Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon / Boxster engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:

The transmission is flippable?

Which way is it oriented in the B5?

It is flippable, done fairly often in Europe, but you end up with some extreme angles on your CV joints, as the outputs are at the bottom of the trans in normal config. and on top when flipped.

The B5 is a longitudinal setup, both 2WD and AWD versions. The B5 (98-05) Passat is an Audi wearing a cheap suit.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.
Will go back and reread everything with that in mind.
Too bad about the angles
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
fraggle00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

Actually, the watercooled series of 911 engines is just as tall as its air-cooled predecessor. Porsche configured the engine around the available space and came up with another tall engine. So, unfortunately, you would have to raise the rear deck for the newer engines too.

Dave

Too bad! I wonder if you could cheat with a custom intake or some such. I've never had one out to look at how it's put together.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I personally would never choose a flat engine for this application, but I suspect the bellhousing pattern on those would almost necessitate the use of a modern rear engine Porsche 911 transaxle $$$

That Boxtser comes from the factory with the same transmission as a B5 Passat. I've got one in my garage right now that I just bought with a bad engine. I'm considering attempting to bolt a TDi up to it. That would be a cool Boxster.

Check it out!
Mock up of a tdi in my boxster.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still not sure if I want to go with a tdi or a 1.8t in this car.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out!

Mock up of a 1.8t in my boxster..

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I loves me some TDI, I think that 1.8T would be a better match for the trans gearing, as well as the overall character of the vehicle. Cool project

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always something fun happening in East Nassau, NY Cool

Changing out engines faster than I can get another cup of coffee! Geesh....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
As much as I loves me some TDI, I think that 1.8T would be a better match for the trans gearing, as well as the overall character of the vehicle. Cool project

Zeit- To me a hot tuned TDi in the sweet Boxster body would be a cool car. I could easily swap the V6 passat transmission in place of the stock Boxster one and it would give me good gearing for the TDi. At 65, it would put RPMs about 200 higher than a stock tdi transmission. Just enough to give it a sporty feel but not too high to ruin the MPGs.
Although I also have a few extra 1.8t engines hanging around. 200hp with a tune compared to 205 stock 2.5 Boxster HP with the advantage of about 150 lbs less weight would be fun.

Levi- Put down that cup of coffee and get to work with your own engine swap, I'm looking forward to seeing that up and running.

Andrew-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

a full year later, i finally made some time for this project.

the engine 1.8t is bolted up to the transmission for good. Going to make this happen soon!!!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

You go Andrew Exclamation
Looking forward to seeing the Bster run again.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

Mine! I have no idea VW has a 5 valve engine. Yamaha made a stir debuting their first 5 valve motorcycle 4-cylinder 4-stroke engine. Was Yamaha the first?

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

All the 1.8t engines were 5 valve per cylinder. The U.S. First got them in 1997 Audi A4. I believe Europe had them as early as 1995.

This engine will give me almost the same horse power as the stock Boxster engine and save about 150 lbs. it is also gives me a lot more room to service it.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

"It will never work!"
Cool project man! I hope we see tons of pictures Smile Popcorn
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

I wish Porsche would just finally ditch the flat engines once and for all. The 1.8t was the perfect powerplant for these nifty cars from the moment they were conceived.

y u rune klassik?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I wish Porsche would just finally ditch the flat engines once and for all. The 1.8t was the perfect powerplant for these nifty cars from the moment they were conceived.

Are you kidding me? I am very happy that Porsche have stuck to their guns that excellent engineering can almost defy the common wisdom of "sound engineering". Up until circa 2010, very little appreciation was tendered to the Vanagon and the engineers what had worked so hard to overcome the handicap of the rear pancake engine configuration.

Today, the old 911s are commending very high prices, not so much for their performance, but their significance in a chapter of automotive engineering history.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

I'm cool with the old aircooled 911 flat engines, but once they opted to go full H2O-cooling, they should've just used inlines or vee configurations. Flat engines are a design deadend that require way too much oddball tooling and packaging accoutrements that don't relate to other VAG offerings. The Porsche design and chassis tuning is distinct enough to survive the loss of this vestigially useless limb of an engine configuration pedigree.

y u rune klassik?
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

Awesome project! I was recently on the Renegade hybrids site and saw that they are doing Boxster conversions now. ( V8 crate motors )
The videos look insane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
This engine will give me almost the same horse power as the stock Boxster engine and save about 150 lbs. it is also gives me a lot more room to service it.

Hmmm, last night my wife said I should get a sports car for my next car as we left a funeral where one friend had a Z4 BMW and the other Mini-S Clubman.
I was telling them about wanting a BMW wagon with a 6-speed for my next ride.

Hmmm, Porsche Boxster with a 1.8T - I think she might even approve, as long as Andrew is doing the swap (Andrew can guess why). Can you fit a bike rack on one? Laughing

Miata was ruled out by her.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Awesome project! I was recently on the Renegade hybrids site and saw that they are doing Boxster conversions now. ( V8 crate motors )
The videos look insane.

Thanks Eric, I'm really looking forward to driving this with the 1.8t. Knowing that the engine is very easily and inexpensively repaired, I'll be able to have a lot more fun with it.

Andrew-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon / Boxster engine Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Hmmm, last night my wife said I should get a sports car for my next car as we left a funeral where one friend had a Z4 BMW and the other Mini-S Clubman.
I was telling them about wanting a BMW wagon with a 6-speed for my next ride.

Hmmm, Porsche Boxster with a 1.8T - I think she might even approve, as long as Andrew is doing the swap (Andrew can guess why). Can you fit a bike rack on one? Laughing

Miata was ruled out by her.

I've also got a 1999 911 C4, I'm looking to sell one or the other, I don't need two Porsches taking up garage space. Let me know if you're interested.

Andrew-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: