Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big Beef manifolds - Will they fit?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Big Beef manifolds - Will they fit? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just put my order in for a set of Steve Tims Stage 2 heads for a motor I am building. So I need to send in my manifolds to get port matched. I have a set of CB EFI dual carb offset manifolds, but I had considered upgrading to a set of Big Beef EFI manifolds from CB and sell the offsets.

Greg had said both will work, but said that the straight shot design of the Big Beef's obviously have their benefits, but I am wondering if they will fit?

All pictures that I can find of Big Beef manifolds online are with people running IDA's and no air filters. The only person that I was able to find a picture of with Big Beef's, IDF's and air filters was a late model car with an obviously wider engine bay:

Big Beef
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Offset

My motor is going into a 65 bug, but will be running a 40mm IDF throttle bodies from CB and want to run air filters - whether it be normal K&N filter with bases, or with individual Uni filters similar to Glenn's motor.

So my question to the population is - has anyone run Big Beef's on a early beetle with air filters? Don't want to order the new manifolds if all they are going to do is cause my issues...

All input is appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have them in my 1960 bug.
I changed the angle on the bottom to tilt them in slightly.

As always.......right filter will hit decklid.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run those individual Uni filters on IDF's. You need to cover the idle air bleed passages by running a full air filter, especially on a street car....unless you like cleaning carb passages out on a routine (constant) basis. Ask me how I know. Embarassed And then have a looksy here at the solution I came up with for my '63 bug:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428859&highlight=beef+manifolds

I welded some aluminum 911 style water shields up for these filters a few years back, but I haven't taken pics of them yet. They have to be notched for decklid clearance, but they do a much better job of keeping water out than just the filter itself!

The tapered filters are 4" tall, unlike the standard 3.25-3.5" tall filters most run:

I plan to resurface the manifold bases to angle the carbs in more towards the shroud for better body clearance...one day, after I finish my other 10,000 projects Embarassed :

Second version of the same engine:

Andy

Last edited by youngnstudly on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, must of been sober while posting helpful info...won't happen again.

Last edited by youngnstudly on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngnstudly wrote:
Don't run those individual Uni filters on IDF's. You need to cover the idle air bleed passages by running a full air filter, especially on a street car....unless you like cleaning carb passages out on a routine (constant) basis. Ask me how I know. :oops:

Going the fuel injected route (both the manifolds I spoke about above are for EFI, so I shouldn't have to deal with cleaning carb passages. But if dirt was getting into your carb passages, maybe the foam doesn't filter enough.....

Here's another photo I found (little earlier than my car, but it gives a good idea.

Big beef vs Empi offset

With the big beef and air filters, looks like the decklid might not even close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:

Going the fuel injected route (both the manifolds I spoke about above are for EFI, so I shouldn't have to deal with cleaning carb passages. But if dirt was getting into your carb passages, maybe the foam doesn't filter enough.....

Here's another photo I found (little earlier than my car, but it gives a good idea.

Big beef vs Empi offset

With the big beef and air filters, looks like the decklid might not even close.

Please forgive me, I was obviously wasting my time by posting my solution for running Big Beef manifolds and full air cleaners in an earlier engine compartment, with a fully closing decklid. I'll go back to being a spectator now while you take the lead and track down some definitive answers on the subject. Rolling Eyes
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 64 bug with big beefs, 44 IDFs and airfilters, I could close the decklid fine, but I prefer offset manifolds
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 sets of big beef intakes on diferent motors,but my car is the lator wide body and no lid. they are a very nice intake,just wish they had more meat at the sides by the bolt holes. I like the idea of the tapered filters.or like modoc did, I angle milled a set of the offsets to move the carbs inward 3/4" but both top & bottom have to be milled to keep the carb upright and not tilted when you mill that much. or hats,large tube going to a filter box.kinda like a turbo look.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Greg say just how much of a benefit the Big Beef's would be. My guess would be that you wouldn't be able to feel it with the but dyno...
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
Did Greg say just how much of a benefit the Big Beef's would be. My guess would be that you wouldn't be able to feel it with the but dyno...

Funny that you say that. I called him 20 minutes ago just to clarify with him his thoughts on the matter. He said that the straight shot manifold is nice, but he said with the way they port the offset manifolds, it will be very close performance wise.

He also chimed in saying that I am in a little different boat than some of the carbureted guys. Being that my injectors are down at the bottom of the manifolds, he said really your just letting air down the manifold to the head. He said with the suction of the intake, that he believes the differences will be very minimal. He said if I was running carbs and worrying about the flow of fuel and air, it might be a different story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: