Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which header and collector for my 1776 ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slammedragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Which header and collector for my 1776 ? Reply with quote

Looking to switch back to a heater box system. I'm currently running a 1 5/8 merged header with a magnaflow muffler. Looking to go with the 1 1/2 in heater boxes since the stockers don't seem to flow enough. I tried a set of stock heater boxes and a standard empi 1 3/8 header and dual quiet packs once on this motor and definitely felt a big drop in power. I have several systems laying around that I can use just wondering what would be best. Herer's my engine combo:

110 engle cam
stock heads
stock ratio rockers
8.5 compression
dual 40 weber's

The standard headers that have the large three bolt flange are the only ones that seem to come in 1 1/2 in unless you get a sidewinder or something. I do have a standard header with the large 3 bolt flange and the euro tuck away muffler for it that's new. not crazy about the poor bends from the flange to the glass packs. I have the 1 3/8 headed and hideaway muffer just seems dumb to do 1 1/2 tubed heater boxes to a 1 3/8 header.

Thoughts are appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which header and collector for my 1776 ? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/STREET-MAX-HEADER-1-5-8-w-Stinger-Ceramic-Raw-p/2009-13-2009-23.htm

is excellent.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Danny at Kymco He has a very nice 1-1/2" flanged heater box set up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to over all select the exhaust for your application would be to dyno test them all. Dyno's tell lots about the build and what will work the best. Now with deep pockets you could do that. You are using stock headded valves. I stay with stock heater boxes and 1 3/8 myself.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with the bugpack streetmax
slammedragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and pics. Definitely leaning towards that style of header. From what I've found online looks like empi also makes one of the similar style as well. Tried the euro tuck on a motor I had on the run stand wasn't really into the sound and don't like exhaust bends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mufflers and headers, id stay away from Empi models. They dont last. Bugpack makes excellent header and muffler set ups and u get your moneys worth imo.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: