Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought our 1st Van 2500 miles away, what could go wrong?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bought our 1st Van 2500 miles away, what could go wrong? Reply with quote

First a thanks for all of you who have kept me up 4 hrs. past my bedtime every night during the last 2 months reading your posts, sticky's and classified ad's!

A little background on us. She: A native SanDiegan for 30 years, beach girl/surfer and thinks 5 star accommodations are running water, flushing toilet and a meal served to you at a table. She is perfectly content if she is dry, warm and occupied. This could be an activity or just looking out the window while traveling. Me: camps with 2 dogs and as long as it's NOT 110 degrees or hotter and I AM NEAR some form of water/snow/tree bark I can be happy for ever.

I pulled the trigger recently on a 90 GL with a reman 2.2 Subaru and some goodies ( some installed, others thrown in on the deal) and am flying 2500 miles away with my wife beside me in a couple weeks, shipping an Amazon/GoWesty care package ahead of us along with our own care package with some camp gear/tools/dry meals to break the Van in the right way during the first week of ownership. At first you would think " he is obviously taking the Southern route from the East through TX or AZ and up the beautiful 74 degree state of CA on their way back to Oregon" , but nooooo, my wife insists we stop in Arkansas, Kansas City, Denver and Boise... " as long as we are back there". I love snow and she just ordered a Ukulele with some online YouTube instructional videos to teach her how to play the thing the whole way home Smile If I haven't crawled out of my skin by the time we get home, then we will have had a successful trip.

I have ordered a couple things to make the trip a little easier. A zero degree queen sleeping bag, a liner, some vent shade wind guards, a small Mr. Buddy heater ( have one somewhere or loaned it out and can't find it--yes, cracking a window hence the vent guards) a couple magnetic LED interior lamps, Pilot gas station app for an " all in one stop-fuel-sleep-shower etc". We will have the luxury of sleeping over at some of the stops with friends and a plated meal vs. boiling water and pouring it in the bag ,although the lasagna is the bomb and shipping our Coleman stove with an 8" cast iron for breakfasts all nestled into a cooler to arrive before we fly in.

Any words of encouragement or wisdom? I have several road trips under my belt in a tent or a tarp next to my Motorcycle, but never a Vanagon on a cold climate trip with my native SoCal wife learning to play the Uke!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! HAVE FUN!

Bring a AAA card and a great attitude.

Have a plan to bail out if needed (mine was always a AAA tow to the nearest UHaul place and a rental of a truck and tow dolly to get home).

Sounds like you are preparing to do a major tune-up before leaving on the journey home. Fuel lines should be part of it of course.

Check the tires for correct rating and age.

You've got the right attitude.... go for it! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver to Boise?

Coming thru Utah, you already have friends. If you have any issues. We are here to help.

Vanagon Rescue Squad.

Have fun!!! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip!!

...but no using propane while asleep. Portables have a low O2 sensor, but not a CO sensor. If a propane heater either goes out or malfunctions and COs you, your post count will be stuck forever and you will rob Samba of your tales.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8" is kind of small even for only 2 people you may find a 12" will make things easier. The rest seems like a solid plan.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" your post count will be stuck forever and you will rob Samba of your tales"

Hahaha! It's just to warm the van before bed and first thing in the A.M. windows cracked while we are awake and heater running.

Thanks Syncro Jael, crossing fingers no break downs!

dobryan, We have been AAA members since both our parents gave us each Samsonite for Xmas and AAA memberships on our 18th birthdays lol.

I normally cook with a 12 and yes the 8 looks small ( I actually think its a 6), but a few sautéed veggies and some diced ham drowned in 4 eggs should fit. We are going to premix and freeze the eggs at the sellers place before we leave, pre cut and prep a few meals for along the way and pack light. We did 14 days in western Jamaica out of 2 small back packs and cooked half our meals Smile

Me: Can you pick us up at the airport?
Seller: Yes, of course
Me: cool, would you mind if we camped the first night in the van ....in your driveway?
Seller: uhhh...ummm sure

He sounds like a cool kat and has been very accommodating.

Flying out in 14 days whoop whoop! Just scheduled the van at the local tint shop. 35% front, limo rear including the hatch and lightest film possible on the windshield. Still on the hunt for a 8 piece window insulation kit to ship back and use on the trip home. may just hit the Home Depot on the next day for some double bubble , scissors and Velcro to make a full set in the parking lot. All of the vendors in the states are out of stock Sad
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need a place to camp, shower, do anything on the van... we are just outside of Boulder.
I would order up a new ignition and light switch if you can get them before you leave and if you want to go crazy an alternator, clutch slave and one of the cheap fuel pumps off amazon. then you are pretty covered.
have a great time!
todd
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you didn't say which state this new to you Vanagon is coming from or if you did I missed it. Few east coast and midwest states will offer the low level of rust common to Oregon rigs though, hope your new find isn't eaten up too bad, not just the body but the exhaust, wiring, and all the fasteners and such.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Battery operated CO detector to carry with too, or just swipe the one from your house if it has battery backup.

Marine stores carry a battery only version too. rV stores probably cheaper.
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like great adventure and it sounds like you have prepared as well as you can. With basic tools and a AAA card you can't go wrong. Have a fun and safe journey
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be a fun adventure. Do you have more info on what kind of shape the van is supposed to be in to begin with?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your trip! I'm puzzeled though why someone from the west coast would fly to the east coast to buy a vanagon when the whole rest of the country would love to find a west coast van. There are so many out here that if you were patient, your van would find you. I hope its a good rig!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0

Thanks! Our Denver peeps may be out of town the day we arrive. I may look you up and treat you to dinner Friday night.

West coast/ East coat van:

The Van was purchased new in Portland Or. and lived just across the border in Washington. The Suby swap, trans, axles, ball joints, brakes, etc were all recently done a year and a half ago and was owned by the VW shop owner. The current owner was living in AZ at the time and bought the van from the PDX owner. He drove it back to AZ and then his career path forced a move in the last few months East. He is driving long distance from home to work at a random scheduled job with no opportunity to camp and with no kids right now, the van doesn't make as much sense as a TDI Jetta. I am fully aware of the rust belt and have shipped several cars/trucks from another hobby that direction. This one just had enough bells and whistles with ZERO west coast rust and was far enough away to burn the last few days of Vacation built up for the year to make it a FUN trip. Yes, they are easy to find out here in good shape, but the devalued price in his area, the upgrades and the road trip made it a no brainer Smile
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic's will follow as I document the Journey back....don't want to Jinx it ahead of time Rolling Eyes
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a fun trip. And, since you're driving and unknown van, probably an adventure as well. Sounds like you're going far north, but you can stop here in South Tahoe, depending on date. If there are problems, I'm a non-mechanical noob, but there is a good German shop in town that did my neighbor's Syncro Subie swap.

Have fun!
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and if you get really adventurous and decide to head north to bozeman (this winter is really a non- winter so far so it's definitely possible) give a shout! great community of Van peeps here.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what could go wrong?

If you have been up late reading the Samba, you should have a good idea of everything that could go wrong. There is currently a poor sole in South America with a blown Subaru engine.

You will make it or you won't. Pretty simple. Some feel that breaking down is what makes owning a classic vw worth it. I am not one of those. I prefer trouble free trips personally.

You have your wife with you. Have a good experience and she will be sold for life. Bad experience, you may have an uphill battle for some time.

Have a safe trip bring some cash. Believe it or not, there are places in this great country where you don't get a cell signal, no internet, no ATM etc. Cash can buy you out of a lot of jams.

Post up your trip. This comes up often and there seems to be a good balance of successful and not so successful first time trips.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i missed it... where are you flying to in order to pick up the van...

sounds like a great trip!

stuff i'd pick up for a trip like that:
household carbon monoxide detector
fire extinguisher
fluids (ie oil, coolant, etc)
some shop rags/towels
small metric tool kit (sockets/wrenches)
a set of blets
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the words of encouragement and ideas. Just shipped my tool bag, will pick up fluids when we get out there. AK is where we are headed first with a quick stop on the West side then up to Kansas City that night.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement and ideas. Just shipped my tool bag, will pick up fluids when we get out there. AK is where we are headed first with a quick stop on the West side then up to Kansas City that night.

I hope you mean Arkansas(AR), and not Alaska(AK). Laughing

By the way, what part of Arkansas? I have a lot roots in Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Gravette, Rogers, etc.).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: