
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Tail light styles Reply with quote

Yesterday, I inserted the tail light lenses and diffusers into the housings and discovered that I have two different style housings. The one on the right takes a retaining clip that has tabs that go into slots in the housing. The one on the left takes a retaining clip that fits into a continuous groove in the housing. See pic below....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these from different years? If so, does anyone know when they made the change?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the left is Hella and the one on the right is SHO. Just alternate suppliers. The housings do have slightly different shapes so it is best not to mix the two on the same car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
The one on the left is Hella and the one on the right is SHO. Just alternate suppliers. The housings do have slightly different shapes so it is best not to mix the two on the same car.

I don't think that that is necessarily true. I have seen many slotted housings over the years that were both Hella and SHOs. I think that the "grooved" ones were a post production later design. Just my hunch as they all seem newer. I have never seen a grooved one that I know was on a car originally.

Max, look at the bottom of the housing, outside, near the bottom hole. Should be markings there with manufacturer. Set them next to each other on a flat surface also, SHOs are a bit taller than Hellas. If they are Hella and SHO , you can still use them on the car, it will be virtually impossible to tell the difference with a decklid between them...... but you (and all of us!) will know..... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: