Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Light Cameras ......... GONE!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Red Light Cameras ......... GONE!!! Reply with quote

Well, NJ may have more than it's share of issues to deal with but one thing that went right?

Red Light cameras are gone! Laughing (Not that I ever had a ticket from one)

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/201.../20501891/

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we got rid of ours, the first couple of months showed a dramatic increase in red light accidents, and strangely enough, cops writing red light tickets. Watch out for jackasses
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link won't load for me so I can't read the attached article.

Red light cameras wouldn't be so bad if they actually set them up to catch people who ran the red in place of squeezing more money out of the average motorist.

In a lot of locations they shortened the yellow time when the cameras were installed so they could catch more people running the red.

The big excuse for the cameras was that it was supposed to make the intersections safer. That could have been done by extending the yellow time, or having a delay after red before the other traffic gets the green. But that wouldn't have generated income.

From personal experience I hate them. They simply add more stress to an already overstressed situation and they don't take into consideration any circumstances like how close other traffic may be following, or what objects you have in your vehicle, or even the weather and road conditions. It's not always safe to stop.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, a short quote from the linked article.........

"As of Tuesday, there were 24 towns and 73 intersections in total with red-light cameras in New Jersey, Schapiro said.

In a statement on his website Tuesday, state Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon, R-Monmouth, said this was a great day for motorists in New Jersey. O'Scanlon has been perhaps the most tenacious critic of the cameras in the entire state Legislature.

"The N.J. Department of Transportation's five-year pilot program thankfully comes to an end today and has left the public with no doubt that these machines are only about revenue, not safety," O'Scanlon wrote. "Additionally, New Jersey has the great honor of being the FIRST state in the United States to throw out the cameras en masse! Many individual municipalities have begun rejecting cameras but New Jersey is the first state entity to give these ATMs (automated taxing machines) the boot."

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they are gone. They increased my anxiety level dramatically when approaching those intersections, not knowing when the light was going to turn yellow, and worrying whether I had enough time to get through.

But the problem of people running red lights is still just as bad as ever. There's nothing to do but look both ways before entering an intersection even if the light is green. I've stopped timing lights to get there just as it turns green and drive through, because the chances of someone running the red are higher than ever.

Like DrScope said above, maybe if those traffic light cameras had recorded you entering the intersection after the light turned red, they would have been much more useful.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
... to make the intersections safer. That could have been done by extending the yellow time, or having a delay after red before the other traffic gets the green. But that wouldn't have generated income.

They do this in Boston. It makes absolutely no difference. it worked for about a month until people figured it out.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all the traffic lights everywhere here pause after the red before turning the other direction green. This is one reason why people run the red here. They know they still have a couple of seconds after their light turns red before the other traffic reacts to their green and starts to move.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...dumb move

People will die in in the coming weeks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad there aren't any red lights on the GW Bridge.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
The link won't load for me so I can't read the attached article.

Red light cameras wouldn't be so bad if they actually set them up to catch people who ran the red in place of squeezing more money out of the average motorist.

In a lot of locations they shortened the yellow time when the cameras were installed so they could catch more people running the red.

The big excuse for the cameras was that it was supposed to make the intersections safer. That could have been done by extending the yellow time, or having a delay after red before the other traffic gets the green. But that wouldn't have generated income.

From personal experience I hate them. They simply add more stress to an already overstressed situation and they don't take into consideration any circumstances like how close other traffic may be following, or what objects you have in your vehicle, or even the weather and road conditions. It's not always safe to stop.

This has been my experience on the SoCal area as well. Local TV stations timed the lights and found a dramatically higher incidence of "shorter than standard" yellow lights on those with a red light camera.

As far as accident history, it's a mixed bag. There are more rear-end accidents with the cameras, and fewer T-bone crashes. Overall accidents increased, but the shift away from T-bone collisions means a slight overall increase in safety.

There are better ways to get this safety benefit with less expense. And the problem of texting/phone use is a real driver to these accidents as well. Red light camera do nothing to solve this.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While touted as a safety measure to the public, the companies that sell this technology to the police tout its ability to generate revenue.

The optimist in me would like to believe that the former is the reason that most municipalities buy this technology, but my pessimism leads me to believe that the latter is the reason why we have so many of these in our communities now.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had red light cameras in LESS busy intersections then they would have some evidence of who is at fault when somebody runs a red and hits something.

No lack of witnesses? then no need for a camera, and who would run a red in front of an audience anyhow??

Must be about the money
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my county they put a camera and the local town said its in their jurisdiction and they would get the fines, so the county removed it.

When "Sandy" hit and knocked the cameras out for a week or so, the county complained about the money they were loosing.

It was always about the money.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Red Light Cameras ......... GONE!!! Reply with quote

I think the issue out here was twofold. First, your constitutional right to face your accuser. Can't do that with a camera. Second, the camera companies were getting a slice of the pie, so they were photoing people who really hadn't run the light, even people turning right. Classic case of a conflict of interest. A lot of talk apparently about how the fines out here now can't be enforced. It's pretty much died down out here as far as I can tell.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras are another problematic area and often just a revenue generating machine. Once you know where they are you just slow down for half a block and then get right back up to speed.

Baltimore city had so many problems with their program they ended up having to scrap the hole thing.

In my county they only put roaming speed cameras up in construction zones. And they put up jersey wall and a port-a-pot right where the car with the camera sits, So if you make the trip occasionally you know where the cameras will be. Just keep an eye open for the port-a-pot and slow down when you see it.

The stationary cameras are in the school zones. My biggest beef is that they have cameras near the high school at the bottom of a long hill, but not at the elementary school where the road is flat. High school kids should know better then to step off the curb without looking, and if not, it's probably best they be removed from the gene pool. But 6 and 7 year old kids don't have that sort of sense yet.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the tickets issued to some of our fleet vehicles. Less money than you think goes to your community. The companies set these up at their cost and give the city a cut for sanctioning the install and providing a local review procedure. I don't recall exactly, but I think the government body gets less than a third, the rest of the exorbitant fee goes to the red light cam company, usually in another state.

Its basically a government sanctioned private tax assessment by a monopoly, with the government getting a cut of hush money. Its The American Way!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city of Yucaipa installed one at the one main intersection here in town -- and after a year in service the revenue wasn't at the level to break even with the minimum fees charge by the company, so it was shut down and removed.....

I got a ticket mailed to me from this camera -- -- I had entered the intersection .002 second after it had went red -- went to court, and the supervising officer dismissed the charges without me even seeing the judge
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had them here as well as the photo radar traps. All were posted to let drivers know. Well the contract was coming for renewal and City Council wanted to get the company to move the photo radar traps to the red light intersextions, oops.
The company said it would not be cost effctive for them. Council did not renew the contract. They are all gone.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tom Tom would beep when approaching an intersection with a red light camera. Nice feature.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having traveled widely and lived in a lot of medium and big cities.....I have found that the public data in most cities shows that the MOST dollars generated by red light cameras are actually from nailing drivers who turn right on red.

They do this because in 90% of all places...you are required to come to a FULL stop before turning right on a red. The cameras are calibrated to nab those who dont come to a full stop.....which I think is a stupid way to generate money. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: