Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fly in, drive 500 miles home in time for the holidays!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Fly in, drive 500 miles home in time for the holidays! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I usually spend my time in the Bay forum here, as my bus is like an extension of me. I got the VW genetics from my parents though, who are trying to get back in to the air-cooled scene. My dad just bought a '69 convertible for my mom for Christmas. To keep it a surprise, I'll be flying out to Phoenix, Arizona to pick it up, and driving it back to Los Angeles without her knowing. With work and family schedules, I have about four hours to inspect the car before signing it over, and ten hours to get it to Los Angeles. (I've made the drive in eight hours in my bus, for comparison.) Also, the car has dry-rotted tires.

I have packed a lifeboat tool kit in my luggage, and I have a nice size shipment of parts in the mail right now. Also, the car has no tie rods.

Anybody want to take bets on if I'll make it on time? Make it at all? Will I save Christmas or ruin it? Will I become a skeleton on the side of the desert landscape? Also, the car hasn't been on the highway in twelve years.

I'll be updating this thread throughout the day, and if you're anywhere near the 10, let me know if you mind a potential engine pull in your driveway! Wink I fully plan on doing the whole drive with the top down, pending rain. Also the car has no wipers.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it!
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it you have 5 hours of leeway. It shouldn't take 4 hours to inspect the car so let's say 1 hour to inspect and title work. Leaving 3 hours left to work on the car. You also have 2 hours of extra time in the drive. There is the 5 hours of leeway.

A car not driven in 12 years with know steering issues. The steering, brakes and motor need a thorough going over in 5 hours. I don't think that is enough time. My bets are you're not going to make it for Turkey and stuffing. Might be nice if some of the Phoenix folks showed up and lent a hand.

Of course I am judging by what a 12 year undriven car would be like in Kentucky. We have 90% humidity most of the time so all cylinders brakes/master/engine would be rusted solid.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem!

Finnegan and Frieberg do this stuff all the time on Roadkill. But then again, they have a camera car that follows them and it usually takes them a lot longer, too.
That being said, their cars usually overheat and spew antifreeze all over. You won't have the antifreeze issue so....

GO FOR IT!!!!

(Don't forget to video the whole trip and share. Sounds like a cool little adventure)

Dan
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh...
You can't drive it without tie rods...
B52Gunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite an adventure. If you are able to make it past the first turn without the tie rods, then your first stop should be a tire store...consider some new tires as a Christmas present for your Mom and Dad...and since it is up on the rack, have them throw some tie pods in as well. That 10 hours will become more like 15-20 when you have a blow out in the middle of nowhere and are forced to wait for AAA.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...not to mention the dry-rotted fan belt which will want to blow in the first 500 miles. I'd like to see you make it, but I personally wouldn't have the nerve. Good luck!
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope u have a very forgiving boss(4 being late). From cond u mentioned, NO way, easily be the trip from hell, gotta be more ressons it's sat 4 so long, my 2cts.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making.... Laughing

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fly in, drive 500 miles home in time for the holidays! Reply with quote

Robbie - I think you're being ambitious about only such few hours to check it, work on it, before driving it back to California. I'd paln to stay over and leave the next morning if I got everything done.

Yes, you'll need new tires, highway driving can readily cause such tires to explode, we've had at least 8 do that, even with tire pressures checked just before departing.

I'm in northeast Phoenix.

asiab3 wrote:
I fully plan on doing the whole drive with the top down, pending rain.

I don't advise this. With the top down, air flow to the engine is disrupted, and the engine will run hotter than with the top up, documented this on my own convertible. Regardless, do the tennis ball trick to prop open the bottom part of the engine lid. On one hand you'd like an engine with doghouse cooler, but on the other hand you'd like the original number H engine case.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take any chances , trailer the beauty home. Be Safe !
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier to ship a tow-bar and rent a u-haul van/pickup to drag it back home. Then all you'd really need to do is buy a new set of tires to have mounted and check wheel bearings.(I did this for my dad when he dragged his 69' up to me when he came up for a wedding, the car had been sitting for 17yrs). Well, I bought the tires online and had them shipped to him. Now I can do the work at my leisure, as there is a lot to do.

Hopefully yours is in better condition, GL.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thrilled with the mixed response here folks. I'm pleased to see both positive, negative, and (hopefully) sarcastic posts. I'll try to respond to everyone's concerns eventually, but I'm short on time and slow on type.

Tow baw/U-Haul
Air-cooled VWs are superlative road cars. Why would I subject myself to a truck and trailer? Also, this is a dad-to-mom gift, and ANY family absences besides mine will be questioned well before delivery on Christmas morning. No need to blow the surprise yet... (Ironically, I wont be old enough to rent a U-Haul until the day after I'm supposed to deliver the car!)

Trailer
We CAN, but it will blow the surprise. We WILL if we need to, but I'm trying to make this happen. My family loves a good Christmas Caper, and this would top the list of all time.

Tires
Alright this is not my first rodeo, I already had an appointment to get the standard Nankangs mounted and balanced, and I even left it (and the time block) out. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story... Twisted Evil

Belt, tie rods, parts
All getting delivered to my friend's house in Phoenix, today actually! Along with fuel lines, filter, points, plugs/wires, cables of all kinds, a spare T1 Bentley, and any other parts I've forgotten about. I have two pieces of luggage, both clocking in near the weight limit JUST full of tools. I'll be posting a complete list of everything I do after I do it before the drive.

Quote:
With the top down, air flow to the engine is disrupted, and the engine will run hotter than with the top up, documented this on my own convertible. Regardless, do the tennis ball trick to prop open the bottom part of the engine lid.

This is gold, THANK YOU! It's these little discrepancies like this from my usual bus driving that I'm so thankful for learning. Tennis ball is packed, and I'll keep the top up on the highway.

Car sat for so long
Again, hasn't been on the HIGHWAY. The owner pan-offed it 13 years ago and has driven it around town, to church, and on date nights. That may have been careful working on my part... Never let the truth...... It's never been parked outside, so sun damage (worse than rust in Phoenix, sometimes,) is not a factor.

Don't forget video
I will have pictures galore, but I'm too lazy with video to make it right. Plenty of pictures and a narrative will follow though, trust me!

I'm really looking forward to this, and I appreciate all the feedback. I was worried I would get flamed so hard I'd have to defend this with the laundry list of cars that I've saved. You folks are fun over here, the Bay forum might have given me an e-wedgie already.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now yer talkin'.
Have a fun trip. Very Happy
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: roadtrip Reply with quote

take plenty of water
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a solid plan and a solid car. If you do the preventative stuff you mentioned there should be no reason you won't make it. I hope you family has a memorable Christmas!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made it sound like it hadn't been driven/run in all that time. With the added info, it sounds like you have a better than 50/50 chance of pulling this off. It will be a great thing if you do. GL.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
You made it sound like it hadn't been driven/run in all that time. With the added info, it sounds like you have a better than 50/50 chance of pulling this off. It will be a great thing if you do. GL.

Yes I realize that highway might mean different things to different folks, so I apologize for the confusion.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into an Hasta Alaska road trip! Laughing

Robbie
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the office pool link for how many miles he gets without major issues?

Someone could make some serious Christmas Cash on this pool. Break it down into 100 mile increments........... Wink

Best of luck to you!
I'll be watching......

Popcorn

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Where's the office pool link for how many miles he gets without major issues?

Someone could make some serious Christmas Cash on this pool. Break it down into 100 mile increments........... Wink
Dave

Let me know how I can help. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: