Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 thing no power to starter
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW-junkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: 1974 thing no power to starter Reply with quote

1974 thing, has been setting in garage for about 1 yr. When parked in garage it was running and starting, no issues. No I have intermittent power when the key is engaged. Engaging key to start, I lose all power, starter does not make any noise, replaced starter, ignition switch, cleaned all battery cables & ground straps. key in ignition at on position I sometimes get power. Tail lights & park lights work, headlights do not. traced power to light switch, both red wires hot, key switch has power and power back to light switch. Fuses are good and light up on each end, battery is charged. Turn ignition switch to start, I lose all power. Let it set for a while power will return. Please help. Thanks
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the wires on the switch are pushed all the way on. Sometimes they push back on the black plastic plug. Fought this for a year on one of my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the battery new? If it is not have it load tested. Otherwise check your battery connections are clean and tight. Batterys can be shorted inside and do not have the amperage they need to turn the starter over.
GB
VW-junkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I replaced the plastic on the ignition switch the connection fit snug. I get power thru the switch back to the light switch. I have cleaned all battery connections at both ends and have remove and cleaned the ground strap. The battery is not new, I will have it checked today. Thanks again for ur insights.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the plug may fit nice but the wires may not be in the plug all the way. When I would push the plug on, one wire would push back and would barely touch the switch. The terminals are only held in the plug by a little tab, 40 years old ?. Just one thing to check .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I know that the plug may fit nice but the wires may not be in the plug all the way. When I would push the plug on, one wire would push back and would barely touch the switch. The terminals are only held in the plug by a little tab, 40 years old ?. Just one thing to check .

Yes to this. On my car the plug barely holds the connectors. If I have to unplug it, when I plug back in I use a needle nose pliers to properly seat each wire.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wiring diagram might help (from Rebel Wire where I got my harness)

http://ajcustomauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/vw-diagrams.bmp

First do you have power coming into the switch "Ing. pwr 30"?

Next, with power from "30" and the key turned to the first position you should have power to the ignition and coil "15".

Finally with the key in the second or start position, the switch sends power to "50".

As Ron and the Captain said check all of these connections. If you have power at "50" and its not getting power to the starter either the connector is bad or the wire is bad. Ohm meter would be your friend here. Wink
VW-junkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery checked out strong today. re installed battery. I have contact from positive post on battery to body. I have power to the starter and out the solenoid. I have NO power to voltage regulator or switch. I will be looking for loose wire connections tomorrow. Thanks for the reply with the wiring diagram.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: